Dorcy 1 AAA LED?

jdb2

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed a one-cell AAA LED light by Dorcy at Wal-mart this weekend. It sells for about $6.00. If I had never found CPF, and hadn't just received an ARC AAA, I would have thought this cheap Dorcy light was great.

It doesn't have a smooth beam, isn't tiny, and isn't waterproof, but it's handy. Does anyone have long-term experience with it?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some do have a smooth beam. I have one in my pocket at all times. The Arcs are better quality...no doubt...but for 6 bucks you can`t go wrong. I gave many away at Christmass.

Ken

jbroker83

Enlightened
Yes, unfortunately, the Wal-marts in my city are all out of these, as I have grabbed the only six that I could get my hands on. They are very handy in complete darkness, and as mentioned before, some do have okay beams as well. In Omaha, they sell for 5.88 per light, so it's really an economical way (both the light and battery) to get into an LED.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, it certainly isnt on the same level as an infinity ultra or arc aaa.

however: it is an excellent litle light for $6.
i personally think it is the best bang-for-the-buck LED out there. i have given away many as gifts.

want to smooth out the beam? remove the head, press out the lens/reflector, and sand the chrome off. the beam will then be smooth and nearly identical as all the other led lights.

Bob

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't notice the beam all that much. I like the fact that it is small enough to carry in my pocket with my clipper, comb, and Swiss Army knife.

It is brighter than the Arc or other 1 cell lights, seems to be rugged enough, and is much cheaper.

All in all a great bargain.

Jerry

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
This was my first flashlight (aside from a Solitaire). Excellent value, great beam. I don't need my flashlights to be able to survive a nukular blast.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have several of them. They don't compare with an Arc, but you can't go wrong for $6 each. I also gave a few away at Christmas and people loved them. Overall a great little light for the price.

-Mike

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
At under $6 it's a steal. I give them to people who show an interest in my Arc AAA or other more expensive LED flashlights. Had been using one as my nightstand light until today, when I gave it away to a customer of mine.

If they have 'em in stock, buy 3 or 4. Spread 'em around the house, give them to the wife and kids, give them to friends. You'll be back to Wally World in no time looking for more.

dda

Newly Enlightened
If you tighten the tail cap down, it is waterproof. At least those I have are.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have one of each color. One has a noticeably better and brighter beam. I own ARC AAA and Infinity Ultra AA. I carry them because I KNOW I can't kill them with sweat.

But that one particular Dorcy is brighter than both!

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gotten 3 of them. I buy them whenever they hit the shelf. All of them seem to have about the same beam. Not bad for walking to the car, or low light situations.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dorcy 1 AAA is truly the LED for the masses. It's at a price point that won't phase non-flashaholics. It's also a good bit brighter than the Arc.

Hogosha

Newly Enlightened
I have one in the key pocket of my Levi's at all times. And I am beating the crap out of it! It is starting to lose some of the anodizing around the head, but I am still on the original battery. Wally World has not had them by me in a while, if they have them by you buy a bunch!! They are great!

Defectfully
Patrick

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
Do they stand on end?

[/ QUOTE ]
Only on the wrong end.

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks.

In a thread in the General section Target is supposed to carry the full line in March. The 3led AA would be good for the house.

LightScene

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The 3led AA would be good for the house.

[/ QUOTE ]
Walmart sells a 3 led Nightblaster which runs on 3 AAA's for $7.50. It has a built in swivel clip, which also makes it very easy to hold in your teeth. I think that's a more useful light than the Dorcy 3 led AA, which is probably also quite a bit more expensive.

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
Finally! After a few months of looking in 4 different stores in 3 counties, my local Wal-Mart has them back in stock. I picked up a red, gray and blue. Nice little lights....such a deal!

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have beam shots of this Dorcy 1AAA.

I recall that incadescent Dorcys tend to have bad beams (like Mags). Does this hold true for LED Dorcys?

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Anyone have beam shots of this Dorcy 1AAA.

I recall that incadescent Dorcys tend to have bad beams (like Mags). Does this hold true for LED Dorcys?

[/ QUOTE ]
Direct link to Craig's reviews of the 1-LED Dorcy is here: http://safeco2.home.att.net/dorcy1.htm -- to me, color is good and I'm not that picky about beam shape, especially in a six dollar light.