Review: Fenix CL09

narmattaru

Enlightened
Review example was provided by manufacturer.
CL25R was my 1st branded flashlight. And after a couple of years I can say that i`ve collected all the models from CL line. After CL30R, Gulliver in word of camping lights, Fenix focused on an opposite size and made a small 16340 powered flashlight .

Specification from Fenix website

APPEARANCE

The same plastic box that we used to see. My one successfully survived travel from China to Russia, which not all the packages does.
9035f2.jpg

On the rear side i`ve noticed a detail, unseen before, but long time expected. Guys, Fenix gave us here runtime chart! With stepdowns and all the stuff that we search for in reviews. Well, I`d honestly like to say 谢谢 for doing this. That is so much better than what we used to see, specifications like "1.5hours in turbo" with real 1.5min of turbo and then 2 hour of 60% brightness. Of course i`ll check it.
4e43ba.jpg

b4395e.jpg

Package
is simple and includes:

16340 battery with (!) intergrated micro-USB charging port!
a couple of 0-rings
small metal rings for keys
manual\warraty card
11270a.jpg

ce06e4.jpg

Appearance of CL09 is simple. That is solid cylinder, black bottom and semitransparent plastic white top. BTW, this one seems to be as thick as others from 20\25\30. I also have nitecore camp light, which reflector didn`t survived falling from table and cracked. I`ve red that someone from Russian flashlight forum also faced this. CL09 fell like 5 times, even on concrete – nothing happened.
e14f24.jpg

876442.jpg

SN, model name – everything as usually.
9b9d09.jpg

CL09 is quite small, just a little bit longer than 18650 battery.
d16aab.jpg

But if you looking for something bigger and brighter, CL line has a lot of options.
10a094.jpg

e53656.jpg

There is a small buckle at tail to hang CL09. And you can use magnet as well. Very useful.
44daa5.jpg
e5e0f3.jpg
4549c0.jpg

Spring
is only at tail. Head part have regular contact plate. That is not that good when we talk about full-size lights, but or this one that`s no problem at all. I don`t see any advantages of placing spring at head here, that`ll lead only to extra 4-5mm length.
5bbdc6.jpg

99f95f.jpg

Threads
are small and triangle, well lubricated
251248.jpg

16340 battery definitely deserves to be mentioned. Usually batteries included in package are not of highest capacity and i`d better buy package without batteries to save money and have a choice for my favorite batteries. But this one is a good part of package. Why? Because Fenix managed to shove micro-USB charging port in such a small battery. So if you have only one battery , there is no need to carry charger with you. You take powerbank with you and charge this battery wherever you want. There is red-blue charge indicator.

I measured 0.34A charging currency, it took little less than 2 hours to fully charge it. Though Fenix states 700mah, I measured capacity 3-4 times and all the results were about 650mah. Well, that is also decent capacity.

7b9be9.jpg

That is all about appearance.
Well built, solid stuff flashlight. Diffusor dome is really tightly connected with metal body, so there is no way to take it off without breaking small pegs that position dome correctly.

UI
Simplest. Just twist head and modes will cycle. The same UI that is used at keyilghts.
Modes always start with LOW. Then goe MID-HIGH-TURBO-RED-RED FLASH-GREEN.
Nothing to add. Simple and working

Btw, in deep discharge you can only enter low mode, but that is expected.
That`s all, folks )

CL09 PERFORMANCE

The best way to use CL09 is to hang it. If you tailstand it, a lot of light will go upward and be wasted. Of course in tent that may be not that bad, as light will reflect from walls.
f46024.jpg

Tint is more CW than NW, something intermediate. I think that is because of white plastic dome that cuts warm light frequencies.
I haven`t noticed any trace of visible PWM-shimmering at any mode.
And now is my subjective opinion about modes.
LOW – very dim, may serve as nightlight (thought i had to point at at the wall, or it still was too bright for eyes adapted to darkness). Something like 0.5 lum would be perfect for nightlight mode. But still that was enough for me to walk in attick without hitting my head.
MID – in small tent (for 2 persons) brightness will be enough to play cards.
HIGH – at 1-1.5 meter distance you can easily read, this mode is ok even for room like my kithchen which is 3×4 meter. Of course I mean that your eyes have already adapt to darkness.
TURBO – too bright for small tent. That is ok for room.
Red -green – are quite bright for night light. I often use red light, but I have no idea about usefulness of green mode here in camping light.
"Red flashes" mode is perfect for road safety, when ride bicycle.

Btw, I placed luxmeter about 1.5meters under kitchen cell light and here is what I measured
Cell light (3 х 60wt lamps) 65lux
CL09 0-2.9-7.4-20.4
CL25R 0-2.9-9.3-16
C30R 0-2.1-4.4-18-34

CL20 is not mentioned as I cannot balance it properly. You can see what I mean below on GIF. Hope they are good enough to explain what you can expect from CL09.
Also, I have to notice that 25\30R have a kinda of dark spot under them so if I had placed luxmeter at the sides it would shown more numbers.
CLs.gif

kuchen.gif

garage25ee7.gif

And here is my runtime chart.
59260a.jpg

There is almost half an hour of good brightness in turbo. Stepdown from hight is kinda stairway-like. Not that smooth, but, well – that each of these drops are soo small that eye will not notice it in reality. And it seems that there is a discharge protection in battery, as lowest voltage that I `ve measured was 2 ,68v for the included one, and about 1.9 for regular Soshine.
I also want to point that this lead to extended runtime, but it also deeply drawns battery which is definitely not good for it.

Well, as you can see, Fenix promised us 3hours of runtime in turbo and we got it, which is undoubtly rare matching of real and promided specs -)
But that is only for Soshine battery. I think that there is something with my included one, i was told that guys in Fenix`ll run addittional tests. Please take a look at the video. I had no chance to practice my English in last decade, so pardon me for bad pronunciation. there are also some videos with rest of CL models

OVERALL.
An interesting thing. I like it and find it functional for it`s size. And my experience with the rest of CL line let me assume that you can rely on CL09. It will not breake and will provide you with a good light, taking almost no space in pocket or backpack. If you also have 1-2 spare batteries or powerbank – that may provide you with light for a long time. Placing usb-charging port in such a small battery is a good idea.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
.............CL09 fell like 5 times, even on concrete – nothing happened..............
Good to know. Thanks for the review! You always do a good job. I like the CL09. I could do without the red and green leds though. It's a nice bonus to get the 16340 rechargeable battery. The jury is still out for me as to whether having the charging port built into the battery is a good idea or not. I kind of prefer not to have them built in but so far I haven't had any problem with the ones I have. Normally I will elect to just buy a normal 16340 battery but since it came with this one, I'll definitely use it.

narmattaru

Enlightened
thax for reply.

i think that this "cl09+battery" package is aimed to serve as a gift, as you don`t need to buy separate battery and charger.

thouse who want to have some reserve can definetely buy a couple of spare 16340, they don`t occupy no space, and are so light so you can carry even 10pack with you )

now, after spending some nights with CL09 as a nightlight i think that adding really dim mode would be useful, like 0.5. In small tent LOW (as it is now) may be too bright (though this one is quite dim, to be frank) when you wake up at night. But still you can you red mode as well. i just point reflector to the wall and that works perfectly.

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened
Great review, thank you! I'll be picking one of these up to throw in my backpack. The included 16340 battery is definitely a bonus, I already own one these (Fenix battery) and they work great, love the built-in USB port.

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the review, narmattaru! You always do a great job!
I've got the same feeling as you did for the Fenix CL series, compact but functional, well-designed. I have my CL25R stand on my nightstand, love it!:nana:

Marcuswell

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the review, narmattaru! You always do a great job!

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic review, I really appreciate the gif showing modes and other lanterns.

Thank you for taking the time to do this review.

Now I need to go buy some new lanterns. :)

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.
I bought my first CL09 at the end of 2019.
I already had two CL05s and was happy with them, I tried to buy a third but found that it was discontinued.
I reluctantly bought a CL09 thinking it was too expensive but I changed my mind and currently I have two (a third is on shipping)
A beautiful light well made, I like it because it is powerful even if I have never used the Turbo level, I find the perfect choice of light levels.
I just wish it had the memory of the last level used.
My use so far has been only with the red light, I attach the CL09 on the backpack when I walk on the roadside (intermittent red) it is also suitable as a position light if you use the bicycle.
As others have said I would see very well an identical version but 18650. (extension tube?)
A third red level would also be nice, in addition to those already present I would like to see a red_beacon.