Zebralight SC5c Mk II Flashlight Review (Runtimes, output test, UI programming demo)

mhanlen

Enlightened
Hey Candle Power Forums. I purchased this light a while back, and got a flaky one on the first try. So after a month of waiting I got a replacement. This is my full review. I test the output of the light, perform runtime tests with a lux meter, compare the light to others, and show you how to program it. Thanks for watching and beware a NSFW word or two.

TCY

Enlightened
Woohoo! I've been waiting for this for months! Thanks mhanlen:twothumbs

TCY

Enlightened
Annnnnd yes ZL does use Eneloop pro for testing runtime. I tested the 230lm mode on my H53Fc with a freshly charged eneloop pro, 1hr 13min and it steps down to 100. (ZL claims 1hr 36min without stepping down) I asked ZL about this and ZL's reply: "The difference between 1 hour 13 min and 1 hour 36 min is mostly caused by deviation between samples and testing conditions (batteries, ...) We usually put a smaller (minimum) figure in the spec." I plan to run another runtime test later today to see if their claim is credible. Just thought you should know.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I did a pretty good job of talking myself out of buying one of these. I don't need you going around trying to ruin my efforts by confirming it's a really excellent light.

Seriously though, thanks for another good review. I'm not surprised it fell behind Zebralight's runtime spec in most modes, but am surprised it beat the runtime claimed in the 40 lumen mode, which is great, because that's one of the most useful levels for me.

Has the miniature one stolen your SC600?

mhanlen

Enlightened
You know, I did a pretty good job of talking myself out of buying one of these. I don't need you going around trying to ruin my efforts by confirming it's a really excellent light.

Seriously though, thanks for another good review. I'm not surprised it fell behind Zebralight's runtime spec in most modes, but am surprised it beat the runtime claimed in the 40 lumen mode, which is great, because that's one of the most useful levels for me.

Has the miniature one stolen your SC600?

I think I've actually misplaced it. I hope I left it at work. She was using the Thrunite archer. I had to give her something to do, or she would have went after the camera.

Annnnnd yes ZL does use Eneloop pro for testing runtime. I tested the 230lm mode on my H53Fc with a freshly charged eneloop pro, 1hr 13min and it steps down to 100. (ZL claims 1hr 36min without stepping down) I asked ZL about this and ZL's reply: "The difference between 1 hour 13 min and 1 hour 36 min is mostly caused by deviation between samples and testing conditions (batteries, ...) We usually put a smaller (minimum) figure in the spec." I plan to run another runtime test later today to see if their claim is credible. Just thought you should know.

Good to know! Yeah it took me a while to get it after my first one was slightly defective. Thanks!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've already bought one of these so your review didn't sway me obviously, but I'd just add that you nailed it on the ui. It's honestly a game-changer for Zebralight fans. Folks who liked the old ui can still keep it, but folks who didn't like how easy it was to accidentally trigger turbo can fix theirs like they want. It's awesome, and it's made my other Zebras feel obsolete in comparison. Zebralight needs to hurry up with that SC64w cause I want it now.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Yeah man... I want an 18650 version pronto! I'll get one of the floodier ones this time though. Thanks!