Best EDC LED for searching small areas, I prefer a flood beam over a focused spot

Opie-IN

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a new pocket light to search small areas such as cars, drawers, cabinets, etc. I will need one with a pocket clip for sure.

I am NOT looking for a tight hot spot. I am replacing a Surefire E1b that I accidentally left somewhere. I liked the size, but the beam was a little too focused for my needs. I kinda like the bulk of the CR123 flashlight, but I am open to an AA model if you guys think I need to move that direction.

Thanks for your time.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your price range? I'd suggest the Elzetta Alpha with a flood lens. Plenty of light, wide beam, high and low modes, tough as nails. Also cheaper than Surefire.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a new pocket light to search small areas such as cars, drawers, cabinets, etc. I will need one with a pocket clip for sure.
I am NOT looking for a tight hot spot. I am replacing a Surefire E1b that I accidentally left somewhere. I liked the size, but the beam was a little too focused for my needs. I kinda like the bulk of the CR123 flashlight, but I am open to an AA model if you guys think I need to move that direction.

Thanks for your time.

OT no recommendation just a tip for using your e1b for such indoor small space search purposes in the meantime- shine it toward the surface above where you're looking.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, the Malkoff lights suggested by tech25 are excellent devices. I'd also add my voice to that recommendation. However, the beam pattern will have a central hot spot produced by the reflector. Still a much broader beam than your SF.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Another option is dc-fix diffuser film. If you find a light that fits your needs (single cr123, pocket clip) but there is no flood option, it works great. I use my lights a lot for the purposes you describe so I have it on many of them.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123 flashlight w pocket clip
Olight S mini has a floody beam due to the TIR lens.
Zebralight SC32 not floody but they have a frosted lens option you can ask for when you order the light. Has a sophisticated programmable UserInterface. Or you can just turn it on, like your Surefire.. sorry you lost it

neither of the above are tailswitch lights.. hope you find something you like

Opie-IN

Newly Enlightened
So far I am really liking that Elzetta Alpha/Flood lens combo, Too bad it does not have a pocket clip.

I see they make a clip that can be added, but it seems like an afterthought and a few guys here have said the clip is junk.

The search continues...

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened
I recommend the Zebralight H53Fc, 4000K high CRI beam, floody beam profile with a smooth, blurred out hotspot, perfect for close range applications. Over a dozen well thought-out modes and 2 user programmable UI groups. Comes with a pocket clip which I find it to be very handy, clip it on my shirt and I'm good to go, 100% hands free. The CR123A equivalent would be the H32Fw, 4400K CCT but not high CRI.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
So far I am really liking that Elzetta Alpha/Flood lens combo, Too bad it does not have a pocket clip.

I see they make a clip that can be added, but it seems like an afterthought and a few guys here have said the clip is junk.

The search continues...

Pretty sure a Prometheus Ti clip fits an Alpha...Have one on my Elzetta Bravo and it's a perfect fit.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Zebralight H53Fc, 4000K high CRI beam, floody beam profile with a smooth, blurred out hotspot, perfect for close range applications. Over a dozen well thought-out modes and 2 user programmable UI groups. Comes with a pocket clip which I find it to be very handy, clip it on my shirt and I'm good to go, 100% hands free. The CR123A equivalent would be the H32Fw, 4400K CCT but not high CRI.

If the OP prefers a straight flashlight to an angle light / headlamp, a couple members have reported they were able to request frosted versions of the Zebralight SC53 or SC5 MkII. That will give a very similar beam.

The CR123A powered version is presumably coming eventually, but who knows exactly when.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several options. For longer run time and a little wider spill, look at the Nitecore EA11/EC11. the EA uses a single AA or 14500 cell, and the EC uses one CR123A or 18340.
For a smaller light, Lumintop makes the Tool and the IYP365, both of which would work well for your needs. Another good AAA light would be the Nitecore MT06 or MT06MD. The MT06 is a two mode two AAA light with a CREE emitter, while the MT06MD is a three mode with a Nichia emitter for better color rendition.

I have also found it helpful when searching for something to put the light down close to the same plane as the surface you are searching. That way anything there will cast a shadow which makes it easy to pick out. This works especially well on carpet.

TCY

Enlightened
If the OP prefers a straight flashlight to an angle light / headlamp, a couple members have reported they were able to request frosted versions of the Zebralight SC53 or SC5 MkII. That will give a very similar beam.

The CR123A powered version is presumably coming eventually, but who knows exactly when.

Hmm, thanks for pointing it out, I just realised the stock SC53 line doesn't have a F flavour. ZL is indeed quite flexible on this regard and kudos to them. A H33Fc would be the ideal emergency/super cold place light for me although under normal circumstances I would still prefer ZL's 18650 alternatives.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
You guys are complicating things. :rolleyes:

Since you lost your last light, no sense in spending a lot of money, as you will likely lose it anyway.

Get some of these, and duct tape a large paper clip to it. Less than $10 for a ten pack at Walmart.com.

... hotlinked image removed ...

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Budget ?

If not limited, I like the LensLight Mini as an excellent alternative to the E1B ....

RYDQvVN.jpg

And, yes, I often use a diffuser on my E1B ...

5sRe9T1.jpg