USSOCOM issue M720v RAID has flaws

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
I had read articles that USSOCOM has awarded Surefire to be used for their weapon lights.
One of the light is the Surefire M720v RAID and a Scout series light as well.

I read here on this forum and on many other reviews that they have issues with these M720 lights due to the light turning on during radio transmissions. And the light is now not even sold at any retailers. Maybe now it's discontinued because of this issue?

If that's the case, then what has USSOCOM be replacing the light with?

This is bad...if the light has such a flaw in it, I wonder what SOCOM will use now.

swampgator

Enlightened
This is bad...if the light has such a flaw in it, I wonder what SOCOM will use now.

Considering SOCOM elements were the originators of weapons lights (C-Cell Mags duck taped to MP5s, Surefire hose clamped onto Carbines), I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
They know what they're doing.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup:

On a serious note - "turning on during radio transmissions" - what the hell?

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible for burst high power radio waves to power up LEDs?

I read once in a review of a powerful laser that the owner shone the laser beam on a flashlight LED, and the LED started to emit light like current was flowing through it.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read here on this forum and on many other reviews that they have issues with these M720 lights due to the light turning on during radio transmissions.

lol too good, please let this somehow be true. WHere have we gone

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Was the problem discovered after USSOCOM bought a thousand of these units? :) Funny part would be if they switched to Maglite.

nbp

Flashaholic
I did a bunch of google searches and couldn't find documented reference to this issue other than this thread. Nor have I heard of this with other flashlights? Any sources where we can read about this OP?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very likely Radio Frequency Interference aka RFI.
When I key a 500 watt transmitter at my house, it will make my neighbors Solar Led path lights come on about 50 feet away. 1Kw makes his wireless subwoofer pop and his wireless keyboard inoperable. He can also hear the transmissions on his speaker phones. lol So, I can see how that making a flashlight illuminate could be possible. FWIW: I have never seen any of my flashlights come on in my room when transmitting with the antenna about 30 feet away. But, I could see how it could happen. Especially with a electronic switch. It is worth considering, some frequencies, transmitters and antennas could be more prone to producing RFI as well as switch designs.