Arc4 low bright quick access and spring tension

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFire

Enlightened
So, having just recieved my new Arc4, mastered the menu systems and figured out how to run things in general, I have a question for everyone.

I frequently use my light in a manner that requires turning it on in a low brightness mode. Flipping through the brighter levels isn't really OK, since they are bright enough to negate the need for low brightness. At first, I was hoping there was a way to triple click to the lowest setting from off, but this doesn't seem to be the case. So, my question is, how do you guys get to low without going through the higher setting? Set primary to low and force primary? Then I give up a whole brightness option. Just make sure to set it to dim before turning it off? What if I don't anticipate wanting it in the dark? Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out what the best solution is here. How do you have your light configured?

On a different subject: My thumb is hurting now, so has anyone investigated different switch spring options? I'd be interested in a switch which was easier to activate, since I seem to be favoring the pocket clip as the method of carry (negating the difficulty of having it turn on in the pocket). Does anyone have any sugguestions about springs? Anywhere to start looking?

-Paul

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc4 low bright quick access and spring tensio

Make primary between level 10-16 and secondary level 4 or brighter. Force primary for the light to come on at your dim level and double click for bright. Hold button at any on level for boost, assuming you don't make secondary level 1.

Ask Arc first if they have a lighter spring or any suggestion how to make the button travel or spring tension less.

paulr

Flashaholic

Put your hand over the front when you turn it on. Triple click while it's still covered. It will then be in dim mode.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is how mine is set up.
Primary at level 10
Secondary at level 4
Semi-tactical on
Before I turn it off I go back to primary then triple click so it's in level 16.
Now when I turn it on(double click) it's in level 16
double click it's at level 10
double click again and it's at level 4
press and hold at any level and it's at full brightnes.
So actually I have 4 different levels.
I think this is pretty good set-up.IMHO
Hope it helps
mut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Triple click it into Level 16 before you turn it off. The next time you turn it on, it will be att Level 16.

TheFire

Enlightened

Yeah, I'm thinking Fastlane and mutt's sugguestions are probably the best options so far...

I'll email Arc and see what I can find out aboout the spring...

Edit: After taking apart the switch mechanism and examining it closely, I have realized that what I really want is a spring with MORE tension, so that it assists with the button push. I tried several things, none of which were completely satisfactory:

Replacing with the mini-mag spring: Doesn't work very well at all, clumsy, tends to spring appart, actually makes switch HARDER to actuate.

Replacing stock spring with main Kroll spring: Works OK, but doesn't seem to improve action very much at all. Very clumsy to load, since it requires the spring to be held down (to keep it from springing out of the retainer) while the end is screwed on.

No spring at all: Seems to be nearly equivalent to the stock motion, but introduces a slight rattle.

Adding an o-ring spacer between metal pointy thing and the spring retaining ring: effectivley prevents activation of light.

Adding an o-ring spacer behind the metal pointy thing in order to effectivley increase it's length: seems to work fairly well, deffinatley reduces actuation pressure, but introduces an annoying "hole" in the middle of the switch. Most promising option so far...

I'll keep you updated as I experiment further.

Status
Not open for further replies.