the Arc Headlamp--what will it be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
Now that we will be waiting a little while for more great lights from Arc,perhaps our appetites can be whetted a little. Personally,after a EDC
(a slot which the Arc4 so admirably fills),my 2nd greatest light need is for a headlamp of similar quality. I was hoping for it by this summer (sigh) but I
will wait for the best.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
Thanks,paulr.I'm aware of their products, as I do alot of climbing and backpacking in Europe. I'm interested in using this thread to talk about the Arc product(come out Peter ,wherever you are). Once we have more info on what it might be all about,we can compare it with the Lupines,upcoming Streamlights,etc. Are there specific features you would like to see ?

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
It would also be nice if the price point would be considerably less than the $350 and up Lupine headlamp systems.

paulr

Flashaholic
For a while I've wanted Arc to make an anglehead version of the AAA, basically the regular AAA except with the led pointing out the side of the head instead of out the end. That would allow making a very simple accessory headband, just a thin elastic band with an elastic sleeve to hold the light, maybe using the pocket clip to make it a little more secure. You'd adjust the up-down angle by rotating the light in the sleeve. You could also use the light handsfree with no headband, by clipping it in your shirt pocket with the pocket clip, so the led points forward and you can see where you're going.

paulr

Flashaholic
That's a cute Kydex clip for the Arc LS. The Arc4 also works ok as a headlamp, with its included bezel-up clip.

Peter, if you're reading this, it occurs to me that headlamp usage is yet another reason to make press-and-hold kick the brightness up to level 1 and leave it there rather than being momentary. Handsfree lights and momentary activation by definition don't go together.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
I assume that Mr. Gransee is working on a Luxeon based light(1watt? 3? 5?) that would borrow the Arc4's operating features. I for one would like the multiple light setting options.Seperate,flanking 5mm leds for closeup/longterm use.Perhaps.Focusable(the horror)? It would have a separate powerpack for balance and multiple power source options.3 point suspension for comfort.Tiltable +/- 30 degrees. Perhaps the ability to detach the light and with a seperate head-mounted power source, allow hand operation or clip to a chest pocket like the venerable anglelight.
Clever,Fastlane.I assume that's your new 4?

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened
Yep, it's the 4. And the best part is the kydex sheath won't work with all those rubber rings on the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I emailed Bull Dog and found out their sheath for the Arc4 is $25 + shipping. Waiting for a reply if they will offer a qty. price for a group buy if there is enough interest.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Why doesn't Peter just make a headband/battery pack with a switch assy for the arc4+? If I understand the switching aspect of the arc4+ correctly, it wouldn't be terribly hard to do.

Radagast

Enlightened
On the chat a few weeks ago I thought Peter said the headlight was going to be more than 300 dollars. Isn't a collaboration with someone?

I would love an angled aaa! It could be worn on a lanyard for hands free use without having to use a headband. It would be good for working at night and reading and doing paperwork type stuff. Please Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I came down from in the dark hiking in NH this weekend in the dark with my Arc 4 clipped to my visor on my baseball cap, which went over a balaclava. Only in my case the light was below the visor so it could cast light down- but now that I look at the picture above I suppose it doesn't matter. Worked great. Only problem is, sometimes I wear two headlights (the 2nd being a Tikka Plus) and it would be hard to do that with this setup. I also have a Lupine- excellent but very expensive.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
But until the Arc comes out in 2005(?)and I'm hoping it will, I will be using a Princeton Tec Yukon HL (on order).Probably the nicest headlamp for the price I've seen. Nice review on Quickbeam's site. Luxeon,secondary LEDs,
comfortable head harness (except for reading snuggled in my bag because of the battery pack),reasonable throw.
I've used my Arc4+ on my cap--nice to have the option,in a pinch.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
The Yukon is a very nice headlight- if you want to solve the reading in the sleeping bag problem the Tikka Plus or the brighter Matrix 2 is a good compromise between the Tikka Plus and the Yukon. I went winter camping with the Matrix 2 and the Arc4+ and either one could serve as a headlamp, with a baseball cap, although a baseball cap doesn't always work that well with high winds and blowing spindrift. There would be, I believe a HUGE market among climbers, hikers, and SAR personnel for a 1,3 or 5 W Luxeon driven to full brightness, presumably with a metal head. Most people who shop at REI or EMS for their gear don't even know that the PT and BD 1W lights are under-driven and not as bright as the lights from ARC, etc., and would buy them right up. For now, though, I guess I'll have to wait to see if Lupine comes out with something or until 2005, or somebody's mod since I'm not a modder myself.

haley1

Enlightened
My wife bought me this cheap LED light from K Mart for X-mas, a small bullit type. It came with this clip, a ring that the light slides into which is attached to a cloths pin looking thing. But it is adustible in any direction so if used on a cap or even a head band it could be adjusted to point any direction in front of you. If I could figure out a way to use it with my ARC AAA it would be great for reading in the tent, ect. But it is smaller, shims I suppose would work. But if Peter or someother enterprising person could find out where they're made, or could be, they would work great for almost any hands free task. Made for all three sizes of lights of course. The clip does however fit the tailcap of the Dorcy AAA, works for reading. But I want one to fit by ARCs damit, I mean darn it. Uh nevermind.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think i remember Peter saying in chat, that the ARC headlamp will be a 5 watt luxeon version of the HDS actionlight with the ARC electronics.

Mattman

Enlightened
That Action Light is one odd looking light. The only reviews I've seen make it look like a brick with some LED's in the side of it. It looks more like what I'd call a helmetlight than a headlight to me. I hope Peter can come up with something more exciting than that.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
Please ,please may it not be based on the Action Light architecture. I hope that if Peter Gransee is collaborating w/ HDS,that it would reflect his design sensibilities( I think his designs not only work incredibly well but look very elegant in a form = function way) . And I hope that the design be versatile enough to be used as both a helmet light (sensible enough for climbing-which I do- and caving) and a harness mounted headlamp which I can comfortably use for backpacking and approaches. Any way he has more time to perfect it before release and I'm patient.
Here's a thought--- If this is a 5 watt luxeon,perhaps the same head for the upcoming Arc 5 can be used and be interchangeable between hand and head carry.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Good idea. He could advertise in Climbing, Rock and Ice, and Backpacker. The market is definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.