Recommendations on a single AA flashlight for EDC

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for the "perfect" single AA flashlight for EDC. My work provides AA batteries so I would prefer to use them. I do have an 18650 light which I like but it's a little bigger than I want to carry all the time. If I was to design a light here is what I want.

Thin and not terribly long. Thin is more important than length.
Prefer about 3 modes that are easily accessible. Roughly .5-1 lumen, 40-75 lumen, 200-400 lumen
I'd really like direct access to all 3 modes.
I don't care about 14500 compatibility.
Must have a pocket clip and I prefer deep carry.

The closest thing I've owned to "perfect" is a klarus Mi7. That light nailed the size and I liked the brightness levels pretty well. However, I didn't like the interface (always comes on in high and you have to cycle through to get medium), the clip kept popping off until I finally lost it and the button kept getting pushed while in my pocket.

I'm strongly considering a Zebralight SC53C. It seems to nail most of my wants but it looks a little fat compared to the Klarus.

What do you say? Is there a better option for my needs or should I pull the trigger on the Zebralight?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Your thread will probably move to the "Recommend" forum soon, but what is your budget ?

Maybe the Malkoff MDC 1AA ?

Last edited:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Have you looked at the EagleTac D25A Clicky?
I love my D25C nearly as much as my HDS EDC.
May not be quite as bright as you'd like on a single AA, but 400L is asking an awful lot.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
Another fan of the Malkoff MDC here. Not the smallest, cheapest, or brightest- but extremely well built, and very functional, with simple well thought out operation. I have the 123 version and love it. Worth every penny, and I prefer it to some lights costing a lot more. Good value for a great light.

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
I did look at the eagletac d25a and the sequence of turning it on is holding me back. The looks and size are fantastic but I don't like not having immediate access to the medium mode. Never having used it I could be wrong but it just seems a bit clunky. That size and shape with the zebra light interface is really what I want. The Malkoff MDC looks very nice but it looks about the size of my 18650 light. I want something smaller. 400L isn't required. I want something at least in the 200 range and more is better.

Keitho

Enlightened
If bezel diameter is a concern, and you like the Zebralight quality and UI (I'm a fan myself), you might consider the H53c headlamp, if you think the 90 degree angle might work. The H53c is 0.11" fatter than your old Mi7, and quite a bit shorter. I keep trying to justify the SC53c to myself, but my wallet has been keeping me awake at night with its constant sobbing...

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I have the SC52W and I really like it. You can check on Etsy for a deeper pocket clip. Got mine from popsclips

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prefer about 3 modes that are easily accessible. Roughly .5-1 lumen, 40-75 lumen, 200-400 lumen...
should I pull the trigger on the Zebralight?
Yes,
Zebras are the only light I can think of that can be configured to give those modes

I vote SC53c because I prioritize High CRI and I like 4000k Color Temperature

however, IF you use your light during the day, and you are in and out of sunlight between uses of your flashlight, 4000k Color Temperature is not a good match and there are no Cool White SC53 models, yet..

There are Low CRI Zebra SC5F or SC5 OP options that are Cool White. However, I would not pick an SC5, they are FAT
peruse this list of Zebra features

btw, the free batteries you get at work will probably NOT get the best runtime out of an SC53, especially not at 200+ lumens, SC5 and SC53 are really at their best with Eneloops

look here, the runtime on high with duracel is 5 minutes!
selfbuilt said:

same light with Eneloop Pro on Hi gives 44!!! minutes
selfbuilt said:

cyclesport

Enlightened
The Manker E11 is another contender @ 19mm width X 82mm long, it is quite small and thin for a electronic side switch light. It has 4 modes w/direct access to low, and your choice of any other mode using memory + flashing modes with a quick double click. It comes in cool and and warm (actually less cool at 5300K) tints, and is actually pretty accurate, and very bright at 400 lumens using a NiMH AA, and rated at 800 L with a unprotected Li-ion 14500/IMR (protected 14500's are too long to fit). Kind of a budget ZL at approx 1/2 the price of a ZL SC52/53.

I own a couple of these and although ZL's are still my favorite lights in this category...the E11 is a well designed light and gets a lot of carry time. I've given a couple of these away and people seem to love em'.

murrydan

Newly Enlightened
Peak El Capitan? Doesn't have 3 modes, but it infinitely variable… and you can add an aftermarket pocket clip.

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
I posted this on another thread and then thought I should update this one. Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

I just got a sc53c a couple days ago. It's my first zebralight and I am very impressed. The light feels smaller than I expected. The quality and interface are great. I can see why so many people love zebralight. It makes a lot of sense that they have one interface that works well and they stick with it. (Yes, the new ones have additional options but the basic programming is still the same)

The color of the beam is taking a little getting used to. It doesn't seem as bright but you can still see what you are looking at very well. Seems to have less light bounce back. Colors definitely do show up better than my cool white lights. As I use it more the color is growing on me.

steeps

Newly Enlightened
I've had the same experience as you with my first Zebralight, H53c.

sonnix

Newly Enlightened
+ 1 for the d25a, my most edc'd light. The pocket clip is deep and sturdy. It does not easily turn on because its a tail switch. Also have the klarus mi7 love it too but also lost the clip now its just on my desk.