I leave for a few months and there are 10k+ lumen brighter lights on the market?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw this today http://www.acebeam.com/x80 and my mind is kind of being blown. Is it a combination of new battery tech and even newer XHP50.2 emitters allowing a light to put out over 20k lumens even just for a minute?

Seems like just a few months ago that 9k lumen light from Olight was the new king of the block. What is going on to allow 4 - 18650 lights to make these insanely huge leaps and bounds in seemingly months. Would a light like this have been possible with say 12 XM-L2 emitters and 4 18650's, but nobody ever made the light? What other circuitry/electronic wizardry is going on here?

Needless to say... I wish I could have one lol. I'm giggling that the "low" is 800 lumens for 8.5 hours. This tech marriage between insane emitters and insanely talented electronic flashlight makers marches on.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Is it a combination of new battery tech and even newer XHP50.2 emitters allowing a light to put out over 20k lumens even just for a minute? ...

... ...
It is the quantity of emitters, and the type of emitters. That allows the flashlight to release most of the power of the fuel supply in the shortest time. With this item, you can choose a middle mode and have medium power and medium runtime. But, the light allows you to choose a very high mode that is able to release most all of the power of the fuel supply in a brief blaze of glory, if you want to.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well sure. My point was that we haven't seen lights like this for years even with 4-emitter lights with 4 18650s. In a VERY short time we went from 2-4 thousand being the absolute max from a light maker to 9 thousand and now over 20 thousand. The emitters are obviously making huge leaps and bounds and so are high drain 18650s, but the light manufacturers are also becoming insanely good at driving huge emitter banks with relatively few cells to get output like that.

If you're not insanely impressed by these achievements you should be. Of course a small light like this isn't going to hold the output at that level long, but this light: http://goinggear.com/foursevens-maelstrom-xm18-18000-lumen-cree-xm-l2-led-spotlight.html

couldn't even do that output with 18 XM-L (and then XM-L2) emitters. Obviously that light had integrated cooling and a LOT more battery capacity so it could maintain the high output it had longer, but still it blows my mind that we're seeing coke-can sized lights quickly overtake a monstrosity of a light like that in years.