What is brightest, smallest light available?

Psychomodo

Enlightened
I am very new to flashlight collecting and I've just purchased my first three "real" lights (Arc4+, ArcAAA and Tigerlight FBOP).
I want to buy a very small but very bright light. I know that a 500 lumen running on a AAA is not available - yet, but what is the brightest light available for me to buy, that runs on maybe a 123 or something a little bigger? (I think I've caught the "bug") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmmm. You might be able to get a little more output than the Arc4+ with a 1x123 PR917 or something, but not that much more. The next step would be a small 2x123 light. Max output in such a light would be a Surefire E2e with a modified bezel running a P61 lamp. That should give 100+ lumens for about 20 minutes, with only around 1/2 ounce more weight than the Arc4+. CPF'er this_is_nascar has been offering such modified bezels for sale, if you don't want to do the mod yourself.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think an X5T/BB750 will come anywhere near the P61 in raw lumens. It will be more refined though.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I don't think an X5T/BB750 will come anywhere near the P61 in raw lumens. It will be more refined though.

[/ QUOTE ] X3T = 5W LS with X-bin (192 lm+)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
if you're really trying to crank out the lumens, then you need a bb1amp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

less runtime, but whoowhee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Roth - what is a bb1amp? Please excuse my ignorance here. I am a newbie (got my first light 2 weeks ago) and know nothing about modding (if that's what you call it). I really want to just BUY something small and outstanding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_Larson said: X3T = 5W LS with X-bin (192 lm+)

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't believe for one second that you'll get that many lumens from the actual flashlight. It could be that 192 lumens are coming out of the bare die, but there's a lot of losses between the bare die and the outside of the bezel. The Space Needle II gets 200+ lumens from an X bin by overdriving it to around around 2 amps with three SF123A direct drive. The BB750 doesn't get it anywhere near that much power.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_Larson said:
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:

[/ QUOTE ] X3T = 5W LS with X-bin (192 lm+)

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

A X3T PR BB750 Mclux will putout 192+ lumens?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
WOW... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

A X3T PR BB750 Mclux will putout 192+ lumens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, an X-bin driven at spec (700mA) will output at least 192 lumens out of the die. What happens after that is anyone's guess. If you trap it beneath a crusty old coke-bottle-bottom lens, you naturally won't get that many lumens out the front, but we're not talking about that.

The fact remains that an X-bin 5W is about the best you can do on 2x123. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the space needle 2 is a v bin, not an x bin.

even including optical innefficiencies, an overdriven xbin could smash a p61.

i think a lux3 sandwhich in a firefly might be the best bang-for-the size light that is fairly readily available.
unless you can talk tvodrd into making you a cr2 light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
750 mA is not an overdriven X-bin. It's driven at just about spec. Overdriving at 1500 mA might beat a P61, but I don't think you can do that with two 123's for any length of time. You could do it with three 123's probably. You will also need a pretty big heat sink, even at 750 mA. A PM6 or McLux PR head is quite a bit bigger than an E2e head.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
750 is overdriving (if only a little)
and converters can be made to drive it harder. i've got a mclux pr head with a 5w and about 900ma. that's around 200ma overdrive.

not only should a slightly overdriven x3t be brighter, it should stay brighter, due to the regulation.

psycho, it's hard to say how many lumens it puts out... i don't personally have one, so i don't feel comfortable commenting.
it's likely that the turned down optic is less efficient than a full optic, but the firefly is also a lot smaller than just about any other luxeon light...

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
750 mA is not an overdriven X-bin. It's driven at just about spec. Overdriving at 1500 mA might beat a P61, but I don't think you can do that with two 123's for any length of time.

[/ QUOTE ] Let me see here... 750mA, 192 lumens (granted, not accounting for reflector losses). Unknown draw (lasts 20 minutes on 2x123), 120 lumens for a short while - don't forget that its not regulated, and the lumens will start dropping the minute you switch it on.

I don't understand why you're hung up on the P61. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif