Are there any LED lights that take 18650 FLAT TOPS?

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for LED lights that use 18650 flat tops. I haven't been able to find any. Do they exist?

terjee

Enlightened
I've been looking for LED lights that use 18650 flat tops. I haven't been able to find any. Do they exist?

Yes, in fact some require it.

Other than flat top, what do you want from the light though?

A couple of quick mentions (that supports it):
- Zebralights
- Klarus XT-series (XT11S, XT11GT, XT12GT)
- Convoy S2+

Last edited:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Yes, in fact some require it.

Other than flat top, what do you want from the light though?

A couple of quick mentions (that supports it):
- Zebralights
- Klarus XT-series (XT11S, XT11GT, XT12GT)
- Convoy S2+

terjee,

You're everywhere.

I'm going to take a look at the lights you've mentioned.

terjee

Enlightened
terjee,

You're everywhere.

I'm Batman! That's why I need all the flashlights. :)

Hope you find what you're looking for. Also, there's a section called "Recommend me a flashlight...", which has a checklist of questions when asking for recommendations. Might be something to look at if you want some more specific recommendations. There's so many lights out there, so can be hard to know which is just right for you.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
One could add a variety of Malkoff devices, including the Hound Dog 18650. It accepts flat top cells. In fact, I prefer them in that application.

ven

Flashaholic
Which ever lights you look at, check from specs or pics there is a positive contact(usually a spring) at the head which will be fine with flat top cells. As long as there is a raised contact, flat tops should work.
Some lights have physical polarity protection, could be plastic around the positive contact. So only a button top would work on that particular light(button inside the physical protection).

These days many lights have low voltage warming, be it low mode, blinking etc etc. When a cell starts to get low and towards 3v(just an example). Turbo modes, maybe even medium will not be selected due to V being too low or too low under load. So there are plenty of warnings to tell us when to get the cell back on the charger.
There can be risks where a light is left on on a very low mode, this can take the cell right down (accidental activation in a bag maybe). So a good method if possible with a light is to lock out, simple 1/4 turn of the tail cap to break contact. Not only can it protect you from activation, but also the potential risk of parasitic drain.

fonfan

Enlightened
There is much more flashlights which run with flat top. Eagletac and Nitecore - not due hardware reverse polarity protection.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emisar D4 takes 18650 flat top (unprotected).

It's the best LED light on the market in its size and price range right now ($40). Truly a must-have for all flashaholics.

ven

Flashaholic
Go on +2, can not argue that one:cool:

If you do though, dont forget the all important accessories...............

;)