Low Lumens Drop In

Tribull

Enlightened
Hi, besides The M31lll 219, does anyone one know of a p6 or P9 drop in that is low like 15 lumens or less? Google didn't turn up anything.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I use a bipin adapter to run this yellow 5mm LED ... probably makes 3 - 5 lumens or so, but you could swap in a white emitter easily

UdqCn7G.jpg

Also, are you interested in single mode only ? If multi-mode is ok, I'm sure there are many options available with a lowest mode under 15 lm (although most might have PWM)

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your host? The M31 is for a single CR123 or Li-Ion cell only. Otherwise you have to step up to the M6 series. You might want to contact Mountain Electronics. I think he still does a few custom builds now and them. Otherwise he has a nice P60 drop in, the CUXM/CUXP, with your choice of Cree or Nichia emitter, and several mode options.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a bipin adapter to run this yellow 5mm LED ... probably makes 3 - 5 lumens or so, but you could swap in a white emitter easily

Perfect application for one of the Yuji high CRI LED's if you can find them (it's unfortunate none of the small quantity retailers like Mountain Electronics or Sparkfun has started selling them). I think Matumba or somebody used one of those adapters to do the same.

alangloi

Newly Enlightened
What is your host? The M31 is for a single CR123 or Li-Ion cell only. Otherwise you have to step up to the M6 series. You might want to contact Mountain Electronics. I think he still does a few custom builds now and them. Otherwise he has a nice P60 drop in, the CUXM/CUXP, with your choice of Cree or Nichia emitter, and several mode options.

Actually the M31L/LL/LLL drop-ins runs nicely (but "out of regulation") on a single AA; or used with a double AA (with G3's). I have a number of G2's/Z2's/C2's running on a single AA (generally NiMH (I like Eneloops)). Battery sleeves can be had at Oveready.

I use my G3 with 2 AA's nightly when I take my pug out in my backyard prior to turning in. I use it to scan the yard for unwanted 4 legged visitors armadillos/cats/snakes/gators ...)

alangloi

Newly Enlightened

The M31 series is pretty versatile. I had some spare parts so I put together tonight a Surefire 6p, with a M31 drop-in, with a single NiMH AA battery (battery sleeve from Oveready). I had to wrap a bit of foil around the drop-in, but that is not unusual with the 6P. Otherwise it works nicely. Don't know the run-time, but if it gives me a hour of light I will be happy. Could be more light than what you want. Otherwise I'll put the M31 into a G3 with 2 AA's.

p.s. I usually buy and use either the M31L or the M31LL drop-in; or if available the M31LLL.
p.p.s. On second thought the M31 might be too warm for the G3 unless I replace the standard G3 head with a black metal one.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected. The website explicitly says that for the M31 for Surefire 3P a single Li-Ion cell is verbotten, and will let the magic blue smoke out. On the other hand for the other M31 permutations, a single Li-Ion is OK. From the website:

The input voltage is 3.4-6 volts. Below 3.4 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive.
[Emphasis is not mine - that's the way it pasted.]

I also had forgotten that some of us use AA cells with their Malkoffs.

Edit:
Please see later posts for the correct information. Sorry

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
@Timothybil your statement above is incorrect.

The M361 is not an "M31" series or variant.

All M31 series risk being destroyed by 3.7V- 4.2V :caution:

That also differs from the "M30" series.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm late to the party, but how does one run a 2-cell C/P/Z/G series SF on a single AA cell? I understand 2XAA in a 3-cell SF, but 1xAA in a 2-cell? Could someone please explain? Thank you!

alangloi

Newly Enlightened
I know I'm late to the party, but how does one run a 2-cell C/P/Z/G series SF on a single AA cell? I understand 2XAA in a 3-cell SF, but 1xAA in a 2-cell? Could someone please explain? Thank you!

In the past, you could get a single sleeve & spacer to convert from a 2 cell CR123A body to one that uses a single AA from Oveready. They are no longer being made. Now you have to get a separate spacer and a sleeve (from OR) to do what the single sleeve/spacer did.

I generally use Malkoff's LL or LLL drop-ins. But I do have one M61NLLLL!

I try to stay with AA's format as they are sold everywhere. In the event of a long power outage I'll use the primary AA's as needed and toss them when they are drained or after the power comes back on. I don't keep/store primary AA's in my flashlights. (They have a history of leaking.) (For normal day to day usage I use NiMH AA's.)

Regulation or no regulation, as long as it gives me light for a reasonable amount of time, that is good enough for me.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Timothybil your statement above is incorrect.

The M361 is not an "M31" series or variant.

All M31 series risk being destroyed by 3.7V- 4.2V :caution:

That also differs from the "M30" series.
Again I stand corrected. I always thought that any M3* light was three volt, and any M6* was six volt. Now I know better. So, the M31* is a 1.8-3.0v light, the M361* is a multiple output 3.4-6.0v light, and the M61* is a single mode 3.4-6.0v, except for the M61SHO. It and the M91* lights are 5.5-12.0v. Have I got that straight now?

:oops:
It appears I don't. The following has been provided by one much more knowledgeable on the topic than I am. I agree with him that it is important to get the correct information out to CPF members.

M30 - 1.0V to 4.5V (some up to 5.5V)
M31 - 1.8V to 3.3V
M60 - 3.8V to 9.0V (does not apply to all variants)
M61 - 3.4V to 9.0V (does not apply to all variants)
M91 - 6.5V to 12.0V (does not apply to all variants)

M361 - 3.4V to 6.0V

In particular, "SHO" variants, "B" variants, "Direct Drive", and certain uncommon / unusual emitters, will all typically have different safe voltage ranges.

Again, I apologize for providing information that was not completely correct, and hope that this clears up any ambiguity.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Have I got that straight now?

Sorry, but no, in terms of your listed voltages above.

I'd rather not generalize, as posts with potentially misleading voltage ranges could lead someone to damage their dropin :(

Inexperienced people might land in the middle of this thread from a search and find inaccurate information.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but no, in terms of your listed voltages above.

I'd rather not generalize, as posts with potentially misleading voltage ranges could lead someone to damage their dropin :(

Inexperienced people might land in the middle of this thread from a search and find inaccurate information.
The listed voltages are ones I obtained from the specifications listed on the Malkoff Devices and Illumination Systems web pages. If you would, I would appreciate a PM explaining my most recent mistakes, since I seem prone to make them on this thread.