Recommendations for Light Meters?

snook

Newly Enlightened
I hope that this ground hasn't been covered too much before. I tried to search the board for info on this, but couldn't produce satisfactory results. My question is this:

What is a good lightmeter to get for taking illumination readings from various lights, torches and lanterns?

I'm hoping to spend less than $150.00 or so. (I would spend more if it was worth it, though)

I see many great charts here by forum members, and I'd like to start making some of my own.

BTW, do I want a meter that measures in lux, footcandles, both, other units of measure too? What else should I look for in a meter? Can the unit work for photography also?

If this has been covered somewhere, could someone please post some links for me?

Thanks.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If you wish to do charts, a meter with a RS-232 computer port and plotting software makes life so much easier. The heart of my system is a Radio Shack multimeter that has a RS-232 serial computer port on it. My light meter is an Extech 401021 Light meter adapter that outputs a signal to the multimeter. The Extech comes in Footcandle or LUX versions. Just remember, unless you want to sit in front of a meter with a pad of paper recording numbers, a rig with a RS-232 Serial port will be needed for automatic logging.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an LM631. Theres a mV output jack on the bottom, but i have no idea how to hook it up to my comp...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
kakster......the mV output is an analog signal and will work with a strip-chart recorder.

BigWonton

Newly Enlightened
For all of you that have a light meter that has a voltage output, you can do data-logging on your PC using a DATAQ DI-194RS kit. Comes with everything you need including the software to do the acquisition/logging - all for $25. Though you might have to do a little signal conditioning depending on the output of your light meter. I used an earlier version of this to do some data logging and found the interface to be really nice and easy to use.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks wonton! Thats just what im looking for.

Whoops, its an RS232 interface...the LM631 doesnt have one of those ports.

paulr

Flashaholic
Kakster, the idea is the Dataq box converters the LM631's voltage output to RS232 so you can connect the RS232 to your computer. The Dataq at $25 is an amazing deal, thanks Wonton for posting about it.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh thats good news indeed. Ill have to take a closer look at this converter. Thanks for the tip paul.

Latest posts