Review: Nitecore Concept 1 (1x18650 EDC, XHP35 HD, almost 2000 lumens)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Concept 1 from Nitecore for the review.

The Concept 1 is a 18650 EDC with a high output, due to the CREE XHP35 HD E2 of power and a new solution for the switch.

The Concept 1 is a medium - big sized 18650 light (112x25mm, 62 g), it has a cylindrical tailcap and a cylindrical body that tapers into a cone toward the head.
Nitecore_Concept_1_01.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_02.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_04.jpg

The head up carrying clip is secured to the light by 2 screws, and comes already mounted on this light.
Nitecore_Concept_1_03.jpg

The most distinctive feature is the switch, on the head.
Nitecore_Concept_1_05.jpg

Rather than going for the usual electronic switch cover in rubber or metal, Nitecore on the Concept 1 has adopted a metallic lever that if pushed down, depresses the switch.
Nitecore_Concept_1_06.jpg

On one end, the lever is connected to the head with some pins, on the other, by a screw.
You can see here the switch under it.
Nitecore_Concept_1_07.jpg

This "new switch" is really easy to locate in the dark, even with gloves on, and provides an anti rolling feature (that is also present due to the clip). But the switch lever rattles a bit when the light is shaken.

Threads at the head and at the tailcap are well made, lubed, and anodized for physical lockout. The tailcap hosts a magnet that makes the Concept 1 able to stand on metallic surfaces.
Nitecore_Concept_1_08.jpg

The contact point at the head is a raised button, so flat top cells will work fine as button top.
Nitecore_Concept_1_09.jpg

The Concept 1 comes with a cordura sheath
Nitecore_Concept_1_10.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_11.jpg

UI
Nitecore_Concept_1_UI.png

Beamshots at 0.5 meters from the wall
Nitecore_Concept_1_12.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_13.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_14.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_15.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_16.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_17.jpg

Nitecore_Concept_1_18.jpg

The big LED in the small reflector gives a wide beam, useful in the short distances.

Output and Runtime
Nitecore_Concept_1_Output.png

Nitecore_Concept_1_Runtime1.png

Nitecore_Concept_1_Runtime2.png

Nitecore_Concept_1_Runtime3.png

Nitecore_Concept_1_Runtime4.png

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
In my tests I used the General UI, which allows direct access / shortcuts to lowest and highest mode, and has memory mode: all things I like in my lights.
The regulation is good, although I would like a non stepping down level at around 5-700 lumens.
A bigger switch means it will more easily bump into things, leading to accidental activations (it happened to me). There is also a not irrelevant parasitic drain, around few mAh, which will deplete a full battery within few months. For both reasons, I recommend you to keep the light physically locked out.
If you are looking for a medium to large size 18650 EDC light with a lot of output, the Concept 1 may suit you.
The sheath is slightly bigger for the light, I would like a tighter fit. I'd like the clip to allow a more deep carry. I'd like to see this light come with a NW tint.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help, the thermal camera and the luxmeter; Zampa for the tripod.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your very detailed and valuable review for this interesting light.

Size/power ratio, and new aesthetics make this a standout item. I am eager to see what come next in the Concept line from Nitecore.

Budda

Enlightened
I hope they continue improving the switch system they used. It is a great innovation and I hope to see an improved version on many future models.

Also:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
good review, but as far as i see...about 400lums in continuous mode is not that much...

Agreed. I think it's a negative consequence of the trend to maximize unsustainable output in order to sell more lights. They set the max output way too high, then in order to make the difference from the next level obvious, they have no choice but to reduce the next level by a factor of 3 or more, thus skipping over a range of higher outputs that could have been sustained but wouldn't have sold more lights. Acebeam, Zebralight, and Armytek to an extent also offer reasonable high modes with much better regulation. That's very good.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rampdown in the Concept 1 is by thermal sensor I think. You can override it by pressing or holding down the button while in turbo mode. Doing so immediately resets output to 100% and keeps it there as long as you hold the button.

The head of the light feels like it has some mass in there, but without any heatsink fins it simply lacks the ability to shed heat fast.