Spyware?!?!? What to do???

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, im freaking out a bit here--probably not a big deal.

i have norton's and zone alarm pro. my security settings are pretty high--i cant even access certain sites, and the avatars/gremlins dont even move. i get almost no popups and rarely ever get spam.

today i was surfing through some mountainbike sites, when a window popped up from ameritech stating that my computer is being tracked.

i called ameritech, and they stated that i probably picked up some spyware.

i do some online banking, so im pretty concerned.

what should i do? how do i get rid of spyware? heck, i dont mind paying for a good program...what do you folks suggest?
i run windows xp and internet explorer--which i like a lot. everything, including norton's and zone alarm are up to date.

many thanks,
Bob

PhilAlex

Enlightened
Ad aware, and Spybot are two good, Free programs.

PS: Those popups usually are just BS. But you should run spyware programs occassionally to give your system an enema once in a while.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately download Spybot Search & Destroy.
Update it's "definitions" and then run it.

It's awesome and will clean out everythig undesirable.
But, another possibility is that it was just a popup window. Some are pretty convincing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, i will be going to spybot and adaware asap.

i checked out this article http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,994109,00.asp

which states that spybot is a great product. it does state that it does not remove trojans and keyloggers.

i found the trojan "netbus1.7" listed on my norton's, but the keyloggers "netobserve" and "winwhatwhere" were not present.

i would assume that my firewall/antivirus would prevent me from getting these, but i have had to momentarily drop security to access specific sites--so maybe something got in.

regardless, if spybot will not find the keyloggers, how can i check to see if i have them???

HUGE thanks, people!

Bob

Bill.H

Enlightened
Keep your NAV up to date, and run spybot AND Ad-Aware both.

In some informal testing, I saw each pick up something the other missed.

Spybot link is above, adaware is from lavasoft.de.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
So long as you are able to identify the trojans running in your system, look them up in McAfee's virus information library. You can find details of the file/registry changes made by such malware, so you can confirm whether you have been infected, and possibly how to remove the changed files or keys.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh, i meant that my norton's has the definitions, not that i have the trojan (therefore i should not be protected, not infected).

hey...im a poet!

Bob

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of sites that will be very helpful to anyone re spyware, trojans, etc.

I believe it will take a special program to be sure to get all trojans.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

http://www.hazeleger.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=;action=login2

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?s=2c50fb4ca2efa87283fd0bcca1c18c53&

http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

Here is a site where you can test your computer for vulnerability to trojans, hackers, etc.
http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Jerry

stockwiz

Enlightened
I wouldn't worry about it if you use ad aware and find nothing... lots of scams out there meant to scare people into buying their products. One of the more well known scammers are the people attempting to sell the program "evidence eliminator" .. and I know full well the garbage they do to try and scare people into buying this overpriced garbage. Whatever you do, don't spend money on unnecessary software. What you have combined with ad aware and spybot is fine.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a pop-up window telling you that your being watched or your system is not secure, it's simply a marketing gimic. They are trying to get you to buy their software. I would never buy software from any company that used such marketing practices, it's very un-ethical.

I hate those things, they play on peoples fears and ignorance (no offense intended) of such things.

They claim you are being watched. Well, in a sense you are, but we all are. Your IP address is recorded by many sites you visit, your ISP probably has it in their records of where their customers went but chances are they don't do much with that information if anything at all. Heck, cookies on your computer are used for tracking. All common practices.

The reality is this. At any given moment there are millions upon millions upon millions of people all surfing the Internet at the same time. Those who take the normal precautions are fairly safe ...... anti-virus, firewall, and spyware software, keep your operating system updated with the latest security patches, do not themselves engage in nefarious Internet activity, stay away from downloading software from unknown sources, there are more things not to do but those are the basics.

Mike

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bob,

Spybot and Adaware are very good products.

I have also had good luck with Webroots Window Washer. I seem to remeber a free 30 day trial with somewhere around a $30 cost after that. I ran both Spybot and Adaware after Window Washer and they were unable to do any more.

Tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, i just got spybot.

i have the list of threats, and the first group are no-brainers: security holes, etc.

however, there are several that i am unsure about: MS works, and windows media player.

it states if i delete the ms works one, i may lose the outlook express spellchecker. should i still delete this?

should i delete the windows media player ones as well? any problems i should be aware of?

Bob

next up--adaware.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you update the program before scanning your system? If not, go get the updates and re-scan.

You can leave the ms works and windows media player "threats". However, Spybot has a "go back" feature that you will want to check out. .... if, after you have removed "threats" and you run into problems it allows you put those items back.

Mike

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, i updated before doing the first scan.

i may try removing the msworks and windows media player...and "going back" if needed.

just ran the adaware, it was pretty easy as well.

thanks!

Bob

shabbasuraj

Newly Enlightened
to the original poster...

use OS X...heheh...(as a Mac user, I always find myself laughing at M$ related problems..)

no seriously though, hopefully you get control of your computer again..

guncollector

Enlightened
I've been using Ad-aware 6.0 (from Lavasoft) for a few months now. Works great, definitions frequently updated and free to download, hey, no complaints.

Seems that damn spyware has many origins, from all those "freeware" programs you download, to regular OEM software.

Just run your anit-spyware program once a week, and you'll be ok.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Additionally go here: http://javacoolsoftware.com and get yourself Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster. The former keeps most known spyware out of your system much in the same way antivirus programs do with virii, and the latter stops MSIE drive-by downloads and hijacks. But if you don`t use MSIE you won`t need that one.

They`re free too.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif