Acebeam X80 25000 lumens nightly video review

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's indeed an impressive flashlight but what I didn't understand when first hearing of it and seeing the first reviews, isn't it better to use less emitters and drive them at near the maximum? I can't imagine that you can drive the flashlight in its highest setting for a usable amount of time before getting really hot, in one of the videos the reviewer even says that the light got once so hot that he was barely able to use the switch.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
It's indeed an impressive flashlight but what I didn't understand when first hearing of it and seeing the first reviews, isn't it better to use less emitters and drive them at near the maximum? I can't imagine that you can drive the flashlight in its highest setting for a usable amount of time before getting really hot, in one of the videos the reviewer even says that the light got once so hot that he was barely able to use the switch.
When emmitera are over driven their efficiency drop. If you have a lot of emmiters with less current each it wolud be brighter than less emmiters even on the same watt
It's like why we have quad or tripels in single cell light.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
With maximum I mean 3 A looking at the XH-P 50.2 in the 6V-version and in that region the drop of efficacy isn't very significant, the drop with heat build-up is more significant.

For my part it just looks overpowered with to less of cooling potential. You will get a great output the first second but the efficiency will greatly degress respectively to the heat build-up of the flashlight body. For me it just looks like the heatsinking too less for the amount of emitters and you would be better of with having less emitters as the heat build-up will be the restricting factor anyways. Sure you would have the initial short burst high brightness but you have to step down anyways because otherwise the flashlight would get to hot anyways.

I would really like to test a X80, to see how it regulates luminosity and heat build-up.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
The heat of the batteries versus the emitters is a question I would ask. If you over-drive less emitters, you're looking at more wattage and more battery heat,, imho I believe most batteries are damaged by heat before anything else, this is why high drains exist. Imr high drain cells survive and maintain best performance where high capacity li-ion cells get damaged and reduce their capacity, in my case, in one year of use, about 100 charges my LG HG2 batteries (and those are usually good with high drain) got damaged from two or three times I pushed the limits of the light they are isolated to, my tk75. In this case, my batteries have lost over 25% of their capacity. Typically that wouldn't happen for 500 charges or more.

The stock x80 is putting more stress at the head than the batteries, by not even using the full potential of batteries, the critical limits to this are important. It means as it stands you can probably use any type of 18650 you want, without much hesitation, because their internal resistance is more easy to handle.

This of what I'm saying, if you are right. If you're wrong, and extra leds don't actually mean more heat, but perhaps less since they are so close to the edge of the head, then batteries may be irrelevant, and the point is still finally given value: the x80 was created naturally and deserves additional respect for their multiple LED design.
I think separating the leds makes them cool faster, not slower. Like a xhp50 being split from 4 together to 4 apart.