HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best flashlight brands ?

Unenlightened

Default Best flashlight brands ?

Howdy,

Whilst new to CPF, I am not new to LED torches but so that I can catch-up real quick as a new member to this forum, would you allow me to as for a Top 10 List of LED torches please?

I am inpatient and I screened through the threads but saw no obvious 'Lists'. I would like to know if there is a forum consensus before I tottle off to Doctor Google and seek out some biased reviews.

Cheers,

The Don
    (call me Don)

Default Re: Best flashlight brands ?

Welcome to CPF! Production? Custom? Battery format? Budget? I suggest perusing the "Recommend me a Light" subforum for needs that mirror your own. "Best" lists are often fraught with strong opinions and feelings, I'll be checking back in frequently...
    Last edited by scout24; 08-21-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Flashaholic*

The only thing that matters is the service and support after the sale.

Surefire yes
    Streamlight yes
    Zebralight yes

All others i don't know.

U'm afraid you need to be more specific Don.
    Best at what? Reliability, throw, flood, runtime, portability, number of modes, programability and on and on and on.......
    There's lots of lists on here for each of those virtues, you only have to look.
    P

Yes, please narrow down the criteria and we will happily rattle off a long list.

Cheers.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I suggest you throw a budget out there if you have one. If no budget, I can make it a $25k list really quickly!

Also, what is your definition of "Brand". Production, Semi-Custom, Custom?? Know what I mean?
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

I will play, here are a few for you
    HDS
    McGizmo(various models)
    Elzetta
    Oveready(latest BOSS)
    Okluma
    Muyshondt
    Hanko(have to get lucky here)

Chinese options
    Fenix
    Olight
    Acebeam

Subjective of course
    Will leave it there, will let others suggest some

There's a reason there is no '10 best' and that is the quarrels that end up taking place due to personal preferences becoming something people won't, can't or just don't agree on.

One thing is certain though... Zebralight and Malkoff get thumbs up from members here probably more than any other brands.
    John 3:16

Agree.. So true

Malkoff and Zebralight are the best

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    There's a reason there is no '10 best' and that is the quarrels that end up taking place due to personal preferences becoming something people won't, can't or just don't agree on.
    This. The idea of "best brands" is simply way too subjective for a whole community to come up with a conclusive answer. What makes the 10th better than the 11th? 12th? Way too many variables.

Thats easy, the best flashlight is the one with you in time of need.................regardless of brand

Me , i like them all in different ways, be it UI, size,beam etc etc.

All completely subjective, no best, just what is best for the user If an iphone light saves your life.............its the best light in the world!

Flashaholic

It's a question with a thousand answers.
    Personnally, I only use in edc :

Oveready (BOSS, moddoolar and drop in)
    Tana customs (drop in)
    Pflexpro (drop in)
    HDS

And a modded thunite tn31 by 3tronics when I need a little more throw.
    Last edited by Croquette; 08-22-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    This. The idea of "best brands" is simply way too subjective for a whole community to come up with a conclusive answer. What makes the 10th better than the 11th? 12th? Way too many variables.
    This.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

1) turns on when you need it.
    2) turns on when you want it to.
    3) allows depleted cells to be swapped.
    4) puts out light in darkness.
    5) doesn't break if you drop it from waist high.
    6) available at stores or online in case you lose yours.
    7) can be obtained by trading money for it.
    8) arrives already assembled.
    9) made somewhere on planet earth
    10) somebody fill this one in please...
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

10) doesn't cause random fires

There are plenty of quality vendors these days. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Klarus and EagleTac.

In the budget end end of the market - Convoy, Thorfire, and Zanflare are good quality and value for money lights.

The OP probably needs to state his requirements and budget for more useful advice.

Flashaholic

I'll make an assumption here, and say The_Don would like to know which brands those who are very experienced in the ways of mobile illumination like to give or money to. As others have stated, this is a very subjective thing. In my limited experience, Surefire offers a wide variety of quality lights, for a wide variety of prices. I think First Light USA is an underrated brand, and not as widely known as it ought to be. Fortunately, it does get some love from some parts of the US military community. Malkoff makes fantastic lights, and components. I've had good luck with Streamlight and Fenix, as well. I've even had positive experience with Maglite. I haven't personally owned a light from HDS or Elzetta, but I've held them in my hands, and they possess unquestionable quality. I'm sure anyone would find a light that would fit their needs and budget from one of these brands.

If you don't mind, please list your reasons that Malkoff and Zebralight are the best.
    From limited experience, the fact that Olight does not have to be shipped back to china should something go wrong, is a very good thing.

When you get to the bottom line, ,,,,,DO all components come from china ( or overseas) ???? or are some made in good ole USA?

Flashaholic

Post numbers 14 & 15 are right on.....
    I'm sure the expensive lights are great but if you can't afford it.... What good is it?
    To me the good old Maglite is one of the best brands. But so are the other 12 brands I own (I have only 1 Surefire).

Lateck,

The OP hasn't logged back in since the morning he posted this thread... Not sure he liked our answers!

Is anyone familiar with the SOG dark energy lights they seem pricey for the stated specs anybody have experience or opinions on them ?

yes I wish the OP would give some specifics. Beyond the "fun with flashlights" thing... there is a serious side to this. I am in need of flashlight for hurricanes and other issues. I have 4 small Olights, but nothing in the realm of a X7 etc. After reading and reading and reading... I have narrowed it down to the Acebeam X45 or the X7. I like the X7R, but not being able to swap out the batteries in addition to the leaky charge port takes it off the list for ultimate survival tool.

Question : Drop forged steel drops the X7 from 50 ft and freezes it etc. Does any one know if the Acebeam X45 is almost as durable?

Flashaholic*

fenix does not belong anywhere near the word best. They copy everybody design and produce cheap lights that break. The only fenix light that ever worked is the e01 and even that works because is a ripoff design of the Arc AAA.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    1) turns on when you need it.
    2) turns on when you want it to.
    3) allows depleted cells to be swapped.
    4) puts out light in darkness.
    5) doesn't break if you drop it from waist high.
    6) available at stores or online in case you lose yours.
    7) can be obtained by trading money for it.
    8) arrives already assembled.
    9) made somewhere on planet earth
    10) somebody fill this one in please...
    You pretty much describing Surefire

Yeah, except #2
    SF turns OFF when you want it to also.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
    fenix does not belong anywhere near the word best. They copy everybody design and produce cheap lights that break. The only fenix light that ever worked is the e01 and even that works because is a ripoff design of the Arc AAA.
    Ahhhhh man, that was my favorite brand . My favorite brands are the really good Chinese ones..........best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    The OP hasn't logged back in since the morning he posted this thread... Not sure he liked our answers!
    I see that a lot on CPF these days which pretty much discourages me from answering questions from new beginners.

One of the best and legendary brands is

JETBeam

( Or was. 😋 )

Thumbs up Re: Best flashlight brands ?

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Yeah, except #2
    SF turns OFF when you want it to also.
    P
    Olight likewise !

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    U'm afraid you need to be more specific Don.
    Best at what? Reliability, throw, flood, runtime, portability, number of modes, programability and on and on and on.......
    There's lots of lists on here for each of those virtues, you only have to look.
    P
    Peter... SINCE I am retired and have lots of time to pursue any interest, & after giving this much thought and reading for weeks on end & my EXPERIENCE WITH OLIGHT... this is my conclusion.

There are a number manufacturers of Flashlights that build numerous models that could fill most of the parameters you speak of. I think the OP wants to know from which manufactures one could buy any manner of iteration of LED Handheld light emitting that are safe, have good warranty, usable performance envelope..indeed most of the qualities that make for trusted tool.
    While it is true there is no perfect light, it is also true that more than 1 or 2 manufacturers make very very good units. It is not easy to find a light that offers all possible performance. Yet today late summer of 2017, there a many good choices. I think it would be easier to list the manufactures that one should steer clear of.

IMHO, Olight ticks off most of the boxes on the pro side of why and what to buy.
    For me the top of the list of important qualities is warranty and ease of getting repairs. I was able to actually talk to SEAN at Olight, and he told me that when lights are sent to the Georgia store location the turn around is in a few days. Olight is the only manufacture i know of that one can talk to a human and get info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast