Olight S1A ?

fmc1

Enlightened
Are there two versions of the Olight S1A?

I have 4 of them and I bought them all from the same vendor but at different times. Three are exactly the same and one the battery compartment is clearly longer. The strange thing is that the long one is the second one I bought 3-4 months ago. The first short one is about a year old. The other two I bought during the 10th​ anniversary sale at the end of June.

All of them are exactly 80mm in to total length. The tail caps are different though 11mm on the one with the long battery compartment and 13mm on the short ones. The 11mm cap has two rows of knurling and the 13mm as three rows. Body lengths with the caps off are 75mm vs 73mm.

The only advantage to the long one is a protected 14500 fits in a lot easier. The shorter ones seem to snug down a regular eneloop AA a little better. I guess over all I prefer the shorter ones because I mostly use eneloops and once in a while unprotected 14500's.

The rows of knurling on the tail cap, two vs three rows is the giveaway.

Any other S1A owners notice this?

Thanks

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
Yup I had a normal S1A to review and a copper the copper was longer. The move was to accommodate protected 14500 cells they were a bit tight on the shorter one. I assume all the S1A's in production now have the extra length.
Not a big deal if you use AA's but I find the move a sensible one just easier to get the cap on with 14500's

Dan FO

Enlightened
Mine has three rows and since I use a protected 14500 I am glad that is the one Olight sent me for testing and evaluation. :)

Dan FO

Enlightened
Mine has three rows and since I use a protected 14500 I am glad that is the one Olight sent me for testing and evaluation. :)

I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was to take the magnet out of the tailcap so that gives the battery more room. I don't like magnets near my mechanical watches. ;)

MaridD

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was to take the magnet out of the tailcap so that gives the battery more room. I don't like magnets near my mechanical watches. ;)

Me too. I find when my watch near the magnetic tail, it cannot work properly, so, I remove the magnet. But it is a little inconvenient to add it into the tail when I need to use it as a work lamp.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
very interesting OP. I have 3 S1A's and I never noticed the length difference. I have the 3 rows of knurling on the tail cap standard CW S1A, the two rows of knurling on the tail cap NW S1A and my rose gold copper S1A has only two rows of knurling on the tail cap. Now that I think of it I do remember having to really use some force to get the tail cap on oddly enough my first S1A which is the three rows of knurling on the tail cap CW standard S1A. Even though my rose gold copper version also only has two rows of knurling on the tail cap any 14500 I try fits fine I do not know what adjustment Olight did or if it was the length of the 14500's I had at the time I got my first S1A....

Latest posts