2017 alternative to Fenix E20?

Cman219

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've been a long time member of this forum, way back to early 2000's (I still have my original first generation Arc AAA). But I haven't been keeping up with the flashlight community for a very long time. I'm looking for a flashlight that's similar to the old Fenix E20 2xAA. It's been discontinued for a while but I haven't been able to find something similar that's not over $40. I liked it because it was bright, good run time, and simple in operation. There's only two modes, low and high. Both of which can be accessed by rotating the head. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kavajava

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix store has the 2015 version of the E20 for under $40. Max lumens 265. It does have four output modes though.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you prefer a light with those exact features? I recently got an E20 on sale at REI, I'm not sure which generation it is but I think it's from the last year or so. Four mode, reverse clicky, smooth reflector 2xAA light. Modes are accessed by flashing through with the switch. Pretty nice light overall

gh5p212l.jpg

Cman219

Newly Enlightened
How is the Turbo mode activated on that? Is it selected by the bezel? Or do you have to cycle through everything to get to it?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to cycle through to get to turbo but the light uses mode memory so that's at least convenient in this case. The switch is surprisingly precise too, and you can bump through the modes pretty quickly. I'm not the biggest fan of this UI but overall it's a reasonably useable light.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite Archer 2A is just $30. It has a two button interface - rear clicky switch to turn it on and off, and an electronic button on the side to cycle through the 4 modes or to access the hidden strobe mode. It has mode memory.

David S. Grimes

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2015 edition, which costed 37 USD. But why did you want to replace it with other flashlight? I think it is a fine flashlight.

Cman219

Newly Enlightened
I don't want to replace it, I just want to get one for my gf's new car as well. I doubt she'd want to mess around with settings and several buttons for a flashlight. I'm actually pretty surprised there are not more high quality "simple" flashlights. The original E20 was perfect.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually pretty surprised there are not more high quality "simple" flashlights. The original E20 was perfect.

I had a similar issue looking around at AA lights. Maybe look at FourSevens? Or for a little out of left field the Streamlight ProTac 2xAA? It can be set up to be a basic low/high cycle through.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
I think you can have look at Fenix E20 2015, but it has 4 output levels, the operation is also easy. One more choice you can try Fenix FD20, which is a 2AA rotary focusing flashlight, easily operated, compact. Hope it will be help.:whistle:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican also came to mind as a 2AA with a simple interface, as did the Inova X2 or Radiant.

MaridD

Newly Enlightened
I think you can have look at Fenix E20 2015, but it has 4 output levels, the operation is also easy. One more choice you can try Fenix FD20, which is a 2AA rotary focusing flashlight, easily operated, compact. Hope it will be help.:whistle:

Your recommendation is good. I have Fenix E20 2015, it works well.