Arc AAA or LE?

FlameOn

Enlightened
Okay, I need to pick one up per everyone here....apparantly they will be available soon...now, do I need to spend the extrra 10 for the LE? What am I really getting for the money besides a hand picked LED? Will a novice like myself really be able to tell the difference in the two? thanks

paulr

Flashaholic
The LE on average has a warmer color to the beam. For functional purposes it doesn't really matter. I'd just get the standard version.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of each today, an ARC AAA standard, and premium. I have been carrying a standard ARC AAA for quite awhile on my keychain. My old standard and the new one are both fine IMO, but they both look a little blue compared to the premium. In over a year of using a standard, I never really thought it was bluish, until I compared it side-by-side with a premium. The standard looks just fine to me though, and I intend to keep mine on my keychain.

-Keith

FlameOn

Enlightened
I did some research on these and found the turqoise are rated brighter than the white so I ordered one....I was getting bored with white LEDs anyway...hope I like it...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both standard and premium.

The difference in beam is small. I'd just get the standard and save the extra cash. I don't consider the premium worth the extra price...its slightly a better beam but not by enough to justify the price increase, IMHO.

paulr

Flashaholic
The turqoise is a bit brighter than the white, but the beam is less smooth, and of course it's turquoise so you can't tell colors apart with it. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on BST.

Note there may be a shortage of all Arc AA and AAA models right now, because of an electronic problem that Peter is trying to chase down. Basically a small percentage of units occasionally fail to light when you turn them on (if that happens to yours, just turn it off and try again), so Peter is holding back shipments til this issue is solved.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a turquoise. It was definitely brighter, but less useful due to the color. I could not read some print at the same distance as with the white.

Jerry

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a bit of a gamble. Sometimes you'll get a Premium that's much better than the average Standard; other times the difference is barely noticeable. However, on average the Premium will have a beam with a warmer and more pleasing tint.

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
asdalton said:
It's a bit of a gamble. Sometimes you'll get a Premium that's much better than the average Standard; other times the difference is barely noticeable. However, on average the Premium will have a beam with a warmer and more pleasing tint.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far I have only on AAA-P, but bought many AAA-S and given away.

I can't really say about the AAA-P from just one usit I own, but the tint is warmer (more whiter area on the corona) and gives very nice beam from the reflector.

From many AAA-S gone through my hand, I find that some are as white (warm) as AAA-P while some are noticeably bluer. But all of them are brighter than AAA-P I have (either I have din AAA-P or good AAA-S).

Another thing I noticed is the position of led in the reflector are different and all the AAA-S gave different beam patterns -- some wider and some narrower.

As long as you are not going to look at the beam and admire how beatiful it is, I would say go for the AAA-S and save money.

-- DJP