Observations on the Nitecore SRT7GT as compared to the old SRT7

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
Moderators: Although this is more of a comparison than a true review, feel free to move this to the flashlight reviews forum if you think it's more appropriate there.

So I just got a Nitecore SRT7GT to replace my busted SRT7. If you're not familiar with the SRT7, I encourage you to read my review of the older model. Here's a quick comparison between the two:

• Externally, the two are nearly identical. The lights come with the same set of accessories and will accept the same attachments. You would be hard-pressed to tell the difference unless you looked through the lens or examined the markings on the light.
  • The hotspot is a bit smaller but the spill is still very well lit, a consequence of the use of the new Cree XLamp XP-L HI emitter. As a result, throw has significantly improved from the SRT7 – some 50% higher according to the specs, though I would not be able to verify the numbers. Overall output has also increased slightly. Beam quality is still excellent despite the extra cutouts for the color LEDs.
  • The SRT7GT runs slightly cooler at full brightness than the SRT7. I don't have much to say about runtime, but I suppose it's also improved slightly due to this efficiency improvement.
  • To accommodate the new UV mode, the spacing between modes on the Smart Selector Ring has shrunken. Furthermore, the adjustment range for continuously-variable brightness now extends all the way to the mechanical detents. In other words, on the SRT7GT, you need to turn the ring almost all the way to the point where it clicks into place to put it in standby or run it at full brightness, while on the old SRT7, the light would reach full brightness or go into standby before the ring clicks into place.
  • The color and UV modes are each serviced by single LEDs. On the old model, the color modes used three RGB LEDs, and all three of them were used at the same time. Their output have dropped slightly and the beam quality isn't great, but it doesn't really matter as much as the quality of the main beam.
  • The UV mode is positioned between the red and standby modes on the control ring. At 500 mW, the UV emitter isn't particularly bright, but it is still strong enough for currency authentication and other observation tasks that require UV light.
  • The indicator LED on the side of the head is now blue instead of red.
  • Warranty coverage has been extended to five years, up from two years. In the United States, official distributor Nitecore Store (with which I'm not affiliated) is responsible for warranty service.

All told, the SRT7GT is a natural evolution of the SRT7, expanding upon the versatility of the old model and making it even more useful than before as a multipurpose tactical light. At an MSRP of US$110, it's a hard sell for those who already have the SRT7 and don't have a pressing need for the UV feature or upgraded emitter, but users in the market for a single-18650 light that can handle virtually any illumination task will find the SRT7GT to be one of the very best choices out there.

Draco

Last edited:

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
Some more observations:

• The Smart Selector Ring on the SRT7GT is fly-by-wire. On the old SRT7, the SSR is essentially a dumb "ring position = mode" selector. On the SRT7GT, there are additional electronic controls between the ring and the actual mode selected so the position of the ring may sometimes not correspond to actual output; very slow movement of the ring in continuously-variable brightness mode sometimes does not cause the mode to change until a larger movement is detected, at which point the output immediately changes. This makes fine brightness adjustment more difficult, but was probably necessary to implement ATR (see next point).
  • The SRT7GT uses Nitecore's Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) technology. Instead of relying on a timed stepdown to keep temperatures in check (the old SRT7 stepped down from full brightness after 6 minutes), the flashlight's electronics monitor temperature and throttle output as necessary to keep heat within limits. With adequate cooling and battery power, the light will run at full brightness for well beyond 6 minutes (see Bdm82's review for details).
  • Regulation appears to be more stable than before, even as the battery is discharged. Again, this is probably due to the electronically-controlled output.
Draco

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
...hmm interesting. Here are my observations of the new GT vs the original SRT7 without going into a rant. The only good thing about the new SRT7GT is the new thermal regulation feature. I had expected a lot more for some reason not sure why. The emitter in my GT came off center which is never good. The new UV secondary LED is actually very good I will admit that.

I have had the whole SRT line from when they were first introduced so I have plenty of experience with the series. The original SRT7 has a near perfect magnetic control ring despite the still remaining in the new GT "police strobe" being in the UI chain. The new GT control ring layout and movement from function to function is out of whack. For perfect example going through the secondary LED's you actually have to turn the ring 4 or 5mm through the setting to get to the next one. Nothing happens to the secondary LED output when still turning the ring through the feature it does not brighten or dim it is just slop really. The original SRT7 control ring simply goes "click to click" through the secondary modes.

Lastly....this is very important here, the SRT7 GT has an even worse low voltage sensor circuit than the original SRT7. I have used 2x18350 sources in my original SRT7 for a long time now to get the extra roughly 100 lumens out of the light that 2xsources manage to get out of it. I put 2x18350's in my new GT and the low voltage sensor LED in the head of the light starts flashing at its most rapid pace. These are new AW 18350's fresh off the charger. Same thing with 2xCR123's,2x16340's.