Bright 5mm white LEDs

LightHearted

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the 5mm White - 12000mcd LEDs at LS Diodes.com are any brighter and/or whiter than the stock Nichia(?) LED in my Dorcy AAA? I'm also interested in some of those ISP 5mm LEDs as well. Anyone compare them to the Nichias? Just thought I'd check here before I placed an order.

Thanks,
Ken

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KLM said:
Does anyone know if the 5mm White - 12000mcd LEDs at LS Diodes.com are any brighter and/or whiter than the stock Nichia(?) LED in my Dorcy AAA? I'm also interested in some of those ISP 5mm LEDs as well. Anyone compare them to the Nichias? Just thought I'd check here before I placed an order.

Thanks,
Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

I used and compared 12000mcd lsdiodes and ISP 5mm to Nichia against Nichia 5mm.

I didn't measure the light output (I don't have one to measure acurately) but based on the eyeball measurement when connected to the same power source (Arc-AAA board with 1.5V battery).

Here is my observation.

1) The datasheet of lsdiode 12000mcd says max 12000mcd and typical 8000mcd. (I feel a little cheated because other manufacturers seem to quote the typ value.)

But they are actually brighter than Nichia, and more bluish (or puplish) than B2S used by AAA-S. Though brighter when compared side by side, you won't notice any advantage when you carry a light using the led.

2) ISP 5mm is much warmer and whiter than Nichia without mixture of bluish or brownish spot), it is closer to the greenish color. It has typical 8000mcd output to 20 degree viewing angle.

The output is a lot more intense than Nichia or lsdiodes on the center of the hotspot, and also gives better throw.

I made an Arc-AAA header using ISP 5mm and used it as my edc till I made Arc-AA with ISP 8mm white.

-- DJP

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed with DJPark, I replaced the led in one of my $1 pocket lights from countycomm, and its much more intense and hence brighter.