I am curious.......ARC4+ cosmetic isue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosco

Newly Enlightened
I have got an ARC4+ second. As everybody else I started to think why it is designed to be "second". I have no tool to mesure the output and I think some comparisons with another flashlights are subjective.

I have noticed a piece of something like black glue exceding around the emitter. So I went to remove the lens to see it better. Took a picture and realised some dents on reflector as well. Do you think this might be the reason of the flashlight beeing "second"?

I am not going to send it back or sell it. I like it as is. Just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry for the picture. I was not able to focus my camera on the emitter. It focused on the edge of the light. Anyway, I was then able to see the dents (not visible without magnifying) at least.

ARC4_open_small_2.jpg

cosco

Newly Enlightened
I do not care of the dents. They are allmost invisible. What I am curios about is the black thing excessing from around the led. I would like to know if it is the only reason of putting this as second. I do not have lux metter and would like to know if my flashlight is full power/no higher battery drain. Just to be sure. None of this will change my like of my flashlight.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the black substance is epoxy used to pot the head. Early on, we noticed that some of the units leaked epoxy past the LED and into the reflector. Once the epoxy dried (very fast), it was impossible to remove so those units became a second. We have now developed a method to limit leaking so this should become more rare.

Even those these units usually make full power, etc, the presence of the epoxy is too much of a cosmetic issue in our opinion.

Peter

cosco

Newly Enlightened
Re: I am curious.......ARC4+ cosmetic issue

Peter,
I completely agree this is an example of cosmetic issue, because it does not affect the beam shape at all.
I am now glad to know the reason why it was called second, proved by you - the manufacturer. Thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am able to recognize my ARC4+ even without the serial number now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I am curious.......ARC4+ cosmetic issue

what peter just said, goes to prove all the hoopla about the withdrawal of the guanrantee on cosmetics is pointless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.