Experts only: I need to replace a Draco. is there anything better?

Golden Ears

Newly Enlightened
For me The size of the flashlight was perfect, I really like the beam pattern and even Corona. I like the size and cost of the rechargeable batteries. I like the durability of the Sapphire lens and the exotic coatings to the outside which prevented scratching as well as the trit in the base.

Err..my only omplaint was you could lose a head from unscrewing it too much. That is how one bit the dust.

I also owned a Drake but preferred the run time and easier to hold size of the Draco. The Drake got a bit too hot if held in the mouth because the lamp was too close.

i don't want a less bright light, a larger light, one made of inferior materials, one without a trit, worse beam pattern, non rechargeable batteries , fewer selectable light levels, non sapphire lens, or cooler beam color...any of those things would be a step backwards and frustrate me.

thank you in advance if you bothered to read this far.

Experts out there.....does anyone make something better with as nice or smoother beam pattern?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Tain would probably make the closest alternatives, in terms of recent options ....

MBI would have been another choice a few years ago, but I don't think much is currently in production, at present.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
May want to hit up one of the custom guys over in the Flashlight Fanatics group on facebook. Those guys are always making some really cool lights using premium components like you listed. Sorry but that is about as much help as I can offer ya.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Draco was at certain time a real jewel. However, it was driven by a Flupic and had one of the worst PWM rate I've ever seen. The P4 (or a Lux3 if it was an early version...) was bright then but it is now quite weak compared to modern LEDs.

Have a look at a Blackwater Kite in Titanium. Small as a Draco, titanium, convenient USB charger (uses 10180), slot for a tritium, square threads. Yes, it's only 2 modes but they are quite well spaced. The beam is beautiful thanks to the optic. The best part is the price compared to a custom light...

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tain would probably make the closest alternatives, in terms of recent options ....

MBI would have been another choice a few years ago, but I don't think much is currently in production, at present.
I will second the Tain Ottavino 10280. It's 2 modes but very serviceable. The current version is Mule like as it has a convex lens, but a previous version had a reflector. You will have to out up WTB or keep an eye out on the secondary market.

Another option is the TnC Nano-Lux. It has 3 modes with mode memory and comes in diferent finishes. The beam profile is not like the Draco but closer to the Ottavino as it is a Mule. The crenelations kn the head do give it a different beam profile though. It is available in cool white or nichia 219b.