Klarus        

Thread: Nitecore TIP vs Washing Machine: The Aftermath

Default Nitecore TIP vs Washing Machine: The Aftermath

In my continuing saga of bad-luck with taking care of my lights, my less-than-a-month-old Christmas-Edition TIP has met an unfortunate end, not on my key-chain, but in my washing machine where it seems to have gotten stuck between the drum for no less than 10 loads in a row, all but destroying it.

As you can see the drum wore 90% of the way through the aluminum, reaching the plastic underneath in several places.

This side arguably had it even worse, breaking off the push buttons and gouging a giant gash from front to back.

The gouge from the edge of the drum was several millimeters deep, almost reaching the PCB underneath. Only a sliver of metal thinner than tin-foil remains between the PCB and the open air.

STILL WORKS

I have no idea how it lived submerged through the hours of detergent filled water, sans any waterproofing, let alone all the scraping, and lived. Sadly, the broken top button means you cant change modes without shorting it out by hand. Oh well, time to buy another one.

Default Re: Nitecore TIP vs Washing Machine: The Aftermath

That's awesome. I'd have guess the chances of a Tip surviving a wash cycle would be better than 50:50, but no way for surviving getting caught in the drum.

But does it still have PWM?

Awesome wacbzz

And, wow to the OP. Now that's a torture test

Flashaholic*

Thanks for sharing, Sir Lightalot!!

I really like my Nitecore TIP.

Wow, Impressive robustness. I didn't expect the "It still works!" pic at the end after seeing the first two.
    I just got a new TIP 360 for last resort EDC a couple of weeks ago, but I'm so impressed with it; it actually works like a "real torch"... It's performance is better than many of the "real torches" I had in the past. Excellent brightness, fair throw, smooth beam, good flood, excellent tint (no discernable green), usable battery life along with the micro usb port so I can charge it in the car, at home, pretty much anywhere... Total win all round. IPX8 would be the final icing on the cake, but that's not a huge problem.
    Really impressed, and I do like this simple modern 2 button UI which Nitecore uses on a lot of their recent flashlights.
    Mag: 4D LED, Fenix: LD20, TK35, TK70, 47s: Preon 2, Quark Mini AA, ReVO SS, ZL SC600Fd Mk III+, SC5Fd Hi CRI, Sunwayman D40A, Nitecore EC4S, TIP 360, Klarus XT12GT, Lumintop Cu Tool, Ti Tool; UTorch UT01, UT02
    Maha: MH-C808M, MH-C9000, iCharger 206B, SkyRC MC3000, XTAR VP2, Litokala Lii 100

So, how's your mom's clothes washer doin?

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    But does it still have PWM?
    The TIP never had PWM.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4947286

"The TIP employs a high efficiency constant current circuit (NOT PWM), effectively preventing fluctuations in output and reducing eye strain to a minimum."

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlike View Post
    The TIP never had PWM.

"The TIP employs a high efficiency constant current circuit (NOT PWM), effectively preventing fluctuations in output and reducing eye strain to a minimum."
    I think someone found it had PWM despite the claim...can't remember where exactly
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    I think someone found it had PWM despite the claim...can't remember where exactly
    Well, if it does have PWM it must be a high frequency. It is undetectable on mine when in low mode.
    I can even take it in front of a mirror in a dark room moving it very quickly and can't see any strobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlike View Post
    The TIP never had PWM.

Don't fear...someone will slide some info into this thread soon enough to try to debunk you.

I think the PWM was a joke, let's not get hung up on it yet again...

Enlightened

Well, at least you solved the pocket activation issue. No protruding buttons anymore.
    May the Light illumine you

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lightalot View Post

STILL WORKS

I have no idea how it lived submerged through the hours of detergent filled water, sans any waterproofing, let alone all the scraping, and lived.
    WOW!!! The new King of the Cockroach lights.. simply amazing. I would not have believed it without a photo. No venting with fire.. No shorted battery.. holes in the case, missing buttons, and Still Works! That has got to be some sort of record.

Oh, and by the way, to the OP, if you haven't already, I'd suggest leaving it for a week in a sealed jar full of rice, and it will dry out all of the internals. Then if you can jerry rig something for the mode switch it'll still be a good functional torch.
    Mag: 4D LED, Fenix: LD20, TK35, TK70, 47s: Preon 2, Quark Mini AA, ReVO SS, ZL SC600Fd Mk III+, SC5Fd Hi CRI, Sunwayman D40A, Nitecore EC4S, TIP 360, Klarus XT12GT, Lumintop Cu Tool, Ti Tool; UTorch UT01, UT02
    Maha: MH-C808M, MH-C9000, iCharger 206B, SkyRC MC3000, XTAR VP2, Litokala Lii 100

Flashaholic*

I think I would fill the LED and charge port with Vaseline, and plasti-dip the whole thing. Instant waterproof case.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

The Wood is cut,
    The Bacon is cooked,
    Now it’s time to sleep
    RIP our friend.

Wow. Feel better about owning one. It's a cool light for sure. Sorry to the OP. Hate when gear gets trashed not doing what it was made for.

If I understand correctly, your Tip went between the inner and outer drums? If so, you should re-install the top shroud that prevents that sort of thing. In my case, my once upon a time baby daughters sock got in there and then into the water pump. Boy, did I close that opening after having to disassemble the entire washer including the pump.

Look for Nitecore to send ya a FREE Tip shortly. They better. (don't hold your breath though)
    A Torture Trial like that is top notch advertising.

How would you describe the beam now? Would you say it's "clean"?

Awesome that it still works!

Buy a replacement switch from Ebay (you can get a bag of 50 for probably a few $). Solder on a replacement switch, then make new button covers with Sugru, and fill in any small punctures with epoxy or super-glue. The light should be good to go and with such an interesting story behind it!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post
    How would you describe the beam now? Would you say it's "clean"?
    I imagine the tint is bright white, with no colors bleeding through.

Quote Originally Posted by Streamer View Post
    If I understand correctly, your Tip went between the inner and outer drums? If so, you should re-install the top shroud that prevents that sort of thing. In my case, my once upon a time baby daughters sock got in there and then into the water pump. Boy, did I close that opening after having to disassemble the entire washer including the pump.

Look for Nitecore to send ya a FREE Tip shortly. They better. (don't hold your breath though)
    A Torture Trial like that is top notch advertising.
    It's actually a front-loader not a top loader. But as a former appliance repair technician, I understand your pain. FYI, on many of the older Whirlpool/Maytag top-loaders you can remove the pump from the underneath without disassembling the whole machine. Makes replacing it (or removing socks) much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lightalot View Post
    It's actually a front-loader not a top loader. But as a former appliance repair technician, I understand your pain. FYI, on many of the older Whirlpool/Maytag top-loaders you can remove the pump from the underneath without disassembling the whole machine. Makes replacing it (or removing socks) much easier.
    LOL..for an older fart like myself...just removing a screw or two is "disassembling the entire machine".

... Love sir , Indeed excellent selling point, for the model, for Nitecore.

Noted there are 3 stainless steel versions coming out very soon!.

(but nice, if Nitecore made some ti versions

David ...

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION//T/TIPSS/

... hotlinked photos x2 removed ...
    Last edited by archimedes; 08-08-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: hotlinked photos removed

A combination of good waterproofness and only the housing (and button) getting destroyed. Kudos Nitecore for making durable lights. These stainless steel tip look goooooood, I might get some and give out as gifts. Thanks for sharing sphere

I accidently left mine in the wash, no physical damage but the water must have shorted out something causing the light to stay on until the battery dies. Once I plugged it back in to charge (several days later), the light still comes back on but won't shut off. Ah well...

Flashaholic*

LED Solitaire somehow survived a washing machine cycle here. Since they're not even touted as being waterproof this would be particularly noteworthy, if it weren't for maglite.