McGizmo Shootout

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am not exactly shooting Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I am merely presenting a comparison of some of the fine lights he manufactures. Those lights are mostly PR or PR-T heads in various configurations as well as the McL4.
You will see white-wall shots here, if you are interested in real life outdoor shots look at the
Gargantuan Real Life Shootout , the pics are online now since I changed my host.

When appropriate, you will see shots of the coronas with overexposed hotspots and a seperate shot of the hotspots without the corona.

Of course all lights run in regulation, there are no unregulated lights with Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. All lights use the new-style PR with the softer orange peel surface unless otherwise stated.

What you see in these pics is NOT what your eyes see, at least not always. This is a more scientific beam comparison with variable camera settings to achieve the best reproduction of relative brightness and beam quality. For absolute comparisons with fixed settings outdoor go to the thread mentioned above.

1. PR-T BB611 SWAK vs. PR DB700 R2H
611swak-700r2h.jpg

611swak-700r2h_spot.jpg

While the R2H is creamier in color it is still a tad bit brighter.

2. PR DB917 TWAK vs. PR DB700 R2H
917twak-700r2h.jpg

917twak-700r2h_spot.jpg

The 917 is of a colder white and is brighter than the R2H, but not too much, it is not a staggering difference.

3. BB611 SWAK vs. DB700 R2H vs. DB917 TWAK hotspot shot
611swak-700r2h-917twak_spot.jpg

Besides the creamy color of the R2H you can see the steady increase in brightness of the contenders. Note that these differences are not dramatical.

4. McLux-TK vs. McLux DB750 R2H beadblasted McFlood
mclux-750r2hmcflood.jpg

The HD LS with the beadblasted McFlood produces the mother of all floodbeams, almost without any hotspot at all while the TK has some artifacts. Don told me that the beadblasting would be necessary when using high domes with the McFlood.

5. PR-T BB500 W4V vs. PR BB750 X3T
w4v500-x3t750.jpg

w4v500-x3t750_spot.jpg

The BB500 5W version is eaten alive by the ultimate 5W light in this class, of course. BUT it can run on 1x123 and 2x123 whereas the BB750 cannot be fully driven by 1x123. This 500mA combo is a wonderful, versatile and powerful light, see below for more.

6. TW4 vs. PR-T BB500 W4V
tw4-w4v500.jpg

tw4-w4v500_spot.jpg

The TW4 stands no chance against the BB500 light, that has also a superior throw to the TW4. Regulated runtime of this thing is 30min on 1x123, confirmed by three tests. Hosted on an E1e it is really cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

7. PR-T BB611 SWAK - McL4 (BB600 R2H in KL4)
611swak-ml4.jpg

611swak-ml4_spot.jpg

The McL4 has a broader and somewhat weaker hotspot and a more prominent corona. The R2H has a creamier color than the LuxIII.

8. TW4 vs. PR-T BB611 SWAK vs. PR-T BB500 W4V
tw4-611swak-w4v500_2.jpg

tw4-611swak-w4v500.jpg

While this comparison does not make sense at first sight, those three lights are all very attractive alternatives for a medium sized EDC. Here's how they compare: the TW4 is weakest with the worst throw, runs unregulated but should have the longest overall useable light output. The SWAK has the tightest spot and longest throw whereas the W4V has a medium flood that is much more focussed than the TW4 while being outthrown by the SWAK. It has the highest overall light output. Runtime is approx. 45-50min for the SWAK, 30min for the W4V and about 2h useable light for the TW4.

9. Old vs. New Pelican Reflector
The old version had a more aggressive orange peel, producing a smoother albeit weaker beam according to the theories and prophecies. Well, let's see:

9.1 Hotspot PR DB700 R2H oldPR vs. PR DB700 R2H newPR
700r2h_pelold-700r2h_pelnew.jpg

9.2 Hotspot PR BB750 X3T oldPR(up) vs. newPR (down)
x3t750_pel_old.jpg

x3t750_pel_new.jpg

OK, it is true. The less orange peel a reflector has, the more beam artifacts you get, but the output is higher and the hotspot less defocussed. This is especially true for the 4 dice of the 5W LS, where the difference is really noticable at close distances. For real life (see above mentioned thread) you can forget these elaborations, both the old and new PR are perfect reflectors in reality. This is a mute point anyway since the old ones are old, meaning out and forgotten. No more for us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CONCLUSIONS

- something really new: the PR heads are the throw kings in this class of lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif
- increased current up to 917mA does not result in an overwhelming brightness increase. high powered LuxIII's make only sense if you really really need throw. for close-up and medium range lower drive currents are overly sufficient and save runtime and avoid heat.
- the R2H can compete very well with the LuxIII, at least when not driven beyond 700mA like here
- a 5W LS on 1x123 is a very valid combo and quite useful with the PR, producing a nice medium flood wall of light with a very good beam quality. A regulated alternative to the TW4 with more power and throw albeit a somewhat short runtime.
- the McFlood reflector can be used with a high dome (when beadblasted) to very nice results .. a real flood.
- beam fanatics will want the old PR with a more aggressive orange peel but will not find it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, while power fanatics are satisfied with the new one.

Overall, the choice of beam pattern, throw type, power and runtime we have now with these creations is enormous. if you choose wisely, you'll find what you want. it is all there, you just have to look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Take into consideration all the fine mods and creations of our other modders there should be a suitable light for anyone around ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Don is the
theking.gif
and my hero /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif .
I say thank you for making those great lights available to us all !!!

A buge thanx to Wayne for his drivers, too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif !!

And to all the others who contributed ...

bernhard

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent work, Bernhard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

These comparisons give true definition to everyone's questions about mA drive numbers, reflectors, hotspots and throw.

Thanks again, you done, good.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Damn, I thought Don brought back some stuff from the Beretta booth. Nice job Bernhard.

cy

Flashaholic
Thanks for this fine review. All the more relevant because I just purchased a X3T PR McLux. I can hardly wait until it makes it here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx for the thumbsup, guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And cy, you will LOVE this thing! It is my favourite little killer. Brightest in this class. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review and information. That must have taken quit a bit of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Thank you I am sure this will help alot of members new and old.

mut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
So which setup looks most like an E2E beam?

(yeah, I'll step up to the LED world for throw one of these days)

Mark

Darell

Flashaholic
Just stick a high-quality emitter in a Pelican Reflector and drive it at 500-700, and you're good to go. The hot spot is tighter in comparison to an E2, but this is about the closest LED setup I've seen to an E2 incandescent beam. Probably the best comparison is an E1 beam... but the LED/PR version is quite a bit brighter and more usable that that.

Lumiere

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Just stick a high-quality emitter in a Pelican Reflector and drive it at 500-700, and you're good to go. The hot spot is tighter in comparison to an E2, but this is about the closest LED setup I've seen to an E2 incandescent beam. Probably the best comparison is an E1 beam... but the LED/PR version is quite a bit brighter and more usable that that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no experience in these MOD's, any suggestions for emitter? I have just received a PM6 LED and would like a modded PM6 incan to an LED to improve on ithe PM6 LED performance; brighter, wider, whiter. Any and all ideas welcome.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Lumiere, read the first post in this thread, there you'll find all possible types of emitters. But if you are completely unexperienced and / or have only left thumbs on your hands like me you might want to read around on CPF first or let someone do the Mod for you.
bernhard

Lumiere

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling, I only have the three thumbs, but this is a new area for me. I am just trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. I don't know which combo of components will give me abetter result that the stock PM6 LED.
Lumiere

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Lumiere, if you want to do it yourself, go to the Sandwich Shoppe forum and read about the different driver boards. You can buy those there, too. The typical combos are listed in the first post of this thread.

FYI, those below are shots of the SF E2e vs. PR DB917 TWAK (above) and BB750 X3T (below)

mg_917_vs_e2e.jpg

mg_917_vs_e2e_spot.jpg

mg_750x3t_vs_e2e.jpg

mg_750x3t_vs_e2e_spot.jpg

note that the corona of the E2e is significantly larger than the one of the PR reflectored units. The hotspot of the DB917 is significantly brighter than the E2e, the X3T BB750 is birghter and larger, too.

bernhard

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a million, Bernhard ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

This is wonderfully illustrative.

Britt

Psychomodo

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Thanks for this fine review. All the more relevant because I just purchased a X3T PR McLux. I can hardly wait until it makes it here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I get one of these? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Psycho, watch out in B/S/T, they show up from time to time. Those were initially made by McGizmo mostly in raw aluminium PR heads a few months ago. Nowadays the X-bins are rare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
OR you can try to find an X3T (there is one for trade right now IIRC) and ask one of our modders to do the build for ya ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Latest posts