Arc5 delayed until 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc5 will be delayed until sometime in 2005. The reasons are that we cannot afford to produce the light right now. New products cost a tremendous amount of money and we simply do not have it right now.

The up side is this extra time will be used to improve the design further and maybe wait for 5watt LEDs from Lumileds that are rated for more than just 500 hours.

All other major projects are also delayed. I expect to see the following projects completed this year:

-Arc4 tweaks (any needed to improve the core design as they appear)
-Arc4 head knurl
-ArcAAA/AA reliability improvements
-Arc4 tail guard
-Arc4 retail packaging

Possible projects include:

-Arc4 2AA pack (contingent on large order)
-Arc4 pouch
-Plant restructuring to reduce costs and improve production times

The headlamp, 2x123 pack, etc will likely be delayed with the Arc5.

Peter

jdb2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update, Peter. Slow and steady is fine with me....gives me more time to save for the Arc 5, too.

Jay

Radagast

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

oh well

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
Hey, whatever keeps you in business works for me.

Really, it sounds like a smart plan, and it's great that you let us know what to expect. Keep innovating...
-J

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Putting the Arc4 2AA pack before the 2x123 seems a strange decision.
Lengthening the existing pack seems like it would take zero R&D and minimal tooling whereas the 2AA pack would be starting from scratch.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
What am I missing?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
Putting the Arc4 2AA pack before the 2x123 seems a strange decision.
Lengthening the existing pack seems like it would take zero R&D and minimal tooling whereas the 2AA pack would be starting from scratch.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with GJW on this one. All that needs to be done is to lengthen the existing 1x123 pack by the size of a 123-cell. That's not even really a design change, is it. Is just a matter of cutting the tube longer than what it is now.

nexro

Enlightened
I would rather buy an improved version of the Arc4 rather than the latest Arc5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i think it would be best to hold off on the 2x123 pack for now because the Arc5 is the one that really needs it. It would be a waste to develop one right now and find out that it wouldn't even work for the Arc5. But that's just my reasoning.

I like that the Arc5 will be delayed. There are many competitors comming out with uC controlled/multi level lights now. With the rate of change that Luxeon is going through, and with all the interest in flashlight companies now... it won't be long until more and better improvements to the Luxeon line will be made.

Maybe a 5w equivilent 1W or LuxIII, a 5W with a longer life, brighter LEDs across the board....who knows.

Slow and steady sounds nice.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ray and GJW,

Not that anyone asked for my 2 cents but I'd agree with you except for two possible considerations.

1) Some customers have stated that they can't use 123 based lights, 2x123 doesn't present a solution for them whereas 2xAA does.
2) in either case of a 2x tube, I think some problems might arise in the "lack of range" the Arc4 battery train system can effectively accomodate. There isn't a spring in line in the system that can allow for a significant variation in the stack length of the batteries. A 2x tube will see twice the variation in cell length that a 1x does. This may or may not be an issue but I certainly would be warry of it! If it is a problem, I can think of a couple viable solutions but they do go beyond a simple lengthening of the battery tube.

OK, I'll go back under my rock now....

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww shucks, now I can save some money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I agree with Peter that the 2AA should come before 2x123. Mostly due to the increase usability of the Arc 4+ and sales of Arc 4+ will probably goes up as well.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Peter, no matter what you do, make sure Arc stay alive. You guys make really nice lights and I hate to see that the company goes under.

srue

Newly Enlightened
Well I have to admit I am disappointed. I was really looking forward to the Arc5 and was hoping to get one for my birthday in April. Maybe next year. I guess more goes into developing it than simply slapping on a 5W LED and adding some light levels.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif ArrgGGHhh!! (and other sounds of severe yet mature disappointment)

Sigh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Not that I was waiting for a new Arc5+ with 2x123 body and a pila cell or anything...

Gotta go get some meds...

Geode

Enlightened
Peter,

It was good of you to let us know. I agree with those who said do what you feel is best to sustain the business.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
I can always wait for a good light -- and Peter, thank you for giving us the truth, and not a run-around.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

In the mean time, might I (we) request a 2004 CPF (something?)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again for letting us know.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Peter, I'm somewhat confused. If it's a "not enough money coming in" thing, one would expect that everything and anything possible to sell the existing product line would be underway, however it appears that nothing is in stock. It's sort of a Catch-22. You need to sell existing product to get $$$ in, but there's no stock to sell. I understand that sales of the AAA and AA were just recently held due you wanting to take a more serious look at the circuit, however that doesn't explain the issue with stock up until that point. To my knowledge, the LSH-P and LSH-F have not been in stock for some time. Currently the Arc4+ is not in-stock. I guess I'm at a loss to understand how the $$$ can flow in if there's no product to sell? I hope Arc is not going to a "build them as they're ordered" model.

Status
Not open for further replies.