Equifax Breach Affects 143 Million Americans

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hurricanes on the east coast.
Hundreds of wildfires in the western third of the country.
And now a data breach that affects 44% of the USA population.
What's next??

Here is a very informative article on the breach:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/breach-at-equifax-may-impact-143m-americans/#comments

With all the data breaches that have taken place over the last decade, surely more than 50% of the American population has its "identity data" available to identity thieves.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if it is true of fake news, but I read somewhere that if you do put your name into the check, you waive any rights you may have to settle? Not sure if that is true or what rights we even have.
Anyways, I did the math, (well sorta) and 140 million people? If you take out the minors that leaves basically every adult in the US! WOW! Also, 3 top Execs dumped a bunch of Stock a few days before this went public. What a sham!

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if it is true of fake news, but I read somewhere that if you do put your name into the check, you waive any rights you may have to settle? Not sure if that is true or what rights we even have.
Anyways, I did the math, (well sorta) and 140 million people? If you take out the minors that leaves basically every adult in the US! WOW! Also, 3 top Execs dumped a bunch of Stock a few days before this went public. What a sham!
That's not fake news. That's the truth.

But they took flak and now offered an opt out.... Within 30 days of signing up you can write to equifax via mail to say you decline the arbitration clause (including the extra info they require).

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read to read the small print before signing up for the credit protection.

Why take out the minors?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume the minors have no Credit to protect and it is easy to prove if a minors identify has been stolen. Know what I mean?

I read on the Equifax site today that I can't sign up until the 11th. One doesn't give up his or her rights by merely checking their exposure. The link I entered my name and last four numbers of my SS didn't ask me to sign anything. However, I have read elsewhere that that's a part of the "free" protection when one does sign up.

Sweet deal. Thanks for L@@K-n out for the folks, Equifax. :goodjob: /

~ Chance

terjee

Enlightened
This is poop, but here's a fun perspective on this:

Give some thoughts to the numbers. Someone trying to run a loan scam off of SSNs, smart enough to get at this data, would have no problem getting SSNs in the first place, there's been so many leaks already. Even if you're in the pool of 143 millions, the risk of you specifically being targeted didn't change much. There's just no time to run a scam with 143 millions, and it would be noticed if someone tried with just 1/10th, probably 1/100th and 1/1000th as well.

Basically the risk of you specifically getting targeted didn't actually change much.

My point is just that it's not like you were safe yesterday, and you're at great risk now, and now you need to worry. Things shifted a bit, but the overall risk to you personally, is basically the same.

None of this should be taken as supporting Equifax, they should be screwed over this.

Bottom line; no reason to panic, read everything before you sign it, and don't stress too much.

If you're worried, sign up for a voluntary credit block. Probably a good idea anyway, it can always be disabled if you need to refinance, take out a loan to buy a car/home or similar.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading a little last night and now they're changing terms again due to pressure from the NY AG.
End of the day, just make sure you read all the fine print on this one.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I use no credit, with the exceptions of renting a car, which I don't do that any more I hire a car and driver, or the client does, and even checking in to a hotel I have a card if they must, but most just wave it when the see my sawville Row Bespoke suit.. Halliburton luggage and Platinum Rolex, I have no Debt. At all.

Everything I own is paid for.

Let me give you some advice to having a lot of money...DO NOT MAKE CAR PAYMENTS!!!

That is the biggest killer to your wealth!

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use no credit, with the exceptions of renting a car, which I don't do any more I hire a car and driver, or the client does, and even checking in to a hotel I have a card if they must, but most just wave it when the see my sawville Row Bespoke suit.. Halliburton luggage and Platinum Rolex, I have no Debt. At all.

Everything I own is paid for.

Let me give you some advice to having a lot of money...DO NOT MAKE CAR PAYMENTS!!!

That is the biggest killer to your wealth!

RedLED I'm pretty sure this effects basically everyone in the USA who has a social security number. Even if you aren't always using credit there is TONS of identifiable info on you. I'm no expert, but at a base level that's exactly the problem with huge databases like this run by private corporations. Lots of people are waking up and finding out about Equifax and saying: what's that? Then they realize they potentially have been screwed by Equifax and their "leak."

Basically if you are American and have a SS it's in your interest to really look into this situation heavily. I put in my basic info and my wife's and it seems like we aren't affected... But I don't know how trustworthy that is. Keep tabs on this everyone. Identity theft is the real problem here.

terjee

Enlightened
I use no credit

The problem with Equifax-type leaks isn't using credit, it's if others take out a line of credit in your name.

Also, credit can hide in a lot of places, where some wouldn't think of it like credit. A cellphone plan is a pretty common example. As are vendors sending you stuff with an invoice and no pre-payment. A taxi-ride even for that matter.