Interesting Experience With My Lumintop Tool

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently received the last light I am going to buy for a while, a Lumintop Tool in basic black with the Nichia emitter. Last night I decided to throw a cell into it and compare it to one of my other Tools. I inadvertently grabbed a 10440 instead of a regular AAA and dropped it in. As soon as I saw how bright it was I realized my mistake and took it out again. I then dropped in one of my NiMH AAA cells. To my surprise, I found out that if I switched the Tool on completely, it wouldn't light up except for a single flash. But if I only partially pressed the switch, it would work. I thought it might be the cell, since it been sitting around for a while, so I checked it with my ZTS, and it showed 50%. Should work still but who knows. Then dropped in a lithium primary, same results. My last choice was the last alkaline AAA cell I own, and nothing. Nada. Closer inspection revealed that the tail cap was only screwing down about half way. When I looked into the tailcap, the spring and internal mechanism seemed closer to the end then they were before. There is some sort of ring with two opposing slots in the tail cap. I took a small screwdriver and tried rotating that ring clockwise. Wonder of Wonders, the whole unit started moving back up into the tail cap. When I had rotated it as far as it would go, I tested it again. Worked just fine, with any one of my three different types of AAA cells. Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else runs into this problem. Other than that, the Tool is a nice little light. I have three or four now (black with Nichia, black with Cree, and one or two Copper with Nichia [I'm not sure right now]} and these will be my last light purchases for hopefully a long while. We'll see how well my will power holds up. :whistle:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same size and similar labels and not paying enough attention.
glad you figured out your switch was loose, totally unrelated to battery types used...

as far as the 10440, some people Do use them in the Copper (and Aluminum) tool, and it works fine for them, the modes get brighter.
The TiTool is different, it becomes single mode on LiIon.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad you figured out your switch was loose, totally unrelated to battery types used...

as far as the 10440, some people Do use them in the Copper (and Aluminum) tool, and it works fine for them, the modes get brighter.
The TiTool is different, it becomes single mode on LiIon.
I would really like to have those users who reported that it worked fine for them speak up again about six months to a year later. I have seen many reports where yes, it worked, no immediate magic blue smoke, but later on either the light failed totally, or when they tried going back to a regular AAA, they would only get one mode. Apparently, if it doesn't smoke immediately, the higher voltage accelerates the aging of the components in the driver circuit, with the result of either failing into direct drive only, or failing totally. In addition, the higher voltage creates more heat in the LED, which accelerates its aging as well. But since it seems that no one is ever going to do a rigorous scientific test, we will just have to agree to disagree.

The main reason I made the post was the tail cap issue. I knew to look for it because about a year ago a member of 'that other forum' reported that his BLF 364 switch didn't work after dropping it. To me it sounded like the switch, since it is only press fit, had slid forward, a fact I remembered from a review of the light I read. When he took a pencil top eraser and pushed it back slightly it worked just fine again. I just want to let others know that this can occur, and how to correct it.

sgt253

Enlightened
Glad you figured out the cause. Happened to me too. Just a loose switch. Never tried 10440, too scared to. Best.