E1L, How can i Change bulb more lumens?

chainsolid

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

I just receive Surefire E1L from local community around $19
E1L with KL1 single output 30 lumens
How can I change the bulb for more lumens?

GTQCd

GTQCd

Thank for all

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have that particular light, but assuming it's like a typical LED light you'll need to do the following:

1. Unscrew and remove the bezel and the lens.
2. Lift out or unscrew the reflector. Do NOT touch the reflecting surface with anything while performing this operation.
3. Lift out the plastic isolator around the LED, if there is one. A small dental pick sized hook is extremely useful for this.
4. The LED should be mounted on a small metal circuit board. This board is called the "star". Desolder the 2 wires to the star.
5. Lift out and remove the star.
6. Measure the diameter of the star, then go online and order a replacement LED. You can probably find one already mounted on a similar sized star. A good place to get replacement LEDs is Mountain Electronics.
7. Make sure to purchase thermal grease at the same time you buy the LED. Arctic Silver 5 works well.
8. wipe out any thermal grease or compound under the stock star with a QTip.
9. Apply a thin layer fresh thermal grease to the shelf the star sits on.
10. When your new star with LED on it arrives, insert it into the light, solder up the leadwires and reassemble the light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the KL1 a fixed LED head, or is it capable of using P60 style drop ins? If you don't feel comfortable doing your own modifications, Lumens Factory makes some E1 drop ins and complete head assemblies if you want to upgrade.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
No P60's.
I came here to say Lumens Factory or Malkoff depending on budget. Malkoff would be cream of the crop.

Want to do a bit more advanced lego?? This may get confusing. So I apologize in advance. I am typing in a hurry cause I have to go walk he dog before it rains! lol
You could also get a "newer" style 200 lumen head take off that someone has replaced or upgraded from a E2. If you get a E2 head, you will need to run a 3.7 volt cell. I have found plenty heads here & check the bay. If you like that idea, post a WTB for E series 200 Lumen head. The Defender E series would work too. In fact any E series head would fit. Just make sure you get the correct voltage cell for that particular head. FWIW: I have run 3.7 volt cell batteries in a 3.0 volt led head and had it work fine.
Your light currently runs on a 3.0 volt cell. A "3.7" RCR charges up around 4.2 volts and will run a E2 led head. It can be confusing, cause some E2 heads will need a 3.7 volt cell. But if you find a 200 lumen head off a e1 you can run a 3.0 volt cell.
All that unless you are lucky enough to find one of the new 300 lumen 3.0 volt heads! That would be really cool.

This was a much better thread until Photobucket went batty. It could give you some ideas. Also search Surefire E series lego
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?234418-SureFire-E-Series-Addicts-Unite!

Last edited:

chainsolid

Newly Enlightened
Thank for all comments.
I read it difficult for me.
I found KX1 from Ebay, It good for E1L or Not.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I should have mentioned, I wasn't referring to those $20 bay ones are knock off SF. YMMV, but I got two of them to play with, they do work and would be much brighter than the stock 30 lumen head. I was referring to Genuine SF heads.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank for all comments.
I read it difficult for me.
I found KX1 from Ebay, It good for E1L or Not.
[/IMG]

Ooh i really hate these things and the keyword spamming scammers who sell them. You can't search ebay for ANY legit surefire part now without being flooded with thousands of these sf fakes, with sf part numbers and names all over them.

edit- hate is a strong word. Frustrated. But I see S.S. said he had good experience with them above, cheap enough, so can't be all bad... just so many ​of them.

Last edited:

chainsolid

Newly Enlightened
Thank for all
Last question if I use my E1L with KL1.
It possible to use RCR123 3.7 V 1 Cell.
Thank you

Last edited:

Latest posts