$ 100

Hefty 1lb with battery
    Excellent heatsinking, focus/beam, tint and throw
    SST40 Dedome
    DriverVN4

Lumen 1700
    Lux 280K
    Throw 1058

Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 09-22-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Default Re: Convoy L2vn - Budget Quality Thrower R

1st convoy with an "R" rating! ;-)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Of course I'm gonna ask how it compares to the U21vn XPL PDT, and what gives it the R over the L6.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Of course I'm gonna ask how it compares to the U21vn XPL PDT, and what gives it the R over the L6.
    L6vn disadvantage: Hot, Larger, 1/2 the lux and price

performance is comparable to U21vn but it HS much better due to mass, better beam and tint quality, and the price is the best for what you get.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Wow, just realized how big it is. Nearly the same weight as the L6, which is twice as much as the U21, so it must stay iced cold. 6.8 inches though ouch, not quite as small as the U21.

If it weren't for the size I'd get this over the U21vn, because I love me some good tint-- very tempting.

1600 lumen continuous run and 280k lux is amazing for just 115.
    Last edited by twistedraven; 08-29-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Wow, just realized how big it is. Nearly the same weight as the L6, which is twice as much as the U21, so it must stay iced cold. 6.8 inches though ouch, not quite as small as the U21.

If it weren't for the size I'd get this over the U21vn, because I love me some good tint-- very tempting.

1600 lumen continuous run and 280k lux is amazing for just 115.
    Yah no heat worries here
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I'm liking these new convoys you been offering us. It's cheaper than the other name brand lights. And they still look to be of good quality. Is this a single or double 26650? Does this dedomed give better throw than say xhp35 HI? I'm kinda curious to see what a xhp50.2 will do. I would like a bit more lumens and if it can hit 175kcd, I'll choose the 50.

It's a 26650 light. I reckon you'd get around 60% the lux with an XHP35 HI, but moreso around 2000 lumen.

This is still a dedeomed Emitter, is the tint as greenish as an XPL PDT Vinh?

Is XPG2 a possibility in this light?
    My channel - Torchesarecool UK

It's a 26650 light. I reckon you'd get around 60% the lux with an XHP35 HI, but moreso around 2000 lumen.

400 lumens isn't much. And that's already pushing it. Most xhp35hi hits around 1800 lumen range. So the DD sst-40 sounds like a much better emitter. Then vinh should put that in the tn40s and the tn42... no?

Sst40 led are same imprint as XML. It's not better than xhp 35.. I like sst40 for heat management and tint doesn't change much after dedome.. b8 you know better..

Tint doesn't shift much after sst 40 dedome. Trust me. I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Newlumen View Post
    Sst40 led are same imprint as XML. It's not better than xhp 35.. I like sst40 for heat management and tint doesn't change much after dedome.. b8 you know better..
    Larger footprint doesn't mean it has a bigger die. It doesn't, XHP35 die 5.52 mm^2 while SST40 - 4.0 mm^2. It improves thermals though. Overall, it's less efficient and ultimately less powerful LED, but (when dedomed) a throwier one.

Quote Originally Posted by Newlumen View Post
    Haha. It's just that I have not heard too much about the sst40 other than a few threads so I haven't really followed this led. But from what i heard. It runs cooler and throws further than the xhp35 hi when dedomed. And it can actually push 2400 at 9 amps. The emitter died at 9.5 amps. So if you can push like 5.5-6 amps, then that's about 2000 lumens with greater throw. Sounds like a good multi emitter project as well.
    Hint hint tn40svn ...

So what would be the benefit from this over the good ol' K40vn? About the same size (little thinner handle), less lumen (but not enough to notice), and much less throw. Maybe a little bigger hotspot and more spill?
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

We yea.. we can ask the boss to put sst40 dedome and max amp... Sst40 stock emitter are 7000k..

How hard can one 26650 push an XHP35 HI in this light?

This light just got better!

Instead of SST40 dedome I went with SST40 ultra thin shave dome instead:
    Price from drom $115 to $100
    Lux stayed at 280K
    Lumen increase from 1600 to 1700
    Factory cool tint retained
    LED reliability perserved
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Stop tempting me Vinh! My U21vn hates you.

Very tempting now. Does it have a forward switch? If not, would you be able to install one? Any comparison pics anybody with the u21vn and l2vn? All u21vn owners would appreciate you!

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    Very tempting now. Does it have a forward switch? YES
    If not, would you be able to install one? Any comparison pics anybody with the u21vn and l2vn? All u21vn owners would appreciate you! OK Will try
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

pics of u21 and l2 bodies side by side, and also beamshots side by side would be nice too.

Here you go. U21vn xpl PDT.. L2vn sst40 dedome.

I did the heat test on l2vn during summer. As you can see, the room temperature was around 90 Fahrenheit.. this light maintain 5 minutes straight turbo without step down or flickering.. this light might even run turbo longer in the colder weather.. the price also went down to $100.. I also feel it is unnecessary to get an extension.. it will look awkward because this is a thrower light.. you want to make it as compact as possible..

Sst40 dedome tint maintain cool unlike xpl PDT, and hot spot is bigger than u21vn.

Last edited by Newlumen; 09-27-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks nl. The beams look almost identical other than the tint. I would have expected a brighter spill from the l2vn.

I imagine thin dome will be slightly better tint than dedomed?

Nice to see it make the XPL PDT look green. I think mine is greenish as well, which I don't like.

My L2vn ramps very heavily down from turbo pretty fast, almost like a Zebralight. Is there a thermal regulator in vn4 that the U21 did not have?

Not mine.. I have a l2 run liitokala 26650 unprotected.. no step down.. which battery r u using?

With both a basen IMR 26650 and an LG IMR 18650 I get the same thing. It's a slow and very smooth ramp down to like 10% over a minute or so.

Some quick impressions of the SST-40 shaved dome (or thin dome) in the L2vn compared to the XPL PDT in the U21vn.

The SST-40 has a cleaner cool white tint than the XPL when both are at max output. The XPL looks slightly warmer and greener in comparison. At lower outputs, the XPL PDT has a warmer and more creamy tint than the SST-40, which turns pretty green at lower outputs.

The SST-40 has less of a corona around it. I get a very defined hotspot with some rings around the SST-40, and a slightly less defined hotspot with more a of a bright and 'cloudy' corona around the XPL.
    Last edited by twistedraven; 10-02-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Hi guys,

Do you guys have run time on max output of this light with 1x26650, and 2x26650? How long before the step down, and how hot does it get?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Is it fully, or partially potted?