FourSevens        

Thread: First multitool help

Enlightened

Default First multitool help

Hello,
    I'm usually in the light section but I have a more knife related question so I came by
    I decided to pull the trigger and go for a multitool so I don't have to get the toolbox for every small thing.
    I'm more of a minimalist type of guy an have decided I only need the following tools:
    Pillars with wire cutters, plain edge blade, philips and flat screwdriver.
    Now the only tool I found (should mention that the only makers I know of are Leatherman, Gerber and Victorinox) that is near that is the Leatherman Skeletool CX, it has that (for me) pointless carabin/bottle opener thing, but I think I can live with that
    What makes me think is the price, the cheapest I found it is 100€ (~110$) which seems a lot compared with the Rev which is around 40€ (~45$), or the Wave which is around the same as the Skeletool but with a lot more tools.
    Now the Rev has some useless tools on it by my point of view, but for such a price difference I can settle with it too, unless the Skeletool is so much better and is worth the extra money.
    Someone here have both and can say something on the matter? I'm also open to other suggestions of other (to me unknown) makers as long as there is quality.
    Thank you.

Default Re: First multitool help

Moving this to "Multitools" ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Enlightened

Sorry didn't know that subforum exists....

I have a wave a skeletool and a wingman, which I think is sort of similar to the Rev with a few more tools. If you can afford it and plan on using it a lot I would get the skeletool or wave, but if you are not going to use it that much the rev is probably OK. I find that the screw drivers on the wingman are a little hard to get out and are not that great (they don't lock). The screew drivers on the wave and skeletool are better and you can change out the bits. The skeleool is nice and light and easy to carry clipped to a pocket, though the plier heads/wire cutters are not heavy duty. The wave is real versatile though it is too big IMHO for pocket carry (does not come with a clip, but you can buy one for it as an accessory). The wave is a great size for carry in a belt pouch (I like the old brown leather wave sheath for the old style wave better than the the ones that come with the new waves). If you don't need or want removable screw driver bits, pocket clips or one hand opening blades - the Swisstool spirit is a real nice multitool as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trango View Post
    Sorry didn't know that subforum exists....
    No worries .... Having used a variety of multitools from different brands, I have generally been most impressed by those made by victorinox
    ... is the archimedes peak

Hello,
    I'm usually in the light section but I have a more knife related question so I came by
    I decided to pull the trigger and go for a multitool so I don't have to get the toolbox for every small thing.
    I'm more of a minimalist type of guy an have decided I only need the following tools:
    Pillars with wire cutters, plain edge blade, philips and flat screwdriver.
    Now the only tool I found (should mention that the only makers I know of are Leatherman, Gerber and Victorinox) that is near that is the Leatherman Skeletool CX, it has that (for me) pointless carabin/bottle opener thing, but I think I can live with that
    What makes me think is the price, the cheapest I found it is 100€ (~110$) which seems a lot compared with the Rev which is around 40€ (~45$), or the Wave which is around the same as the Skeletool but with a lot more tools.
    Now the Rev has some useless tools on it by my point of view, but for such a price difference I can settle with it too, unless the Skeletool is so much better and is worth the extra money.
    Someone here have both and can say something on the matter? I'm also open to other suggestions of other (to me unknown) makers as long as there is quality.
    Thank you.
    I have the wingman and wave and I really like the wave. Check eBay. Got mine for $57 shipped new.

I rock two Leatherman skeletools. I like the size and it has the blade you can use with out opening the whole tool. I added the Bit Kit and that really gives me lots of options.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

I find the Vic Spirit about ideal for me and this is after carrying assorted Leatherman and Gerber tools for a lotta time too.
    You can easily use the Leatherman Bit Adapter & bits with the Vic too which is how I carry mine all the time.

The more rugged the tool though the bigger and heavier it will obviously be too so at the other end of the spectrum is a Vic Mechanic for instance which also carries what you think you will need but in a package that will easily slide into any pocket that I know of!
    I am also a big fa of the Vic Cybertool line with the Mechanic features but also some nice added ones in a slightly larger traditional SAK package.

There are also the smaller Leatherman which are not terrible if big enough to get your jobs done?
    Only yo can answer that one though.

I came back to also suggest something like a SAK classic with the scissors and tooth pick. FWIW: I rotate between 3. The small Classic and one that has fingernail clippers and one that has the led light and pen. Those in conjunction with the Leatherman, I am pretty well covered for most EDC fixes or tinkering.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Enlightened

Thank you for all the replies, but this has gone a bit out of hand, I was just asking if the Skeletool CX is worth more than twice the price of the Rev.
    As for the SwissTools, they just have to many things on them that I will never use, which makes them heavy.

Thank you for all the replies, but this has gone a bit out of hand, I was just asking if the Skeletool CX is worth more than twice the price of the Rev.
    As for the SwissTools, they just have to many things on them that I will never use, which makes them heavy.

Not really,we are also talking about Swiss Army Knives that have Pliers too and thus are much less bulky than what we generally think of as a Multi Tool.
    I have a Skeletool and am not that fond of it and I have never seen a Rev. so......

Enlightened

OK,to update, after some checking I still like the Skeletool best I think the size is just perfect (OK except for the carabin), so I decided to first buy the Skeletool KB knife which is a fraction of the price of the Skeletool CX and an extra knife never hurts and then if I'm happy with it I'll go with the Skeletool multitool