Fenix PD35 Tac

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if there are any pros/cons to using a protected 18650 battery in this light? Don't see any mention of it in the manual. At the moment the only 18650's I have are unprotected.
All I see in the manual is that the flashlight gives a low voltage warning, but it doesn't mention exactly what the warning is and if it's noticeable.

terjee

Enlightened
There's are four main reasons to use protected:
- Multiple cells (one could get dangerously discharged)
- If you don't trust the electronics
- If an unprotected is too short
- If you don't trust the light physically. A loose spring could short out an unprotected battery.

If you trust the light to keep you safe, using an otherwise safe unprotected battery isn't much of a concern.

Personally I'll often err on the side of caution, and use protected if the light only has low voltage warning for example.

I don't know your light specifically, but typical warnings are either step-down or blinking.

If the cells you have fit well, there should be no harm in testing out the light with them, but personally I'd order a few protected cells. Maybe search the forum to find some that are sure to fit well with the light.

terjee

Enlightened
Advantages of unprotected:
- Less parts
- Low voltage protection in the battery won't cut you off when you're in the middle of something
- Cheaper
- Often allows higher drain

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. This light used either 18650 or CR123's. I've got several CR123's so I'll probably use those initially but will pick up some protected 18650's at some point.