Emergency lights for technofobes / elderly

terjee

Enlightened
Hi all,

Before fall, I often start thinking about power outages and dark days. I check my supplies of batteries, order some more even though I have enough, and so on. I'm sure a lot of you can relate. Like many of you, I also start thinking about those around me, especially some older family members, and I get tempted to get them a light or two.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on good lights/solutions for the job, thoughts on requirements, power for them, and so on, as well as specific lights.

Not really a "one size fits all"-type of situation, but some things can probably be said initially.

Better with AA and AAAs than LiIons, better with a light that turns on to 30-50 lumens, than at 1000 lumens, and so on.

It's key that it's easy to change batteries, easy to use, and does the right thing by default. Don't turn on into a mode that burns through the batteries in an hour for example.

Since this is for emergency, a certain level of robustness, reliability and water tolerance would be good. Yeah, a HDS Rotary might be technically a good choice, but most won't be gifting those away. $10-50 is maybe a more probable range? Opinions welcome there as well.

Both flashlights and lanterns, and thoughts and requirements for either, is interesting.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The best emergency light for seniors category is one that changes constantly; lots of manufacturers have produced dead on perfect lights for this role, but only for a few months and then no more. Generally speaking, you want something with one mode/on-off simplicity, and uses common-sized store-shelf alkalines as they're ubiquitous.

A few years ago this site went wild when Home Depot offered the Defiant 3C 500 lumen light during the holidays - one mode regulated operation on big batteries for only $20 [which was then discontinued at the end of the holidays;] I got my elderly dad one and he hasn't needed any other light since, so I'm not sure what's available now.

Edit: I have no complaint with the current 2/3D standard LED Maglites; one regulated mode @ 168 lumens for 6-8 hours for ~$25 is a good enough deal.

Last edited:

blankc72

Newly Enlightened
It would be a lot more than $50 but how about a Malkoff 2 AA body with VME head and M31L or LL in whatever flavor you want. Single mode, reliable, and long run times.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing wrong with the Maglites in this type of situation. The AA work well in a pocket situation, while the 2C/2D lights might be easier to find in a drawer and be more what the user would be used to.

Some of the Streamlight Twin Tasks lights would also work. They offer two or three levels of brightness, a very easy to use UI, and use commonly available cells.

If these will be 'only in emergency' or occasional use lights, why not go whole hog. Make a wall plaque out of plywood or some such, with a rubber covered spring clip like those used to hold brooms or garden tools. Paint the plaque with a good Glow In The Dark paint so it will be easier to find if the power goes out suddenly. Make it a premium one by adding a little shelf with a Velcro strap to hold a second set of cells for longer use.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I have gifted elderly family members with the Fenix CL-20 which can attach to a refrigerator, NEBO's FlipIt, and the Nitecore Tube.

The Tube is especially neat on a lanyard-- I wear one to bed every night to avoid too bright of a light if I need to use the bathroom.

Comsider hanging an inexpensive AA light on a lanyard on the phone so if there is a power outage they know immediately where a flashlight is. I did that with my elderly father and I occasionally check the batteries.

A light for a pocketbook, handbag, and dashboard would be the Eagletac D25A or Nitecore's MT22A.

- LetThereBeLight!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Magliites here. Usually minimag triple a size. And ML25 twin packs.

I also give batteries with them and tell the gift-ee toss those Duracells or use 'em for stuff don't don't matter if they leak or not.

Sometimes Coast lights fit the bill or Lux-Pro.

Poppy

Flashaholic
In a power outage, there are other things to consider beyond light, such as HEAT.
That and other issues were discussed in the power outage thread.

I am a huge proponent of Auto-ON emergency lights. IMO, there should be one on every level of the house, including the basement, and any room, including the garage, that a person may find himself instantly stranded without any light. Actually I am not too concerned about the bedroom, because one is likely to be in bed at the time, and not as likely to get injured there as if he was standing on a chair in the kitchen getting something out of a top cabinet, when the lights go out.

I keep one plugged into an extension cord, and have it lying on top of the refrigerator. Another is on top of the entertainment unit in the living room, and another in the basement. They throw enough light so that one is not in sudden darkness, and allows one to find his way to where the other lights are stored, without tripping over furniture, or falling down the stairs.

They are inexpensive, about $10 each. Depending upon where it is situated, one light may supply light to two or three rooms.

In low drain situations, an alkaline D cell can perform as well as a LiIon 18650 battery in that they'll have similar capacities. The actual numbers, and comparisons can be found somewhere in the power outage thread. Three cell D lights at 100 lumens or less will run for a very long time. There are a multitude of lanterns that will do that. Unfortunately many of them also have 300 to 500 lumen settings that will burn through the batteries.

IF you want a decent, stick to the refrigerator, 3* AA light you might consider the Walmart brand "Hyper Tough" COB light.

Personally, I'd stay away from AAA lights, because the AAA battery has too little a capacity for extended use.

broadgage

Enlightened
If considering flashlights, I would consider LED maglights, simple to use, durable, sold everywhere, reasonably affordable. AA size for putting in the pocket, 2 or 3 D size for keeping in a drawer etc.Put L91 lithiums in the AA flashlights in order that they are always ready with almost no chance of leaks.Also consider a couple of self contained automatic emergency lights as used in public buildings. These are intended to be permanently connected to the line supply, and in case of power failure will light automatically for 90 minutes with no attention whatsoever.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Maglite is a great option.
I gifted a Thrunite Archer 1a in a similar situation. Benefits:
-AA
-Reasonable but sufficient brightness
-Durable, waterproof.
-Pocketable
-Mechanical switch, no parasitic drain
-NW
-Quite floody, suits a variety of tasks
-Reasonable price
-Tail stands
-Lanyard loop

Its really turned out to be perfect. I was worried that the side switch might be triggered accidentally causing confusion. This hasn't been the case.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
For this scenario, I favor the Streamlight Stylus Pro. It's a durable, single mode light with reasonable, but not blinding output and good battery life. They can be purchased for $20-$25 a piece.

terjee

Enlightened
Lots of good thoughts in the comment here. :)

I actually ordered a CL20 as I was making the post. Based on previous experience, I've found a lot of elderly really find that their "go to light" often becomes a light they can move around, and place/hang somewhere as they're working. More of a movable light source than a flashlight, and perceived easier than tailstanding.

The Streamlight Stylus Pro seems very interesting as an easy to use secondary light, which should also serve nicely with batteries from remote controls in a pinch. Couldn't help it and ordered one. If it comes in non-blister, I might have to compare it to the IYP365 before it's gifted.

Auto-on lights are also a very good point. I set those up a few years back, and I understand it's worked well. Upgraded to Eneloops before I set it up, buy probably time to check on them now as well, maybe swap the batteries.

I hadn't really noticed until now, but Maglites seem to be harder to find in Norway (Europe?) now.

wjv

Enlightened
You might want to take a look at the "What do you think of today's consumer-grade lights" thread in this sub-forum.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Maglite 3D LED single mode version has 80 hour run time and runs on common batteries. Another smaller option mini maglite pro or the maglite ml25lt. All around $20.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually ordered a CL20 as I was making the post. Based on previous experience, I've found a lot of elderly really find that their "go to light" often becomes a light they can move around, and place/hang somewhere as they're working. More of a movable light source than a flashlight, and perceived easier than tailstanding.
There are several Energizer Fusion lights that would be good for this. The ones I'm thinking of have a flat panel of polycarbonate edge light by several LEDs, and a pattern of holes drilled in the polycarbonate to reflect the light out into the room. They can stand quite easily by themselves, and are reasonably priced. I have the largest one, which uses four or eight AA cells for an extended run time and large area lighting capabilities. The others are smaller, but work on the same principle.

If you are planning to neck carry, the Microstream might be a better choice. It puts out half as many lumens, but since brightness is logarithmic, the actual difference will be less. Loaded with an L91 lithium AA, it should give about four hours of run time. Of course, if you use L91s in the Stylus Pro, you will get a better run time there as well.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several Energizer Fusion lights that would be good for this. The ones I'm thinking of have a flat panel of polycarbonate edge light by several LEDs, and a pattern of holes drilled in the polycarbonate to reflect the light out into the room. They can stand quite easily by themselves, and are reasonably priced. I have the largest one, which uses four or eight AA cells for an extended run time and large area lighting capabilities. The others are smaller, but work on the same principle.

If you are planning to neck carry, the Microstream might be a better choice. It puts out half as many lumens, but since brightness is logarithmic, the actual difference will be less. Loaded with an L91 lithium AA, it should give about four hours of run time. Of course, if you use L91s in the Stylus Pro, you will get a better run time there as well.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What is older to you? Are you talking about 85+ Years? I that case you need a flashlight that a real older person can turn on. My mother at 90+ had a hard time using a switch on a flashlight. I worked with with her re that. Small is not good. Simple is good. Many older people have arthritis in their hands,, and have difficulty turning any flashlight on.

Bill

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What is older to you? Are you talking about 85+ Years? I that case you need a flashlight that a real older person can turn on. My mother at 90+ had a hard time using a switch on a flashlight. I worked with with her re that. Small is not good. Simple is good. Many older people have arthritis in their hands,, and have difficulty turning any flashlight on.

Bill

That's why I gift pewter ML25's. Easy to spot in low light, easy to activate and the pocket sized minimag is plenty bright yet easy to figure out too.
May dad (in his 80's) prefered his giant head Energizer 2D in dark green. lol. He had one on his 12"x12" nightstand with a phone, answering machine and clock.
Everywhere he frequented in his house was one.
He threw away his Maglites saying "they make batteries leak... never had one leak in my Energizers"... come to think of it he was right.

He also had some yellow plastic Dorcy's in places like his car, the garage and his gun safe.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 AA Rayovac "Indestructible" is pretty hard to beat, it turns on to high mode, and takes another half press to get to battery saver (med), but other then that it's pretty good.
I've got a 90+year old friend who lives alone, gave her one and she keeps it as her emergency light on the hall table.
It's been a couple years and it's time to swap out the batteries but the difference between high and med is apparent, so the batteries still have some reserve, everything works fine, and she doesn't have any problem with the switch.
The size and weight seem to work for her, she's impressed with the brightness, and doesn't seem to care about color temperature.

Last edited: