Is it possible to fix the soft switch on my Zebralight SC600w ii L2?

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
I've had this for a yea or two and like it other than the sloppy switch which seems to be getting worse.

I have a SC62w as well which has a nice crisp switch in comparison - it may be this which makes me think the SC600 is getting softer.

I'd like to keep it if the switch can be fixed, I keep missing the intended 'click' when you double click, so if anyone has a fix I'd love to know.

I guess I could always cough up for the mk iii HI but I like the spring arrangement over the pogos as I prefer the idea of more give & movement.

thanks

David

TCY

Enlightened
Not many ZL owners fix their own light afaik. You can always contact ZL and send it back for a repair/switch replacement, but it's gonna cost you.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a torn switch cover-sent it to Zebralight in Texas and a couple weeks later received it in the mail. The only expense was my decision to ship it Priority USPS. Tech support was awesome-I recommend giving them a call.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
Why did I overlook the obvious? I will follow your advice and give them a call, it simply never occurred to me to do so.

I guess I assume that once I've bought something it's usually too much trouble than it's worth to get on the merry-go-round with customer service. I'll give Zebralight a go though.

thanks

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralights are notoriously hard to mod or fix yourself.

If it's breaking, I suggest sending it to Zebralight for warranty repair.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep sending it in to ZL is definitely the best course of action. Their lights are almost impossible to mod or take apart and their service is good from what I've heard on here. I've never had to use it but others have reported great results with the customer service. Let us know how it goes :)

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
Let me preface my comment by saying that I'm a long time Z.L. fan and have owned many on their models over the years going back to my 1st h31 (which still works perfectly!) Anyway, I'm glad someone bought up the topic of the "soft switch" because it's been something that's deserved more scrutiny. While Z.L. has improved over time in making the switch cover deeper and less prone to accidental activation, the CONSISTENCY of the switch has been all over the place. Let's go thru a few of my models: All my older Z.L.'s: h60, h51c, h31, ~all have nice firm boot caps and no air underneath(along with a nice, sharp, click). Fast forward to when I ordered my daughters their h52w's in 2013: extremely "mushy" switches...cant believe they ever left the factory. Needless to say, they went back in a hurry along with some constructive criticism. My subsequent 5 Zeabralights since have varied, none unacceptable, but only one that I would describe as "high end" flashlight quality. You would think Z.L. would realize that the user interface preforms so much better when the switch is firm and the detent is deep. I understand that a soft switch (with air pocket under it) works, but it just doesn't preform as well or feel like a quality 60 to 100 dollar flashlight to me. Zeabralight needs to to up the standard on this if they want to be considered the best of the U.S. based, made in China lights.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
Well, the sc600 was my first real high-end-ish purchase, I bought an Olight S15 around the same time as well which is great but AA and horrible tint but great in other ways however the Zebralight blew me away.
It seems to me that in all aspects bar the infamous tint lottery and the switch - which you do not hear so much about now - they are pretty much the benchmark. I have an Armytek Wizard pro which really is fantastic although you need a very strong thumb to operate but in all other aspects is hard to fault but the ZL just has the edge.

I prefer side switches to twisties or rear switches - but each to their own - nonetheless I think the quality on a reasonably expensive item should be consistent throughout. This is the only criticism I have of the offerings at the moment, the quality is variable but if you get a good one it is very good.

Anyway, back to the topic; I will contact customer service and see what they say.

markr6

Flashaholic
They gave some feedback a while back about switching (HA!) switch manufacturers. Hell if I could find that even by searching all 85,201 zebralight threads.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
OK, to close out - I contacted CS who promptly replied saying they will repair out of warranty torches for $15 which seems eminently reasonable. All I need to do is send it to China which carries some risk of course not to mention a few weeks elapsed time to return.

There are two RMA numbers quoted which is confusing so I will mention both.

I now recall other threads mentioning the $15 charge, with positive outcomes so I am looking forward to a fixed switch.

David

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, to close out - I contacted CS who promptly replied saying they will repair out of warranty torches for $15 which seems eminently reasonable. All I need to do is send it to China which carries some risk of course not to mention a few weeks elapsed time to return.

There are two RMA numbers quoted which is confusing so I will mention both.

I now recall other threads mentioning the $15 charge, with positive outcomes so I am looking forward to a fixed switch.

David

Good luck, I'm curious to see how it works out. I've seen very positive reports on here about the process, other than the fact it can take a few weeks with shipping and all. Maybe also make a note that you want to make sure the new switch has the firm click to it just in case!

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
Update! I realise this is has taken a while but today I received what appears to be a shiny new replacement for the unit I sent in.

Naturally this was a day after I sent a query asking how much longer I was likely to wait given the package was sent on 16 October.
So after a quick test the switch is nice and everything seems to work as specified.

I am pretty impressed at the customer service I have to say. There might have been quite a few weeks from sending (in August) to them receiving and then returning (3 weeks ago) and I was convinced it had gone astray but all is good now and I am a happy camper.

So my advice to any interested party would be to take the chance for $15 and the possible loss in transit (which might not be too much of a loss if it is defective) to repair or receive what appears a replacement unit.

Credit where credit's due, they stand by their policy.

TCY

Enlightened
Thanks for the update, good to hear that ZL took care of you.:popcorn:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update. Gee, you mailed it on 10-16 and got it back on 11-7....... that's pretty good. Here in the states we send it directly to ZL in Texas, and they in turn send it to China, so usually a one month turn around.

In any case, it's always good to hear about a positive customer service experience. Enjoy your "new" light : )

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent, thanks for sharing! I've never had to send any of mine in yet but it's reassuring to know they'll take care of things, even when out of warranty!

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update. Gee, you mailed it on 10-16 and got it back on 11-7....... that's pretty good. Here in the states we send it directly to ZL in Texas, and they in turn send it to China, so usually a one month turn around.

In any case, it's always good to hear about a positive customer service experience. Enjoy your "new" light : )

No, not quite - I sent it to China in August, they replied that it was on the way on 16 October and it finally arrived a few days ago. Not sure if Australia post added to the delay though - it can take 10 days or more for a package to arrive from the east to here in the west - twice as long as a package from the UK or Europe, which is ridiculous. Anyway, I was prepared for a wait.....

TCY

Enlightened
Auspost is decent enough to get your stuff to the other side of the world in a couple days. EMS China is the problem here. They are a PITA to deal with.