Klarus        

Thread: First Zebralight failure out of 6 lights over 5 years. - repaired under warranty.

Default First Zebralight failure out of 6 lights over 5 years. - repaired under warranty.

My H600Fw MK II was bought as a spare because my H600w MK II has been performing flawlessly for several years now, sure enough I waited too long to get a spare and had to go with the frosted lens version, which is excellent btw.
    One day the light was hot in my pocket and wouldn't come back on, got a flash once or twice with a fresh battery but nothing else.
    Sent it back with my H style ZL pocket clip still attached with heat shrink tube.
    Just received it in the mail yesterday, good as new and still sporting its pocket clip, so it was definitely repaired, not replaced.

The only thing that I wanted and did not get was an explanation of what failed and why.
    Any ideas?

Great lights and great service.
    My wish at this point would be for Zebralight to make two lines (yes, of every light, lol);
    a flashaholic line that pushed the envelope of what's possible,
    and a slightly more expensive, slightly lower performance line with premium, underdriven components for extreme reliability.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Flashaholic

Default Re: First Zebralight failure out of 6 lights over 5 years. - repaired under warranty

I had similar experience. My first zebra was sc600. One time it turned on in the pocket and was very hot when found. Since then it developed a switch problem. I sent it to zebra and it came back perfect $15 and 4 weeks later.

Very happy with this service. The light was out of warranty.

Default Re: First Zebralight failure out of 6 lights over 5 years. - repaired under warranty

I wonder if there's a limit to the over heating protection circuit,
    so the light coming on high while being insulated by clothing can't drop the output enough to prevent overheating?

My intuition is that under extreme operating conditions, a good solder join will stay cool while a bad solder join will heat up and fail... and that components being made produced by machine are less likely the weak link, while in assembly a poor solder join may become a bottleneck, weakest link.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    My wish at this point would be for Zebralight to make two lines (yes, of every light, lol);
    and a slightly more expensive, slightly lower performance line with premium, underdriven components for extreme reliability.
    Some flashaholics may not find the word "underdriven" very palatable, but aside from that, I would say that both of the lines you describe are flashaholic lines.

I recently bought a SC5c II, and even though no such thing as a SC5c II P (P = Premium) exists, I already want one!

On topic: I am glad to hear you and cp2315 are happy with the service you received. I wonder if they keep spare parts for their earlier models in stock, or if the offending article was replaced by a more modern, backwards compatible one.
    Last edited by Swede74; 07-04-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    Some flashaholics may not find the word "underdriven" very palatable, but aside from that, I would say that both of the lines you describe are flashaholic lines.

I recently bought a SC5c II, and even though no such thing as a SC5c II P (P = Premium) exists, I already want one!

On topic: I am glad to hear you and cp2315 are happy with the service you received. I wonder if they keep spare parts for their earlier models in stock, or if the offending article was replaced by a more modern, backwards compatible one.
    The P is available with double click

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by cp2315 View Post
    I had similar experience. My first zebra was sc600. One time it turned on in the pocket and was very hot when found. Since then it developed a switch problem. I sent it to zebra and it came back perfect $15 and 4 weeks later.

Very happy with this service. The light was out of warranty.
    Did you send your light to Zebralight in Texas?

They're actually going the other way, it seems. They're adding a more "budget" oriented line with less features and lower prices, so what we've got now is Zebralight's "flashaholic" line. And I think that's perfectly appropriate. Their lights are great just as they are. I've personally found them extremely reliable and robust, much more so than many other common "premium" flashlight brands, but if you need even more reliability out of your light then there's brands like HDS out there.

Agreed! I wish the major manufacturers would take that route. I have a few intentionally underdriven lights and I consider them minor miracles, since their very existence defies sales logic. A lower performing Zebra light might suit only a niche market, but I'd certainly buy!
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post
    Did you send your light to Zebralight in Texas?
    Yes that is where I sent it. If you contact zebralight through their website, the cs will give you clear instructions.

I need to return one I just bought. A high cri SC5c. Green tint.
    Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

I sent mine back. They were accommodating and swapped it. Better.