2D MAG LIGHT QUESTIONS

maddog

Enlightened
hi,

i'm new here. i would like to know what's the best mod for a 2D Mag-light? brightest and reasonable run time. and who could i get to build it?

thanks for your help.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incan or LED? The easiest hot rod mod by far, is to stuff in 3x123 lithiums overdriving a RadioShack KPR-112 bulb. It's pretty much the best bang for few bucks mod there is for the 2D. You could get a SpaceNeedle/Megaclops-type LED mod consisting of a 5W Lux running on 3x123 or 6xAA. There are probably a dozen more things you could try dependent on your desires.

Wilkey

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the first one, you can find 3xcr123a to 2d holders at elektrolumens.com and I got my m@g 5d xenon bulb on brightguy.com. By far the easiest mod of all.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2D Mag runs a Madmax+ pushing around 800+mA to a Luxeon Star R2H. It is much brighter than a stock mag and the throw is amazing. It's purpose in life is a frame mounted bike light.

I think the nastiest 2D Mag mod is what Ginseng told you about...a 5 watt Luxeon being pushed by a 9 volt battery pack.

One of my projects is waiting for an X binned 5W Luxeon, it will use two 4 to D converters and 8 NiMH AA batteries running through a dimmable current regulator.

Mr. Bulk has made some 2C Mags running lithiums drving a high binned 5 watter.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with KFC. My 2D Maglite is running the 3x123 adapter along with a 5D Maglite bulb, and it is significantly brighter than an unmodded 6D Mag. Mine also has a glass lens and an endcap with a D-ring on it. Great cheap mod for a Mag.

-Keith

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
how bout a 5 Watt being pushed by 2 3>D adaptors?decent run time

that's my current project but I am being side tracked with insane amounts of 5mm LEDS till I find a sutable 5W LS's or 4 1W LS's

soloco

Enlightened
I'm doing my pewter 2D, WA1274, 6 123s (2x3 configuration), UCL from flashlightlens.com, and heavy orange peel 1909 Carley reflector. I like it and it's my second brightest 2D mod. My BRIGHTEST and quite UNreasonably priced mod is to use the WA1185 instead of the WA1274; then power it with 12 CR2 (3x4 configuration). It's my brightest flashlight of ANY size, but I don't use because of the cost of CR2 batteries.

maddog

Enlightened
hi,
thanks for the info. man there are a lot of different mods. and as i'm new i don't even know what some of you are talking about. so let me kinda narrow things down a bit.

i would like to be able to buy this pre-made from someone here or else where. now for the power source. i would like to run either AAA, AA, D or C and no recharge.

price really has no bearing to me. but lets not get crazy.
and i would like it to be as bright as possible with a reasonable run time.......at least 30-40 mins.

so please if you guys can help me out.

thanks,
brandt

maddog

Enlightened
ps....if you come up with the killer combo......PLEASE don't forget that i need someone to build the thing!!! as i'm an electronic idiot!

thanks,
brandt

soloco

Enlightened
are you sure you don't want to run 123 batteries? they are perfect for high output in the 30-40 minute runtime range.

maddog

Enlightened
i would rather not run 123's as i get free batt's for work lights. as i use my flashlight almost everyday. and those batt's are either...AAA, AA, D or C.

and i'm glad i found this forum. as all i know about powerful lites are surefire! and now all of this stuff........i'm like a kid in a candy store.

brandt

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You can put 3C in it using 1" PVC pipe.

For bulb you can try 2cell Krypton. May be bright for hours may be BRIGHT for milleseconds!

I would try a 3cell Xenon M*g bulb.

I feel a LOT better putting 4C in a 3D light as far as bulb life goes.

That said, in almost every 2D light I own is the 3x123 and KPR112 mod. A cheap CRAPPY beamed dollar store light is useful modded that way.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you would probably want, is a 5 watt high flux bin Luxeon Star, 2 of those Electrolumens 3toD battery holders, and a hotlip heatsink. Most of the above mention parts are not too hard to order online, and if you want, I can help you epoxy the LS to the hotlips, wire up your mag.

Hotlips: $??
3toD x 2 = ~$8 x 2 = $16 USD
5 watt LS = $30 - $45 USD depending on how high a bin you can get
Artic Alumina Epoxy = $20 SGD @ Video-Pro @ Sim Lim Square
Fit everything together = FOC for worksmanship, maybe some $$$ to cover my transport cost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mag 2D = something I presume you already have.

Of cos if you don't want to go the 5 watt way, you can have 2 of those 3toD adapters running a 5 cell mag lite bulb, now, that's really very easy to do. Or if you want higher brightness, one of those WA bulbs potted in a PR base from Carley. There is a WA group buy going on now in the "Group Buys And Passaround" forum. You might want to pop by for a look

If there are any questions, feel free to mail me at nerdcase(at)singnet[dot]com[dot)sg