Streamlight Recommendation

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

My current duty set up (law enforcement) is a Streamlight Strion on the belt and a Streamlight Protac 2L in my pocket.

I'm a believer in the "one is none" concept, and I would like a backup to my Strion. In a pinch, my 2L will work, but on long nights when I'm away from my charger, I want a slightly larger light than the 2L as a backup to my Strion.

Also, I want this light to have a clip option for plain clothes work. I have the clip kit for the Strion, and it works awesome for plainclothes work , so I would like the backup to be similar.

I can get Streamlights with a pretty decent discount from a local shop, I like pocket clips, and I frequently use the strobe function, so I'd like to stick with Streamlight.

I narrowed it down to three lights:

TL-2 LED

Protac HL

Scorpion LED with a clip kit (if possible)

Any thoughts/opinions on these lights and which one I should choose will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
You might look at the Protac 2L-X. It's a pretty good bump up (500 lumens instead of 350) from the 2L you're currently carrying and offers longer run times if you can go with an 18650. As well, it has a great clip and you're already used to the UI and the form factor. It's not giving you the larger reflector of the Strion but that means it's going to ride better in a pocket. I've had one for a few months now and it's a pretty nice light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I really, really, really like the TL2 LED but...
Battery life won't suit your needs.

Maybe check into the ProTac HLX or ProTac HL USB for dual fuel options and better lifespan. Medium settings rival your Strion while extending battery life a lot.

The Strion press/hold to adjust brightness has been replaced with a quick half press system like a ProTac uses. But with that came the ten tap method of changing interface is there though.

I like the dual fuel ProTac 1L. AA or CR123.

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
You might look at the Protac 2L-X. It's a pretty good bump up (500 lumens instead of 350) from the 2L you're currently carrying and offers longer run times if you can go with an 18650. As well, it has a great clip and you're already used to the UI and the form factor. It's not giving you the larger reflector of the Strion but that means it's going to ride better in a pocket. I've had one for a few months now and it's a pretty nice light.

I actually have a 2L-X, but it doesn't fit in my belt pouch. I think you made an excellent recommendation because it is an awesome light, but I want something that fits in the belt setup that I already have. Thanks!

Nephron44

Enlightened
I really, really, really like the TL2 LED but...
Battery life won't suit your needs.

Maybe check into the ProTac HLX or ProTac HL USB for dual fuel options and better lifespan. Medium settings rival your Strion while extending battery life a lot.

The Strion press/hold to adjust brightness has been replaced with a quick half press system like a ProTac uses. But with that came the ten tap method of changing interface is there though.

I like the dual fuel ProTac 1L. AA or CR123.

I'm actually not too worried about battery life as this will only be a backup, and I get cr123a practically for nothing.

I like the idea of the Protac HL-X, but I tried it out in the store and it didn't sit right in my light holster...not to mention it was quite a bit more expensive than my other options. I think you had great suggestions, but even with my discount, the HL-X and HL-USB are rather pricey. It's weird how I get a bigger discount on some lights than others :/

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sounds like a TL2 would be a viable option then.

For pocket carry the ProTac 1L rides comfortably in a pair of loose fitting trousers. Dual purpose clip allows an easy clip to the lip of your trouser pocket. Iirc my 160 lumen TL2 LED has a bezel up belt/pocket clip.

Latest posts