Olight PL-2 Valkyrie weapon light measurements (2xCR123A/16340, XHP35 HI)

maukka

Enlightened
Note: this is not a review, since I didn't use or stress tested the PL-2 as a weapon light

Disclaimer: The Olight PL-2 pistol light was provided for testing by the manufacturer free of charge

NvG2Z7L.jpg

The Olight PL-2 Valkyrie weapon light uses an interesting combination of a domeless XHP35 HI emitter and TIR lens. The result is a distinctive large hotspot with great throw for the size.

Manufacturer's specifications
Batteries: 2xCR123A lithium or 2x16340/RCR123A rechargeable in series
LED: Cree XHP35 HI in cool white
Waterproof: IPX6
Mode memory: no (only one mode plus strobe available)
Low voltage protection: no
Thermal regulation: no, hard stepdown at 1.5 minutes

Output specs
Maximum output: 1200 lumens for 1.5 minutes + 600 lumens for 1h 10m
Other output levels: none
Light intensity: 13800 candela
Beam distance: 235 m

Measured dimensions and weight
Length: 83.2mm
Head width: 27mm
Body width: 36.6mm
Body height: 30.7mm
Weight: 84g light only + 35g for 2x16340

Bundled in the box with the light:
Two Olight 1600mAh CR123A batteries
1913 rail mount
T6/T8 wrench
User manual

The two lithium primaries or rechargeables are installed in series. The battery compartment will not accept long protected cells, such as Keeppowers. It was a very tight fit to install two Olight RCR123A's for the runtime tests.

TiQ6Wy4.jpg

MS07Mak.jpg

Unprotected flat top batteries need magnets or solder blobs to work. Most protected 16340's will not fit. Lithium primaries (CR123A) offer the longest runtimes.

DGWzuCc.jpg

73eX9GN.jpg

vw3nWCM.jpg

User interface

The light is operated via the two switches in the rear. They function identically, but strobe is activated by pressing on both of them at the same time. Single click turns the light on and off. Press and hold is for momentary. There's only one brightness mode.

imlLotX.jpg

Beam, tint and color rendering

ylLlO87.jpg

LNnxZRk.png

Tint in different parts of the beam

The PL-2 is compared to other ~1000 lumen lights. The hotspot is very large and well defined. There is definitely some spill to illuminate the immediate surroundings though, but it is much more dim than on the other TIR lights such as the Olight S2R (XM-L2) and Armytek Prime C2 Pro (XHP35 HD).

White wall

xH9h3VB.gif

5uluxTN.gif

Links to individual images: PL-2, S2R, SC600w Mk3 HI, Prime C2 Pro, S2+

White wall from afar

8jop87Y.gif

iThZyZ4.gif

Woods

pkwfc4d.gif

q2Xrhsh.gif

Peripheral light

t2v1K82.gif

0Hz1DJe.gif

Spectral data and color rendering

For spectral information and CRI calculations I use an X-rite i1Pro spectrophotometer with HCFR, Babelcolor CT&A and ArgyllCMS spotread for the graphs and data. For runtime tests I use spotread with a custom script and an i1Display Pro because it doesn't require calibration every 30 minutes like the i1Pro.

Explanation of abbreviations (click link to read more)

CCT = correlated color temperature, higher temperature means cooler (bluish)
CRI (Ra) = color rendering index consisting of 8 different colors (R1-R8), max value 100
CRI (R9) = color rendering index with deep red, usually difficult for led based light sources, max value 100
TLCI = television lighting consistency index, max value 100
CQS (Qa) = Proposed replacement for CRI, RMS average of 15 color samples
CRI2012 (Ra,2012) = Another proposed replacement for CRI, consists of 17 color samples
MCRI = Color rendering index based on the memory of colors or 9 familiar objects
NEW Read more about the IES TM-30-15 method here (link is external)
TM-30 = The newest color rendering method using 99 samples. Preferred for comparing LEDs.
TM-30 (Rf) = Accuracy of colors, fidelity index. Replaces CRI(Ra).
TM-30 (Rg) = Gamut of colors, saturation index. Higher number means more saturated colors.
Tint dev. ("Duv" in the CTA screenshots) is the tint's distance to the black body radiator line in the CIE graphs. The higher the number, the greener the tint. 0,0000 means absolutely neutral white and negative numbers mean rosy/magenta tint. Anything over 0,0100 can be described as visibly green.

If you have an hour to spare, I recommend watching this presentation on IES TM-30-15 which also shines light into color rendering in general.

qsTkVV6.png

ShnCx40.png

Output and runtimes

The output matches Olight's numbers perfectly, except that mine steps down to 490 lumens, not 600. Fan cooling doesn't affect the step down level or timing. The light always drops in output at 1.5 minutes. All the lumen measurements have been done with a new sphere, so they cannot be compared to my previous reviews.

mw58RDE.png

QIRmHz5.png

PWM

There's no PWM, but the circuit noise has a significant amplitude. Because of the very high frequency of 256kHz it is invisible to the eye. I couldn't get it to show on an electronic shutter camera either.

jOS3JpK.png

The flicker on strobe is more evident and slower in frequency, but who cares about that... You'll be more disoriented by the 13Hz strobe than the noise within it.

VRO5lFe.png

Temperature
The light drops down in output after 1.5 minutes to prevent overheating. However, the light will heat up to very high temperature if you reset the output by switching the light off and on again.

yGRb2jY.png

Verdict

I could definitely see a light with the same emitter + optics configuration in a typical flashlight with modes and temperature regulation. Seeing a large evenly lit hotspot at a distance feels very special and still the efficiency is good at over 100 lumens per watt. Maybe with a bit more mass for higher sustained output and throw... with a neutral white option... mmm. I could totally get into that.

+ Clean, bright and large hotspot is easy to aim and will surely dazzle an opponent
+ Very simple to use with good tactile feel to the switches
+ Even tint
+ Exceptional build quality
- No thermal regulation (hard timed stepdown)
- Limited space for protected lithium ions (most will not fit)