• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *CLOSED*: Modified MagAA Reflectors for HDs

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
This pre-order is now *CLOSED*. I am not taking any more orders at this time. If I have extras after the existing orders are finished I will then sell those here. If there is more interest in these after the pre-orders are finished I will then do another batch. Please post here or PM me to get on the waiting list. Thank you

This is a feeler/pre-order to see if there's any interest in Mini-Mag AA reflectors modded to use with MagAA sandwich mods. I know there are alot of you that have MagAAs with sandwiches and this is a chance to no longer be limited to optics only. This mod is nothing new around here, just doing this to give anyone a chance to have one without having to mod it themselves if they are not capable of.

If I get a handfull of requests for these then I will make more of these. I am making a small batch soon regardless (within two weeks). I'm not looking to bite more than I can chew but I will try to make enough hopefully.
I will sell them in pairs, one regular/smooth modded & one sputtered/orange peel modded for $5. Or you may order a pair of both OP or a pair of both regular/smooth.
Smooth will throw farther and has a brighter "hotspot". OP diffuses the beam, cleaning out artifacts but at the expense of a bit of throw and an intense hotspot.
Please limit two pairs per person, this gives a chance for others to be able to get them. If I get even more requests and I find the time to make more (which I probably will) then you can step in and buy however many pairs you want. Shipping will be free to CONUS/Canada for up to two pairs. International will cost extra.

There are some issues:
1) In most cases, these will only work with HDs. I say most cases because I do not have any LD sandwiches to try them on and they might work differently with colored luxeons. These also work with 5watters but I don't think there are very many MagAA 5W mods out there if at all anyways.
2) With these reflectors, twist ON/OFF will no longer be functional. You must use a tailcap switch such as a Kroll which most probably are anyways. There are ways to furthur modify the reflector so that twist ON/OFF will still function but I will not do so.
3) Some MagAAs aren't threaded as far down as others. You probably won't notice when looking at the threads but I have ran into heads that don't screw down as far as others. It's very little in difference but It will affect the focus. If this is the case with yours than you must file down a bit under the lens bezel on top of the threads. Very little is needed to be taken away. I haven't measured the exact amounts I have removed because it varies. Most MagAAs need material to be removed. Generally, with these reflectors you want the bottom of the reflector to sit at the same level as the top of the black plastic on the emitter. This point will generally achieve the tightest focus. There is a pic below that shows where the material was removed (note where the anodizing is missing).

Other than these three little issues these perform very well. They fit exactly how they came from the factory before your mod. Be sure to center the luxeon within the reflector to minimize artifacts on the non-OP reflectors. These are the same ones talked about here and a little bit here.

If you have interest in these please post here and if you want one or two pairs.
I am currently not taking any payments now so please no Paypals yet, which will be refunded if done so.
EDIT: I am now accepting payments
When posted, please send non-credit card payments to afromunk(at)yahoo(dot)com. Credit card payments may be sent to f_zero4(at)yahoo(dot)com. Please add 2.9% + $.30 to the total (total + additional shipping for those who are international = grand total) to cover the fees. You may also pay by check/money order if needed. That info will be given later upon request. Please PM me or e-mail me to the address listed in my profile for ant questions to might have regarding anything.

Again, so there is no confusion, these will be done about two weeks (estimated). I have at least 40pcs. on order but haven't got a confirmation of when they will ship which is why I have set a two weeks timeframe. I'm hoping to get them sooner. I will post updates here as I get them. These will be available to order until the subject title has noted *Closed*. Until then, please order away.

magaa_cut-reflectors.jpg

mag-aa_shavehead_oring.jpg

(The following beamshots were taken with soon to be Daddyo's new MM+/WO QX1H mod seen here)
MagAA reflector MM+/WO QX1H - 15ft.
aa-reflector_mmwo-qx1h.jpg

MagAA sputtered reflector MM+/WO QX1H - 15ft.
aa-reflector-sputtered_mmwo-qx1h.jpg

Top: MagAA reflector MM+/WO QX1H, Bottom: McLuxPR BB611 R2H - 25ft.
magaa-mmwo-qx1h_mcluxpr-bb611-r2h.jpg

Top: MagAA sputtered reflector MM+/WO QX1H, Bottom: McLuxPR BB611 R2H - 25ft.
magaa-mmwo-qx1h-sputtered_mcluxpr-b.jpg

Thank you

Last edited:

pahl

Enlightened
Re: Feeler: Modified MagAA Reflectors for HDs

Could I get a couple with just the sputtered/orange peel done to it and everything else left alone so I could use them with the standard mag bulb?

How is the sputtered/orange peel put on?

Thanks,

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Hmm, that's something I didn't expect.

Sure no problem, I put you down for that.

It's put on using a spray can.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I am definately interested. One pair for now, as I have one R2H+ WO sandwich. I might go for a 3watt sandwich.

Bill

pahl

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
darkzero said:
Hmm, that's something I didn't expect.

Sure no problem, I put you down for that.

It's put on using a spray can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two pairs sputtered modded reflectors please.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Bill, Rick got it.

icarus, so you would like both pairs (4pcs) all sputtered rather than 2pcs regular, 2pcs sputtered? Just making sure.

Thanks guys

Zephyr

Enlightened

Can I get one pair please? That is, one sputtered and one regular. Thanks so much!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
Zephyr said:
Can I get one pair please? That is, one sputtered and one regular. Thanks so much!

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Daddyo, ok, got you down for 2 more pairs.

Just a reminder, your QX1H Mag mod does include 1 pair as well.

If you didn't notice the caption, those beamshots were taken with your light, which I've got packaged and will leave in the morning.

Thx

PeterB

Enlightened

Looks great!! Can I get two pairs? I would prefer them completely (4 pieces) with orange peel.

Thanks,

Peter

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Peter I got you down. I will have to charge extra for international shipping though. I will let you know the extra costs when the time comes. It shouldn't be very much.

thx

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I have 40+pcs. on order. I have no idea if they had them in stock or will have to order them which is why I set the 2 week timeframe just to be safe. I will post updates here as I hear them.

Thanks

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do they fit in a McLux bezel? Im in for a couple if they do.
I know the stock ones are too wide and need to be filed down.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Do they fit in a McLux bezel? Im in for a couple if they do.
I know the stock ones are too wide and need to be filed down.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they won't. Since these are cut down short, the diameter would have to be turned down small enough to drop down into the bezel which will look kind of funny and the walls of the head will affect the beam.

Or you would have to build a McLux from scratch to acomodate the reflector but the head will only be able to use this reflector from them on. An additional heatsink would have to be made to raise the luxeon up higher so that it will come into the reflector's focal plane. I plan on doing one someday.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
Is it too late to order a pair?

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon it is not to late. Please note that this will not ship right now. Please read the initial post where I have just added the comment in bold.

Guys, please bare with me as this is the first time I am doing something like this. I am trying my hardest to not screw anything up and so far I think everything is sound. If you haven't noticed, I'm constantly editing the post to reflect what I feel should be done so or made attention to. Don't worry, the price will not change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
I'm open to any suggestions you might have and will appreciate the big help.

Thx