Nitecore TM38 and TM38 Lite

RedBaron

Newly Enlightened
Good grief...with a 1 mile+ throw, I'll need binoculars to see what it's lighting up! :eek:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $460 USD at the Nitecore Store, that kind of power isn't cheap. It's a hundred dollars less for the Lite version. I guess if doing your job depended on reaching out that far, it would be worth the money. It would be nice to have just for the WOW factor, but I can't see buying a light for that alone that costs as much as one month's rent. I guess I will just live vicariously via whoever does a review with a lot of great photos.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a TM36 with an XHP35 HI swapped in. I have a TM36. Its good, but its not nearly worth the price. I don't think this light will be either. Thrunite TN42 looks like a better light for half the price.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a TM36 with an XHP35 HI swapped in. I have a TM36. Its good, but its not nearly worth the price. I don't think this light will be either. Thrunite TN42 looks like a better light for half the price.

When I purchased my first TM36, I paid around $350, a few month later, a second for $229 and a third as the Lite version for $189.

Comparing the fit and finish of Nitecore and Thrunite is like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo.

1400 meter or yard range from a stock LED light is impressive.

The price will be discounted in a couple of months, but no one discounts newly introduced lights, especially throwers.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I purchased my first TM36, I paid around $350, a few month later, a second for $229 and a third as the Lite version for $189.

Comparing the fit and finish of Nitecore and Thrunite is like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo.

1400 meter or yard range from a stock LED light is impressive.

The price will be discounted in a couple of months, but no one discounts newly introduced lights, especially throwers.

Yeah I didn't pay full price for mine either. Actually I wound up with mine in a trade and came out quite good in the deal, in my opinion, but still its a very expensive light and, in my opinion, not worth nearly full price.

In your comparison above I'm honestly not sure which is the Cadillac and which is the Yugo :laughing:. I've bought several Thrunites, from the big ones like the TN32 and 35, down to the little twisties. I did find the twisties to feel a bit cheap, especially their ti, but the big Thrunites are rock solid and built like tanks. They're awesome lights that have served me well and never missed a beat. Nitecore, on the other hand, has presented me with several issues including lights dying for no good reason. So to be honest, if it was priced the exact same as the TN42 I'd still buy the Thrunite. Its the better light. I'm not impressed by this offering from Nitecore at all.

Gigaslux

Newly Enlightened
The TM36/8 is a high quality flashlight, has a very good battery pack and is also very nice. The TN42 with that huge reflector seems an upside down pot.

Capolini

Banned
TOO heavy, TOO much Money and a proprietary battery back!!

The TN42 is much smaller/lighter, can use your OWN batteries and is about HALF the price.It also has more lumens[2000] and more throw[1550m/600Kcd],,,a no brainer!

I have seen [besides V54 version] other member measure the stock version and the THROW exceeds 600Kcd,,,,,closer to 700Kcd.

I think you would have to be crazy to buy this light.

My MODDED V54:Spec 1 XHP35 HI CW 6500K $250 (Recommended)
Lumen: 2400
Lux: 775
Throw: 1760m

Capolini

Banned
The TM36/8 is a high quality flashlight, has a very good battery pack and is also very nice. The TN42 with that huge reflector seems an upside down pot.

lol!!! Very good battery pack where you are DEPENDENT on the manufacturer for replacement!! Guaranteed to be at least $100 to replace.PLUS the fact that I can easily and constantly maintain their health with my Opus BT-C3100 and my DMM.

4 x 30Q will cost me $20 at my hometown dealer[Liionwholesale.com] or 4 X VTC6 will cost me $25!:D

The HUGE reflector is a primary reason why the TN42 throws more!

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on Capolini, you know you want one of theses lights. [emoji41]
The LITE version of the TM36/38 uses 4 user installed batteries that can be changed out like other Nitecore Tiny Monster lights.

The propriety battery pack holds 8 -18650 batteries, making the lights a tad bit shorter than a Fenix TK61/75 light with the extended runtime kit.

Capolini

Banned
Come on Capolini, you know you want one of theses lights. [emoji41]
The LITE version of the TM36/38 uses 4 user installed batteries that can be changed out like other Nitecore Tiny Monster lights.

The propriety battery pack holds 8 -18650 batteries, making the lights a tad bit shorter than a Fenix TK61/75 light with the extended runtime kit.

Not really! They are way overpriced and don't perform quite as well as a tn42!

I got my tk61 VN V4 for about $300. That is about 1800 lumens and 770Kcd.:thumbsup:

I don't need all those fancy readouts either! LOL! Once I do runtime test I know my light and batteries perfectly and never once were discharged too low.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Not really! They are way overpriced and don't perform quite as well as a tn42!

I got my tk61 VN V4 for about $300. That is about 1800 lumens and 770Kcd.:thumbsup:

I don't need all those fancy readouts either! LOL! Once I do runtime test I know my light and batteries perfectly and never once were discharged too low.

That is soo much throw for that amount of lumens. I almost feel the the tn42vn would be a pencil beam with the intensity of a lightsaber. I think the tn40vn almost has too much throw.

Capolini

Banned
That is soo much throw for that amount of lumens. I almost feel the the tn42vn would be a pencil beam with the intensity of a lightsaber. I think the tn40vn almost has too much throw.

lumens is not the determining factor in how far a light throws. My osts tn31 mb is only 750 to 800 lumens Max it is 470Kcd.

I think the xsvn is only about 400 lumens and it throws 450Kid. An aspheric light.

Capolini

Banned
You are correct, but having 750 lumens and 470k lux makes quite a tight beam.

It is a bit of a pencil beam,amazing throw but I like ones w/ decent lumens that also throw far.

The TN42vn CW is NOT really a pencil beam. It also has enough peripheral light compared to the OSTS TN31mb. The TK61vn V4 does not have as much lumens[~1800] as the TN42vn , but a much nicer beam profile and similar throw.

Best of both worlds would be the TK75vn SST40 Quad. It is 7500 lumens/420Kcd.Plenty of throw and lumens!:thumbsup:

HARDUSVD70

Newly Enlightened
My Thrunite TN42 (cw) is making 750Kcd and TM38 Lite making 520Kcd when switching on.

Ftsouth

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to find out where to get the smaller 4 -18650 battery case for my TM38. I just purchased the full-size model with the proprietary battery and wanted to have the option of using the smaller battery pack.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to find out where to get the smaller 4 -18650 battery case for my TM38. I just purchased the full-size model with the proprietary battery and wanted to have the option of using the smaller battery pack.

I believe that Battery Junction can order the LITE battery tube for you. It might not have the TM38 LITE nomenclature written on the side like Nitecore did for the TM36, but they're all the same between the TM15, TM26, and TM36 as well as the TM38.

Ftsouth

Newly Enlightened
In response to my question about how to acquire the NITECORE "LITE" battery tube/compartment for my TM38 light, the answer is that NITECORE does not offer this for sale. I have contacted two US distribution points and also reached out directly to NITECORE through their customer service email addresses. Something to consider for my future purchases.