Focusable 2AA M@G mod?

nisshin

Enlightened
In most of the mods of the 2AA Mini M@glite, the focusing mechanism of the light is lost. I suppose part of it is to accomodate heat sinks and the size of the sandwich, etc. But I am wondering if anyone has done a mod that retains the focusing capability of the M@g.

nisshin

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
A couple of points:
1 - The molded optics (NX05 & FraenLP) used don't lend themselves to focusing. That can only be done with a parabolic reflector (PR).
2 - As correctly pointed out by others, 'focusing' is misnomer. A PR has a fixed focal length, and therefore only one point at which it is in focus. Any other position serves only to defocus the PR.

(Stock lens was omitted for the photo):
Focus1.jpg

Here is my recipe for retaining the stock MiniMag PR for use with a Badboy. Madmax module. (A high dome emitter was employed. I don't know how well a low dome device will perform with this mod).

1 - Start by enlarging the PR's hole with a 13/64" bit. Using a work glove, it's pretty easy to do this by hand.

2 - File down at the back of the PR. Don't file any more material than is necessary, so check your work often. My PR ended up at a height of approx. 9 1/2mm.
Focus2.jpg

3 - Remove about 1mm of material from the head:
Focus3.jpg

One additional O-ring is needed to keep the PR tight in the head assembly. If you are wondering why I filed down the head, it is to allow the PR to displace the module and act as a switch. I wanted my MiniMag to retain it's stock operation. If you prefer, you can skip step 3 and use a kroll switch.

This mod has worked out quite well. It is dependent, however, on having the emitter centered on the module.

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
I used one of dat2zip's Sandwich Shoppe drop in conversions for a M*g AA and found that although the focus mechanism still works, it's useless. The broad focus gives concentric and very irritating rings of light. No other adjustment is useful except the one spot where the Luxeon comes into focus. So Evil is right--just get that one optimum focal point and you will probably have as good a light as you can mod with the M*g. There are other recent threads on this.

nisshin

Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures! You're right, focusing is the wrong word. Narrow beam and flood perhaps would be better (beam width adjusting?). I wonder if anyone has thought of making a parabolic reflector in two halves, with different focal points for each half. The beam would look really strange /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but at least for half of the beam you can get a nice spot or flood through adjusting the flashlight head.

nisshin