Beamshot comparison - Mod KL3/McLux PR/Std KL3

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
With all of the discussion of the KL3, I thought I'd post a few beamshots, Alan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif, there's also a shot of your McLux PR as well.

All shots were taken at 10'.

Stock KL3:
kl3_org.JPG

This was a typical KL3, violet tint to the light.

Modded KL3 (1A with TX1J & Fraen LP):
kl3_mod.JPG

The Fraen-modified KL3 was BRIGHT, the hotspot was about 24" in diameter at 10'.

McLux PR (DB1000 with TV0K):
pr_tv0k_db1000.JPG

The hotspot was about 14" in diameter at 10'.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
two questions:
1. what exactly was the mod done to the second KL3?
2. when used longer, how hot becomes the DB1000 KL3?
thanx!
bernhard

EDIT: ooops ... screwed up. forget the second question, please. I will not edit it out though, it shall stand as a monument to my stupidity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How large is the diameter of the PR-DB1000 w/TVOK hotspot at 21 feet? If it is around 24 inches, it confirms my findings with a PT917*E2 that I have been evaluating.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well from those three images, I would pick the stock KL3 over the modded KL3 and certainly over the PR!

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Bernhard,

This is the same mod being done by Chop (just not as well). The stock convertor is adjusted to supply 1A and the stock LD is replaced with a T-binned Luxeon III. So no DB's were hurt in this mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The head does warm up fast (you begin to feel it ~1 min), but it is not unbearable. I have not run it for extended periods yet...

Yes, the stock KL3 does have a tighter hot spot (albeit a bit less distinct).

I even double-checked with the NX-05 on the modded KL3 and the narrower hotspot was still present. I didn't spend a lot of time spacing the Fraen, the slightly different thickness of the optic may be the culprit.

The only other thing was that the LuxeonIII was full of bubbles, but I don't think that the bubbles would make too much difference.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I don't think these shots really do justice to the KL3/Fraen LP/Lux III combo or to the McLux PR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think that was what Don was trying to get at. You need to set the camera at a certain exposure and not let it automatically adjust. Also, the color rendering in those shots is completely whacked.

PS - The spot of my PR 917 with SWAK on an E2 body is approximately 24" at 21'.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Thanks LMM, I've reloaded the original pictures, there is some improvement in picture quality. Unfortunately, the camera I have will is truly a point-and-shoot camera, and exposure control is not available.