How to remove egg residue from hood of car?

Velcro

Enlightened
I need some advice. Someone threw an egg on my friend's car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif I think the substance has been on the car for more then 24 hours, possibly 36. What is the best and easiest way to remove it? There's also some on the glass btw.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'd try soaking a towel in water with a small amount of dish detergent in it, then letting the towel sit flat on the affected area for a couple of hours to saturate the egg; add a bit of water once in a while to keep the towel water-soaked. You should be able to wash away the egg gently after the two hours. Dish detergent is pretty mild. I use it all the time in my windshield washer fluid as a wetting agent. I've never had it affect the paint on several cars I've had. Whether the egg will spoil the paint is a different story. YMMV.

If you wash and wax your car on a regular basis, there should be a sufficient layer of wax to prevent the egg from staining the paint.

unnerv

Enlightened
just a note on dishwashing liquid, any spot that you use it on will have all the wax stripped, so make sure to rewax that spot or it will be unprotected.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
I've read about people using steel wool to remove stuff on windshields. Maybe this might help. The article I saw they were demonstating it on a C5 vette so it should be safe for most vehicles.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Steel wool's okay on glass, but obviously, not for car paint. If dish detergent or vinegar worries you, just try the soaked towel trick with warm, plain water, making sure you keep it saturated with water. Might take a bit longer without the dish detergent though.

Avoid scraping off the egg with your fingernail or other objects.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish you luck, my car got "egged" last year a few times, took about four months for it to disappear under the weatehr, and the only bits that I actually tried to remove ended up taking half the paint with them.

However, the fact that my license plates kept disappearing every week, along with the radio antenna, was of rather more concern at the time!

And I live 17 miles from the nearest major settlement...isn't this the kind of nonsense that's meant to be restricted to citys?

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened
If I knew who that "someone" was I'd soften them up a little bit. They might be able to lick it off if they put their heart into it....probably just need a little inspiration.YMMV