Something like Anker Powercore Fusion but with 18650 cells?

das_blinkenlighten

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I was looking at the Anker Powercore Fusion USB charger/power bank ... (link) ... it's 5000mAh alleged capacity, but the selling point is that it includes a flip-out plug to charge from a wall socket while doing passthru charging for up to 2 ports. Or, it can be charged by microUSB. It's basically a tradeoff of size/capacity vs having a single device instead of a separate charger and powerbank.

That's a really great idea, but I'd like something with removable batteries. 18650s to be exact. I'm sort of laying the groundwork for an 18650 ecosystem for my devices so it would be really convenient.

I'm hoping that if such a thing exists, even in Chinese strange brand form, you all will know about it :D

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Have seen such Chinese ones, but their 18650 was not meant to be user replaceable (but you can replace them anyways).

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one called tomo I have the M3 it is decent for the price and reads pretty close to what my meter says. It needs a separate wall charger or mini usb from another source.
Chris

das_blinkenlighten

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I've seen those... I'm hoping for a combo unit with the charger built in but they seem rare enough *without* removable batteries, and nonexistent with removable batteries.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be wrong, but having a wall adapter and a power bank as a single unit is not the best idea. You are forced to carry both when you need only one; they heat each other during charge process. +5 characters again (please disable that requirement!)

das_blinkenlighten

Newly Enlightened
I may be wrong, but having a wall adapter and a power bank as a single unit is not the best idea. You are forced to carry both when you need only one; they heat each other during charge process. +5 characters again (please disable that requirement!)
It is a classic engineering tradeoff in which you get a product that is okay at two things instead of being great at one thing. A lot of people aren't interested in that, but some are, because it's more important to them to have the two things in one package. I personally want fewer items to carry/lose, so that is why I like the design of the Powercore Fusion despite the tradeoff in size/capacity. I just really want one that uses 18650s - while retaining the integrated charger and a chassis that doesn't come open easily. People have suggested a couple units here and elsewhere that have similar features but they're more straight-up 18650 chargers, rather than USB power banks that use 18650s for storage. So the batteries are right out in the open or behind a cover that comes off easily. My desire here is for a power bank that I can throw into a backpack.

I suspect we'll see a trickle of these arriving on the market over time, and I will wait for ones with removable cells. I think there is a big enough market niche that a couple companies will end up supplying it. My hunch is that Anker made this unit as a trial balloon to see if there was enough demand for them. But even if there isn't, there may be for a smaller company.

terjee

Enlightened
When do I need such a thing the most?
When I travel far.

When is it least likely to work?
When I travel far.

(Due to different plugs etc).

I fully support the idea of having an 18650 ecosystem, and it works really great for me.
Part of what makes it work really great though, is the individual cells. I don't want a charger I can charge my light with, I want to swap the cells, so I instantly have more power.

I can use the same cells in my Zebralights, to charge my phone (Nitecore F1), I can charge the cells from any USB-port (again the Nitecore F1). Need to tank up in a hurry? Nitecore SC2 will pump 2-3 amps safely into the cells, SC4 on the way.

Wondering if the cell is getting old? MC3000 will tell me if it is.

Got off a stinky habit using vapour, and the same batteries are good there too.

Headlight? Again with the same battery.

So what about travel? The chargers I have that are not USB-based, take a wide voltage range, and use standard cables. Not even adapter is needed, I'll just pick up a proper cable locally. 12V works with (I think) all of 18650 chargers, allowing for car-usage and lead acid backups, even solar.

Now, I do cheat a bit. If I'm comfortable traveling heavy, I'll also bring a 20Ah power bank that'll USB-C recharge (really fast), and I have a 5-port fast USB charger as well. Both are relatively lightweight, and allows me to charge fast, so I don't need extra downtime at hotel for charging etc.

Power banks also allows me to fetch power from airport charging stations, without having to leave my phone there, and without the virus risk.

There are downsides, there are protected and unprotected cells, flat- and button top, and some lights might require one or the other etc, so it's a bit to navigate, but worth it (IMHO!). Also requires careful handling of the cells, to not short them etc, but "battery condoms" makes it less of an effort.

Ordered a few smaller battery packs as well, might be nice enough when I don't want to lug the 20Ah packs.

Sorry for the long writeup. Major points with my setup vs. the fusion:

Lugging larger power solutions is a pain. Check out the size and weight of Anker 2-3000mAh banks and 5000mAh banks, against the fusion. Which would you prefer in your pocket?

If you need wall-charge, IMHO it's very nice to have more than one. A 5-port charger would let you charge phone, 2-4 18650s with Nitecore F1/F2, and two powerbanks. All at the same time, for not much more weight. It also allows for "charge one, use one", and you just have to carry the one.

Swappable cable and 12V options are also very useful.