Mini radio question

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a small portable panasonic radio that i listen to for 2-3 hrs daily. it is a great little radio, but seems hard on batteries.
it runs on 4aa or a pull-out cord for 110v. i use it mostly with bats so i cna drag it around the house.

2 questions:
would my new nimh 2100mah bats work well?

how about that countycomm mini shortwave radio? does it get decent bat life, and sound ok? i usually dont listen at high volumes.

thanks,
Bob

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's drawing pretty hard on the batts (sounds like it is) then odds are you'll benefit from switching from alakaline to NiMH. Standard alkalines have high internal resistance, so perform poorly in high drain situations. The NiMH will handle the high current and save you a bunch of money in the longrun.

paulr

Flashaholic
Your radio should do fine on nimh. The Countycomm radio is a good value but it's sort of cheaply made and has a tiny speaker. Nice for occasional use, probably not so great for using every day.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
good info, thanks.

i may get one of those tiny radios anyway, just to have a spare.

soooo, with the nimh, how would it be best to keep from discharging them too far and hurting them? maybe just schedule them for a change once every 2 weeks? or wait until the volume starts to fall?

Bob

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't worry about the nimh. Just swap them out and recharge them when the radio starts sounding crackly.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old, (from the '70's and YES, I still love my cassettes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!), Sanyo boom box that takes six D cells. I run it with six 2000mah NiMH AA's using battery up-sizers. Even with this power hungry big cassette/radio, the AA's last a good while. Like paulr mentioned, I just recharge them when the cassettes start sounding a little sour.