XHP50 vs XHP35 plus diffuse filter

Chad Varnadore

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons between getting an Armytek Viking Pro using the XHP50 and getting their Predator Pro with the XHP35 and adding a non-colored diffuse filter. It seems like the 35 with filter would be the all around best option, giving me both distance and close quarters. But I'm not at all familiar with the new XHP50 LEDs and as the majority of my use will likely be more close than far, I can't help but wonder if the added lumens and unfiltered spread will be more to my liking, since I presume the filter will significantly reduce the 35's brightness. Thanks in advance.

chumley

Enlightened
Hi Chad, my experience with those 2 leds is the xhp50 has a bigger hotspot and brighter spill than the xhp35. So I don't feel the need to diffuse the beam, but the xhp35 isn't the best choice for close up lighting. Any diffusion filter will make the beam better for up close lighting at the expense of no throw. I usually still want some throw so I don't use the diffusion filters much.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both lights as well. My copies of the new XHP35HI Pred Pros almost all have horrible tint vs. their XP-L HI predecessors. My warm white XHP50 Viking Pro freaking rocks though. It is easily the best AT I have bought in a long time. It seems at least to my eyes that the XHP50 VP may actually be the only one of the new XHP emitter AT's that actually meets its advertised performance numbers. I have my warm white XHP50 VP set up with a new battery tube for a Barracuda for it so I can go 2x3500mah 18650(I prefer the Orbtronic flavor). The light is so bright at max out put it usually kind of hurts just to even look at it lol. I do notice a clearly visible jump in output with the 2xsources set up...