CMG / Gerber (Fiskars)

JJHitt

Enlightened
Below, I have included the press release announcing CMG's being bought by Gerber.

Like any press relase, it lacks any solid information that I care about: Will they keep the entire product line? Will they rebrand the products? Is this a good time to snatch up the Infinities, and if so, who has them on sale?

- - -
Gerber Legendary Blades Acquires CMG Equipment
Gerber Legendary Blades, leading manufacturer of knives, multi-tools and outdoor recreation gear acquires CMG Equipment. CMG is recognized as a leading manufacturer of LED portable outdoor lighting.

Portland, OR (PRWEB) January 17 2004--Gerber Legendary Blades®, known internationally for quality knives, multi-tools and outdoor recreational gear, has acquired CMG Equipment, LLC. CMG is recognized as a leading manufacturer and marketer of Light Emitting Diode (L.E.D.)-based portable outdoor lighting products. L.E.D. technology, with virtually indestructible bulbs that burn for over 100,000 hours and consume a fraction of the energy of their incandescent peers, is reshaping the portable lighting industry.

CMG's innovative lights will form the foundation of a complete Gerber L.E.D. lighting line, with additional products to be released later this year. The company's operations will be relocated from Chicago to Gerber's headquarters in Portland, Oregon.

"With the acquisition of CMG and the launch of our lighting line, Gerber is taking another step in our development as a world-class outdoor recreation company," said Gerber President Chad Vincent. "The L.E.D. lighting market is positioned for explosive growth, and the products, expertise and technology CMG brings to Gerber will help us capitalize on that opportunity."

Gerber Legendary Blades has long been recognized as a leading manufacturer of world-class knives, multi-function tools and outdoor recreational products for discerning sportsmen and outdoor enthusiasts. The company specializes in general purpose and activity specific models, including the Gerber AR 3.00™ Series of one-handed opening knives and the MULTI-PLIER® 600 Series of one-handed opening multi-tools.

For more information, contact [email protected] or visit our website www.gerberblades.com.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Wow, it'll be interesting to see what develops from this aquisition. Will they still operate under the CMG name?

nisshin

Enlightened
The press release mentions "The company's operations will be relocated from Chicago to Gerber's headquarters in Portland, Oregon." I wonder if CMG's employees will make the move as well. A company's product is not only the technology but also the employees dedicated to looking after and improving it.

nisshin

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
nisshin,

[A company's product is not only the technology but also the employees dedicated to looking after and improving it.]

Amen to that.

Jerry

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
I just wonder if the will now discontinue all "black flashlights" as being too scary only too then reintroduce less popular models of the same type light after sales drop. Think Gerber Mark I and II after Fiskars bought Gerber.

Streak

Enlightened
AFAIK branding will change from CMG to Gerber.
Key personnel from CMG will continue to manage the lighting products.
My own spculation is that as in any merger/buyout their will be a review of the product range.

Aux

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nisshin said:
A company's product is not only the technology but also the employees dedicated to looking after and improving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A concept that most corporate pinheads/executives seem incapable of understanding.

DLG

Newly Enlightened
My hopes are that CMG stays the same. But reality sets in and tells me otherwise. Its been my experience that when something gets bigger, it does not necessarily mean better. Often times just the opposite.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
OK, I've just heard back from my contact at CMG. Here's an excerpt:

Hi Craig,
It is true. Gerber acquired CMG recently, and will be rebranding all CMG products as Gerber items. ("Gerber Infinity Ultra") New packaging and branding will be in stores in April.

Gerber is very committed to developing a Lighting program, and has the full backing of our corporate parent, Fiskars. The CMG team will move on to serve as the foundation of the lighting team at Gerber. Expect many more new products from Gerber lighting, with much deeper engineering and marketing support.

So there's the poop. Straight from the horse's mouth.
O wait, horses don't eat that crap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tesla

Enlightened
Hopefully, this will mean deeper pockets for R&D and not the "why make improvements? we're selling all we can make now" philosophy.