Review: Skilhunt S3 Pro

narmattaru

Enlightened
Review example was provided by Skilhunt.
——

Skilhunt is not that kind o company that often issue new products. Here in Russia it is famous for H03 headlamp which quickly gained status of "people`s choice" for it`s quality and flexible UI. But what about regular flashlights, manufacturer releases new products a way more seldom than other ones.
Let me talk about Skilhint S3 pro, new hunting\tactical model.

- Super bright CREE XHP35 LED, high-performance, high-efficiency and energy conservation
- Durable aluminum vacuum plating reflector, efficiency reflection, perfect beam shot, excellent structure and temperature resistance
- New glass lens with full-wave band AR coating, completely loss-less brightness
- Rugged indestructible aluminum body with anti-scratching type III hard anodization
- Multi-level dissipating heat design, excellent heat dissipation. Flashlight head integrated construction, high thermal conductivity
- Flashlight with built-in Micro USB charging design, better compatibility, charging more convenient
- Dual-mode design, simple tactical mode, and extended multi-mode, to meet the difference use of environment
- Eight output and three flashing modes from pre-set to meet different needs
- Wide input range provides more choices of batteries. high-efficiency driver circuit, no visible flash in any mode
- Automatic memory function, remember last used setting and can be preset to specific output mode for instant access
- Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
- Both timing decrease output and temperature control output, double protection, avoid the high-temperature damage flashlight

JnakPA0o3fk.jpg

PACKAGE AND APPEARANCE.
S3`s package consists of outer black paper shell and cardboard box inside it. They both have quite minimalistic design that has become popular last years. This box is not motley, nut still accurate and is ok for gift. Material quality is ok as well.
186088.jpg

0035cb.jpg

d194e5.jpg

176350.jpg

Inside:
d1c14f.jpg

• S3 pro itself
  • manual
  • micro ISB charging cable
  • lanyard
  • spare orings and tail button
  • clip (at first , i haven`t noticed it in small packet with lanyard)
8f343f.jpg

So, that`s how S3 pro looks like
d566e4.jpg

3c2721.jpg

793f9d.jpg

Flashlight, no surprise, is not EDC size short. That is a regular size for tactical light.
Length 143.7mm/5.66inch , head diameter 36.0mm/1.41inch, Body diameter 25.4mm/1.0inch
Weight: 125g /4.4oz(exclude battery)
205a33.jpg

There is no removable tactical ring, but as tail diameter is wide then body, this provides firm grip.
3b3ce2.jpg

Tail has 4 U-shaped hollows, which make it easier for finger to reach button. That is also a kinda of analog of aggressive crown-shaped bezel.
57f1a8.jpg

Side button is wide enough, so finger easy locates it.
f429cd.jpg

It also serves as charge-discharge indicator.
19da72.jpg

b98f91.jpg

fcbf75.jpg

421764.jpg

Knurling is small, but as there is quite wide tail, it has no bad influence on grip.
ff86d7.jpg

403ac3.jpg

4e3f7d.jpg

Cooling ribs are good both in deepness and number of them.
2065d4.jpg

Head is something intermediate between big and small. I bet you`ve already met this sort of lights, so understand what I mean. It is bigger than EDC`s but smaller that thrower`s one.
88bd40.jpg

As i`ve mentioned, bezel is, no surpise, crown-shaped. And it is non removable. I mean you an unscrew the whole part in matter to disassemble head, but you cannot unscrew just small ring with teeth.
ac1be9.jpg

6f0201.jpg

Reflector is SMO, regular solution for tactical flashlight.
3c5e36.jpg

be4a59.jpg

d4f459.jpg

ae9219.jpg

Glass is AR coated.
67a4c2.jpg

There are choice of 2 versions of LED: CREE XHP35 HD / HI
95fcca.jpg

May be there is also a difference in driver amperage, because I don't think that 1400 vs 1600 lums can be explained by simple fact that one LED is dedomed and another is not.

3e873f254b.jpg

4b1388.jpg

S3 pro is dualspring.
887971.jpg

7c66dd.jpg

There are a lot of lubrication on threads right from manufactory. Threads are mid-size.
a9a356.jpg

USB chargin port is located at the opposite from side button part of head. Plug is really tight, so IPX-8 is not questionable. I measured amperage, 1A.
fc9a08.jpg

My impression of design and quality is : well built thing with quite regular (for tactical light) appearance. Just workhorse.
UI
Well, when I saw manual 1st time that was like :" WHAT?". But once I`ve spent 5-7 minutes to figure things out, there is no questions at all. I`ll copy it from Skilhunt website. If you`ve already used H03 headlamp, you`ll get quickly used to this one as well.
Flashlight turning on/off, Brightness and Modes switching (Simple tactical mode and Extended multi-mode):
– Gently press(no click) the tail switch to momentary light; Full press (clip) the tail switch then locked to turn on or turn off the flashlight.

When the tail switch is locked on, hold press side button 0.5 seconds to turn off, And then hold press side switch 3 seconds to switching to simple tactical mode or extended multi-mode.
Simple tactical mode (the main light flashes 3 times when switching to this mode): When the tail switch is locked on: Click the side button to change brightness : Low L1 – Medium M1 – High H1 – Turbo T1, Cycle; Quickly double-click the side button directly into the S1 Strobe, click back to last used brightness;
Hold press the side button 0.5 seconds into turn off state: Click side button to Turbo T1 brightness; Quickly double-click to S1 Strobe; Hold press side button 0.5 seconds to Low L1 brightness; When Full press tail switch turn off: Full Press tail switch again turn on to memory last used setting.
《《《《《《《—————-Hold Press side button 3 seconds to switching ——————–》》》》》》
Extended multi-mode (the main light flashes 1 time when switching to this mode):
When the tail switch is locked on:
Click the side button to change brightness : Low L1 – Medium M1 – High H1 – Turbo T1, Cycle;

Quickly double-click the side button to switch Sub-level(i.e between L1 & L2), turn off memorized the last used brightness.
When flashlight in brightness mode, quickly triple press the side button to Strobe (S1), then double-click to switch S1/S2/S3 mode, Press side button back to previous brightness Or turn off memorized the previous brightness.
Hold press the side button 0.5 seconds into turn off state:
Click side button to last used brightness; Quickly double-click to Turbo brightness; Hold press side button 0.5 seconds to Low brightness; Quickly triple press the side button to Strobe mode.
When Full press tail switch turn off:
Full Press tail switch again turn on to memory last used setting.
Power indicator: Every time press the tail switch turn on , the side indicator(blue or red light) will be light 5 seconds to display the battery power.
Constant Blue : battery power in more than 80%;
Flashing Blue : battery power in more than 50%;
Constant Red : battery power in more than 20%;
Flashing Red : battery power below 20%, the power is about to run out.

Low-voltage indicator:
When battery voltage is less than 3.3V, the low-voltage indicator flash twice every ten seconds; when the voltage drops to 3V, the low-voltage indicator flash three times every few seconds, prompts to replace the battery as soon as possible;

When the voltage below 2.8V, the flashlight may not work (flashing or shutting down).
charging instructions and notices:
Please turn on the flashlight tail switch before charging, the main lights will automatically turn off when charging.
In charging, the red indicator constant light on, when battery almost full charge, indicator change to constant blue light, please
charge more half hour to make sure battery full charge.

When the red indicator flash, please check battery installed correct or not, flashlight contacts good or not.
When the flashlight is connected to the power supply or power bank via the MICRO USB cable, the flashlight will still work (except for Turbo mode).
S3 PRO IN WORK
I have CW Hi density version, there is also NW and WW ones.
Light distribution is typical for flashlights with such heads and SMO reflectors. You`ll see nothing new here. BTW, there is a small halo around central hotspot. I decided no to make all the set of beamshots, is difference between turbo and low is so big, that most of photos would be under- or overexposed.
a7267b.jpg

Flashlight successfully passed PWM shimmering test in shower.
Even in Hi-density version, flashlight is quite throwing for it`s size due to high brightness and SMO. Of course in close range it will be not as convenient as OP or TIR ones.
Ihave to notice that after turning T1 on, brightness slightly rises. S3 has both time and thermal brightness regulation, so after initial stepdown from T1 you can turn it on one more time, but be prepare to see blinks.
ab098d.png

Runtime is good, I used 18650 Ga.
T1+T2
da9815.png

Т1+Т2+Н1+Н2
781b82.png

That`s all, lets take a look at how it works. Distance is about 15-20m.

ogorod63912.gif

ogorod2.gif

OVERALL
+ built quality
+ UI is interesting and has 2 mode groups.
+ bright and throwing in high modes.
+ flexible set of brightnesses that you can choose (h2\h1 etc)
+ built-in charging and indication in button
+ set of instant modes (low\strobe\turbo)
+ can work from outer powersoure

- after deep discharge it starts disco mode, i`d prefer to see simple turning off below 2.8.
- no remote button. Strange for hunting\tactical flashlight.

Last edited by a moderator: