Dangerous Beams?

Bastler

Newly Enlightened
Many hight performance flashlights sold in Germany have warnings not to look into the beam. Some manufacturer even have laser-signs on the lights. Does anybody know, how dangerous it is for the eyes to look into the beam of a 1W or 3W luxeon? Do we have a doctor here or has anybody experience with that?

Thanks!

stockwiz

Enlightened
I can barely stare into the beam of my modded 3D mag with a TWAK direct driven at an angle, much less stare at the hotspot itself. I'd imagine that starting into the beam of this sucker would be damaging. It all depends on how much the luxeon is driven, and how tight the beam. I'd never point the thing at my face and turn it on.. never. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The one watt luxeons aren't as bad though.. I've taken an Arc LS pointed it in my face and turned it on already. Although if the beam is tight enough who knows. Simple thing to do is not stare into the beams /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
do not do it.
even when you do not realize any apparent damage after the "afterimages" have left some times later after staring into the beam, there is cumulative damage for sure.
it is the same thing as staring into a laser, only to a much lesser degree.
and what is the purpose anyway? ok ... wrong question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... or ... wrong place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Bastler ...
welcome.gif
... and .... just don't do it. I am a doctor, if this helps your decision. Common sense should help considerably more though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard

EDIT: those flashlights you are referring to are the LedLenser V2 Power Chip, V2 Law Enforcement and V6 Series I suppose? Forget the warning, it is just a clever marketing trick. Here, you'll find much better than LedLensers. Try Surefire and Arc for a start ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not clear to me why one would want to stare into the beam of any light. Talk about being a Flashaholic!

I avoid looking directly into lights either bright or not so bright.

Take the Dr's advice. Don't do it.

Jerry

Bastler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the answers!

Don't worry, I don't want to do any self-tests. The brightest flashlight I have ist the Elektrolumens FT-3C. For shure I have no idea to stare into it, I do not blind others or even animals.

Some friends of mine laught when I didn't want to give the FT-3C to their son, aged about 6 years. They thought I was overprotective, I am thankful that you share my decision.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd say it's a bad idea.
but i admit, i've stared into the beam of every flashlight i own..
including the FT3C. ha.

i'm still seeing just fine. but like Kiessling said, "Cumulative damage for sure"

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bastler -

Welcome to CandlePowerForums.

I've learned from members here that it is not a good idea to look at even the reflections of some flashlight beams. Some of the incandescent modded lights would have a beam that, if looked at reflecting off of a white wall at one meter, would not be good. I read a recent post where Ailsnail successfully caught a newspaper on fire with the beam from one of his modded incandescent lights.

I've also learned from members here that looking at the reflections of 5W and 3W Cyan or Royal Blue lights is bad mojo.

I've further learned that it is sometimes the mildly insane that like Cyan and Royal blue. It is the certifiable insane that catch things on fire with their flashlights and it is those people that become my heroes.

Have fun.

- Jeff

Bastler

Newly Enlightened
@ Icebreak: a newspaper cought fire?? Well yes, it is possible with a 20 W halogen home light too.
Interesting, what you have written about the reflections. I will keep this in mind and be more careful in the future.

@ Icebreak and Kiessling: Thank you for feeling welcome!

@ BBTL take care of your self! I agree with IB that insane people can become heroes, but what is that worth, if you can't read your honors on CPF? :->

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I want to check the beam quality of a flashlight
I find that aiming the flashlight at a sheet of white
paper and looking at the paper can give me an indication
of how bright the emmited light is and also the purity.
Saves my eyes ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

evanlocc

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:
If I want to check the beam quality of a flashlight
I find that aiming the flashlight at a sheet of white
paper and looking at the paper can give me an indication
of how bright the emmited light is and also the purity.
Saves my eyes ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good method for checking of brightness. Brilliant ideal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PoppyGoddess

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
I've also learned from members here that looking at the reflections of 5W and 3W Cyan or Royal Blue lights is bad mojo.

I've further learned that it is sometimes the mildly insane that like Cyan and Royal blue. It is the certifiable insane that catch things on fire with their flashlights and it is those people that become my heroes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, looking at cyan or royal blue luxeon is definitely a no-no. I was told they use that for dental curing as they are near uv spectrum. Some LED guy told me Luxeon has lots blue components, which fears me.

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
what about the arc aaa
and the arc aa
the beams look pretty blue
wouuld it be bad using them as reading lights?
i have used them as reading lights and there is lots of light reflected back at you

my arc lsl-s also seems pretty blue
and my surefire L4 more green
last 2 lights too bright to be used for reading lights

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
All,
What's the line from that old song.

"Mamma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun
But mamma, that's where the fun is"

Generally speaking it's not too smart to abuse ones sense organs.

In this is easy enough to do with modern equipment.

Music that is too loud. (what I lisiten to)

Lights that are too bright. (this activity)

Too much spice on dinner (Beliez hot sause)

too high a heat or too cold to handle (environmental testing)

Or things that smell foul. (New Jersey)

It's also a matter of refference. If I happen to look into the business end of my little 3 LED while dark adapted it's dazzeling. If I do it in sunlight, the led's are hard to see.

For what it's worth.

Be well
Jack Crow in Iraq